PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs HD-SKO Gussets?

DavidAlexander
03-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Quick question I hope you guys can weigh in on. I am going to weld on my sliders soon and was thinking about adding a corner gusset to each post where it is welded to the scab plate.

Do I need to do this or is it overkill? I figured that if there was a problem Richard would have already added this to the design. Thanks :coffee:

Scuba
03-03-2009, 08:49 PM
There's likely no problem with the design of the sliders themselves. Although if you have time and supplies I wouldnt consider it overkill at all. I thought I remember seeing random different shaped and sized gussets at FROR but cant find them..? But yeah..GET R DONE !!

Scuba
03-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Ohh, Trail gear works also...https://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=1200071K EDIT:: Heck yes...http://www.barnes4wd.com/index.php?cPath=354

slosurfer
03-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Call/email Richard and ask him. Depending on your wheeling, I'm going to say it's overkill.

I know there are a couple ways of thinking about them. For instance, it may keep that slider leg from bending but instead bends the frame.

I don't know for sure, but I bet Richard will let you know. :thumbup:

DavidAlexander
03-03-2009, 09:32 PM
Call/email Richard and ask him. Depending on your wheeling, I'm going to say it's overkill.

I know there are a couple ways of thinking about them. For instance, it may keep that slider leg from bending but instead bends the frame.

I don't know for sure, but I bet Richard will let you know. :thumbup:

Im going to shoot him an email and i'll post his reply.

And thanks scuba for the links. :smokin:

Scuba
03-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Hah, No problem David, Thank my bordem :D

Good Times
03-03-2009, 11:18 PM
The basic entry level sliders don't normally have the gussets but if you plan to abuse your truck, I highly recommend it. It's good insurance to have them on there and also reinforced the sliders and prevents any unwanted flexing.

The gussets are easy to make (if you have extra sheet metal and a cutoff wheel).

Good luck!

DavidAlexander
03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I wanted to post what the response was from Stubbs.

"Hello David,

No you don’t need any extra bracing basically for the reason you stated (being to stiff). It’s good to have the “legs” have some give for that reason!!! If you have any other questions please feel free to ask!

Talk to you soon,

Richard"

I think I'll just mount mine as is since they are not meant to be indestructable or last forever. :coffee:

corax
03-05-2009, 04:05 PM
. . . . also, if you put the gussets vertically on the top, they can act like a can opener on the frame (high specific force on a small area) -- I always thought when I finally get a set I would put them on like this:

\ /
O

or maybe

/O\

or even

-O-

Scuba
03-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Keith, One and three look doable, But 2 seems like it wouldnt do much, How often are the boulders pushing down on the sliders..? I mean, It does sorta seem like it would dissapate weight and force a bit...but idk...

corax
03-06-2009, 05:09 AM
Keith, One and three look doable, But 2 seems like it wouldnt do much, How often are the boulders pushing down on the sliders..? I mean, It does sorta seem like it would dissapate weight and force a bit...but idk...

it would pull on the gussets instead of push on them, just as strong if the welds are good - though it might be difficult to weld the gussets at the top

DavidAlexander
03-06-2009, 07:48 AM
I like the idea of the gussets but I'll listen to Richard and try it without. I can always do it different next time or add some and Ill be able to let people know my experience after doing it this way.

Scuba
03-06-2009, 08:11 AM
Keith, Makes sense now...

waskillywabbit
03-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Loading on sliders is for the most part up/down (vertical).

If you gusset in this plane | it creates a point load or a higher load per a smaller linear distance.

If you gusset in this plane - it spreads the same load out over a greater linear distance.

Personally, you don't need gussets. They are unnecessary and just extra pointless welding.

:guitar:

randver
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
i have put a couple of dents in the bottom of my ultimate SKO sliders from stubbs and have not had any part of the slider or legs bend in anyway. so i dont see the need for gussets

DavidAlexander
03-06-2009, 08:08 PM
i have put a couple of dents in the bottom of my ultimate SKO sliders from stubbs and have not had any part of the slider or legs bend in anyway. so i dont see the need for gussets

Did you leave a 1/2" between the pinch weld? Im going to be putting them on tomorrow.

randver
03-07-2009, 10:35 AM
yes i only have 1/2" between the two

DavidAlexander
03-07-2009, 12:17 PM
yes i only have 1/2" between the two

Thanks, turns out I wont get to borrow the welder until monday so I'm mocking them in place and clearing the frame today to get ready.

DavidAlexander
03-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Thanks for the info and help guys, I'll get some more pics when I FINALLY use em.
http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo42/Dastoll/005-7.jpg
http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo42/Dastoll/006-8.jpg
http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo42/Dastoll/011-6.jpg

Crozhawk
03-08-2009, 08:56 AM
I have pretty much the same sliders on my 06' and I think it needs some gussets atleast near the rear extended area. Everytime I use them, I end up having to bend the damn things back down so I can open the rear door again on the passenger side. I love Richards sliders but that is the one area that needs a little reinforcement.

I'm afraid if I don't do it soon, it will just bend more and more as it gets weaker with each iteration. ....just have to find time as I have about 6 projects going on at once :confused: