PDA

View Full Version : need opinions on grease leaking from cv joint

troyboy162
03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
ok heres the deal i have one cv joint that has alwasy had a little grease coming out from iton the small end of the inboard boot, when i lifted it got worse of course. but heres the thing...it just wont stop. every run where i turn the wheel alot results in a substantial amount of grease escaping. the boot is on there fairly tight and there are no cuts. the grease seems more grey then the little grease that has come from the others. my too thoughts are:

-maybe there is gear oil getting in. but my gear oil is purple right now and that would dye the grease quite a bit if it was coming through in quatitys enough to displace the grease.

-maybe this boot was regreased at some point and way to much was put in.

from what ive read some people say grease coming out means there plenty in there so dont worry. others say use some hose clamps to tighten things down more. others say dont use the hose fittings because they will cause the boot to tare after you take out the slight movment thy have from the factory.

what do people think?

Scuba
03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
If you want to try the new clampy dealy they have them at vatozone for like 5 bucks or so, grab a couple packs as when I needed one I put it together the wrong way which mad it un useable.
Anyway, If you end up finding a rip or anything ill help you change it...although idk what im doing id like the experience... :thumbup: Good luck buddy

Seanz0rz
03-12-2009, 12:27 PM
probably too much grease.

go get yourself a hose clamp, the screw kind, and put on there, thats what i did with mine, stopped the leaking...

ive yet to tear mine after about 2 years of it being like that...

Robinhood4x4
03-12-2009, 06:05 PM
It's common for the 3rd gens after a lift. Hose clamps seem to be the remedy.

MTL_4runner
03-14-2009, 07:01 AM
It's common for the 3rd gens after a lift. Hose clamps seem to be the remedy.

X2

Happened to mine and once the boots are old, they are tough to seal again.
Screw type hose clamp may stop it but be careful because they can damage the boot too.