PDA

View Full Version : Car Alarm Remote

calrockx
04-02-2009, 09:34 AM
Anyone know of where to get a better deal on a new one than through the dealer?

Or there's always Northridge Toyota if they're still giving their UY discount.

Seanz0rz
04-02-2009, 09:39 AM
i always see tons on ebay, you could try that.

Bob98SR5
04-02-2009, 11:30 AM
chuck,

you dont already have a stock toyota alarm? and whats your goal? is it mainly for the keyless entry? or do you live/sleep and work close enough to hear your alarm going off?

if youre looking for plug and play, then toyota is your best bet. dont buy used. personally i think toyota alarms are problematic. at least the rs3000s were. and definitely solder in connections vs using the taps

i have a totally different view of alarms since installing one: i think they are a waste of time. id just get keyless entry. no one listens to alarms anymore. and do you really want to go out numbchucks a blazin' aka corky and go put them in a casket...over a truck? i understand we are all proud of our vehicles, but hey, is it worth it?

i'd go lockjack with a keyless entry system which are really cheap these days and easy to install. or there are a lot of cool gps tracking systems too.

YotaFun
04-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Anyone know of where to get a better deal on a new one than through the dealer?

Or there's always Northridge Toyota if they're still giving their UY discount.

eBay would be your best bet on stock replacement.
Like Bob said, don't buy used.

See what kind of discount Northridge could get you too.

Seanz0rz
04-02-2009, 11:56 AM
if its a stock toyota, id pull it out and put in a crime stopper 2002, armor the starter wires like i did (sorry, no pics!)

CJM
04-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Alarms as a theft deterrent are a waste unless they defeat the starter. Most wont figure it out, but those of us who know how can jump the starter easy.

If you want keyless entry thats a better idea.

If you do want a real way they cant steal the truck-if it has a neutral position on the transfer case put it in that-even if they get it started they cant leave :)

garrett
04-02-2009, 03:08 PM
i have a totally different view of alarms since installing one: i think they are a waste of time. id just get keyless entry. no one listens to alarms anymore. and do you really want to go out numbchucks a blazin' aka corky and go put them in a casket...over a truck? i understand we are all proud of our vehicles, but hey, is it worth it?

that's funny bob because recently i've been thinking the same thing about my commando 870 i bought shortly after yall did the group buy.

i hardly ever set it anymore because i park in my campus parking lots and there's been more than once where something trips it and i dont even know it until the battery's dead.

for a while i was just thankful for the keyless entry part, but those button cells die after only a month or 2! what a waste! :chair:

Bob98SR5
04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Garrett,

I "unhooked" the horn...when it had been going on and off and i couldnt turn it off with the remote :)

CJM
04-02-2009, 03:58 PM
FWIW the PO put in an aftermarket keyless entry/alarm/remote start and only hooked up the keyless entry. My one remote has never died in 5 years and the other one i dropped and musta broke soemthing b/c it dont work anymore. The old camrys batteries never died either in 5 years.

calrockx
04-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I have the regular stock Toyota alarm. I'm just looking for one of those alarm arm/disarm remotes because one of my two broke.

The dealer wants 140 for a new one and 90 to program it.

CJM
04-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Ebay it then and program it yourself, from what i gather its not to hard at all.