PDA

View Full Version : How do I install a program from a thumb drive?

DHC6twinotter
04-04-2009, 12:28 PM
So, I've got a program on our pc that I'm trying to install on our new Netbook PC. Since there is no CD rom drive, I'm trying to install it from a thumb drive. I thought this was an easy process, but maybe it's a bit more tricky than I thought.

Anyways, here's what I tried:

OS is XP.

1. I placed the CD into our PC (not the netbook) and began installation.
2. When prompted for an install location, I selected the thumb drive.
3. Program installed from the CD to the thumb drive.
4. Insert thumb drive into Netbook.
5. Sorted through the files and clicked on the install folder.
6. Got an error, and now I'm lost.

What am I missing? Does my thumb drive require software to make it bootable? :confused:

Thanks folks.

Seanz0rz
04-04-2009, 12:34 PM
used to be able to do this way back in the day. sadly modern windows requires an entry into registry.

to run a program off a flash drive you need something like sandisk's u3 file system on the thumbdrive.

thats as much info as i have, you just cant do it like you tried.

now to install FROM (and not to)a thumbdrive, simply copy the files from the cd to the thumbdrive. in my computer, right click on the cd drive, click explore. highlight all, drag them to the thumbdrive (in explorer of course, just like moving files from one folder to another). wait for that to finish, eject the thumbdrive, put it in the netbook, and find the setup.exe or whatever, and run that.

if you need any more help, just give me a call. im not sure how much ill be around the computer the next two days, but ill deff be back monday evening (pdt)

DHC6twinotter
04-04-2009, 12:39 PM
used to be able to do this way back in the day. sadly modern windows requires an entry into registry.

to run a program off a flash drive you need something like sandisk's u3 file system on the thumbdrive.

thats as much info as i have, you just cant do it like you tried.

Thanks Sean. I think I do have a U3 thumb drive somewhere, so I'll try that if I can't get this to work. Ideally, I'd preffer not to run the program from the thumb drive, but completely install it on the Netbook. Then erase the thumb drive.

now to install FROM (and not to)a thumbdrive, simply copy the files from the cd to the thumbdrive. in my computer, right click on the cd drive, click explore. highlight all, drag them to the thumbdrive (in explorer of course, just like moving files from one folder to another). wait for that to finish, eject the thumbdrive, put it in the netbook, and find the setup.exe or whatever, and run that.

I think this is more along the lines of what I'm trying to do. I'll give it another shot.

Thanks Sean.

Seanz0rz
04-04-2009, 12:42 PM
yeah then you deff want that second option.

DHC6twinotter
04-04-2009, 01:31 PM
I've been trying to open the installer.exe file, which I'm assuming is the installation file. Nothing else sounds close. Still not working though. I'm going to take a break for a half hour or so. lol.

tulsa_sr5
04-04-2009, 02:28 PM
did you copy the whole folder over & then move it from the thumbdrive to the netbook? Usually setup.exe is what i've seen to run. It will prob use other files in that folder though.

DHC6twinotter
04-04-2009, 02:34 PM
did you copy the whole folder over & then move it from the thumbdrive to the netbook? Usually setup.exe is what i've seen to run. It will prob use other files in that folder though.

Yep, I copied the entire folder from the PC to the thumb drive, then moved it from the thumb drive to the Netbook's desktop. No setup.exe file that I can find, but I'll check again.

DHC6twinotter
04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
http://images.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/idea.gif http://images.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/idea.gif http://images.ih8mud.com/images/smilies/idea.gif

Doh! I figured it out. So it was actually super easy to do.

Instead of inserting the CD into the computer and installing it, I should have just inserted the CD, canceled the autoplay, opened the CD file, and copied everything from there. And, low and behold, there is even a file labeled setup.exe! haha.

So if I understand correctly, because I was trying to transfer a program that was already installed on one pc, none of the setup files would transfer to the thumb drive since they were already setup (and thus non-existant). That's why all I could ever find at first were un-install files (which is kinda what made me think of what I was doing wrong).

So anyways, all figured out now. Super easy. :hillbill:

Thanks guys. Always nice to learn something new. :thumbup:

DHC6twinotter
04-04-2009, 08:57 PM
BTW, I LOVE this netbook. Super quite too, and the battery lasts a while. It's been running off the battery for the past 3 hours while I've been installing and deleating programs. Still has 60% left. :D

tulsa_sr5
04-05-2009, 03:47 AM
Cool! Which netbook did you get? I love my eee but there are a ton more options than when I got mine.

DHC6twinotter
04-05-2009, 09:06 AM
We got the Acer AspireOne. Our particular model came with a 160 gig hard drive, 1 gig ram, and a 10.1" screen. Asus makes a netbook that is almost identical, but it was $50 more, so we picked up the Acer instead. We were also close to buying a smaller Asus with the 8.9" screen, but the keyboard was way to small. It's amazing how much the extra inch on this makes so much difference.

Here's the exact model we got: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115551

I like it. :thumbup:

reggie 00
04-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Another way to do it in the future is to set up your computers DVD/Cd Drive as a shared drive. When you get on with the netbook map the shared DVD/Cd drive in My Computer.

Next time you want to do anything with a DVD/CD just put it in the Main computer and open up My computer on the netbook and away you go.

I got ahold of about 7 workstation PC's when an office closed. They didn't have any removable media drives on them. So i shared my PC's drives and did it like i explained above.

Kind of like sharing your printer.

tulsa_sr5
04-05-2009, 11:07 AM
That looks nice Dan, I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade. The original one only has a 7" screen which is ok, but a little more would be nice. I think it's pretty cool that the whole netbook segment is taking off. My 15" laptop has only been out of it's case twice in the last year and a half.

Lee
06-26-2009, 11:57 PM
Another way to do it in the future is to set up your computers DVD/Cd Drive as a shared drive. When you get on with the netbook map the shared DVD/Cd drive in My Computer.

Next time you want to do anything with a DVD/CD just put it in the Main computer and open up My computer on the netbook and away you go.

I got ahold of about 7 workstation PC's when an office closed. They didn't have any removable media drives on them. So i shared my PC's drives and did it like i explained above.

Kind of like sharing your printer.
yup or one of those usb external cd drives would work too!