PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust exit location.

cootees
04-11-2007, 08:32 AM
I purchased an MC rear bumper a while back and now I need to relocate the exit of the exhaust. I prefer to get it our of the way and not exit it under the tubular bumper.

I thought about dumping it over the axle but I am concerned about getting fumes while my rear window is down.

Can anyone speak from experience on this matter? Or are there any suggestions?

Tofer
04-11-2007, 08:40 AM
i can tell you that when i only had the stock muffler and no tail pipe i couldnt drive witht he rear window, got an exhaust installed and now i dont get headaches on long trips.

Swissdrums
04-11-2007, 09:03 AM
just lift it up a bit...closer to the tube bumper

otherwise the only other way i can see is cuting it short or doing side exhaust, but if u have sliders that wont work, :headscratch:

drguitarum2005
04-11-2007, 09:13 AM
seems like you need to raise it up and have it dump out the back if you dont want to deal with fumes coming in...

amgraham
04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
To pass VA inspection it has to exit outside the vehicle on SUVs (which is why I need to re-do mine since I had to cut it off after I crushed it the last time). I plan it exit it out the side near the stock location but further forward and fab something on to the bumper to protect it from getting hammered.

Ric
04-11-2007, 12:39 PM
heres where i cut mine:

I havent had "any" issues with smell or fumes, no headaches, Ive tried every combination with the windows down, and its been fine.

well, seems as if Photbucket is not allowed here, not sure why

cootees
04-11-2007, 01:25 PM
just lift it up a bit...closer to the tube bumper

otherwise the only other way i can see is cuting it short or doing side exhaust, but if u have sliders that wont work, :headscratch:

Yeah, sliders are due to be going on in the next week or so too so a side exit is out of the question.

To pass VA inspection it has to exit outside the vehicle on SUVs (which is why I need to re-do mine since I had to cut it off after I crushed it the last time). I plan it exit it out the side near the stock location but further forward and fab something on to the bumper to protect it from getting hammered.

I have connections on inspections so I am not too concerned about the exit location. The reason why I want to change it out is that when we went to shoe creek I slammed it down on a rock pretty hard and I would prefer to just move it out of the way so it does not happen again.

heres where i cut mine:

I havent had "any" issues with smell or fumes, no headaches, Ive tried every combination with the windows down, and its been fine.

well, seems as if Photbucket is not allowed here, not sure why

Definately get a picture up when photobucket starts to function properly... or you could always link it.

If I am going to catch fumes with dumping it over the axle then the only real solution I see to get it up and out of the way is to cut a hole in the side of the body and have it exit there inbetween the tubes of the bumper. Anyone ever done this?

Ric
04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
lets try this again :hillbill:
heres where i cut mine:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/Ric4rnr/bumper/IMG_2157.jpg

amgraham
04-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah, mine's currently cut about the same place after I crushed it at Crozet :D . I haven't had any fume problems with it either.

Tofer
04-11-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.eakland.net/sas/P8090704.JPG
thats were mine was.... plus my tail gate is dented out so there is a good size gap between the tailgate and the body....

cootees
04-11-2007, 04:15 PM
lets try this again :hillbill:
heres where i cut mine:
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/Ric4rnr/bumper/IMG_2157.jpg

You are in a 3rd gen though, right? You don't actually have the rear window that rolls down in the tailgate... thats where I am worried about the fumes coming in through.

Ric
04-11-2007, 04:25 PM
cootees
yes its a 3rd gen, and yes the rear window rolls down, and yes i sometimes drive it it down, lol
and no, havent had any issues, lol

cootees
04-11-2007, 04:33 PM
cootees
yes its a 3rd gen, and yes the rear window rolls down, and yes i sometimes drive it it down, lol
and no, havent had any issues, lol

gotcha.. I didn't think the rear window rolls down on the 3rd gens.

Ric
04-11-2007, 04:40 PM
yeppers, i think all of the 3rd gens do

garrett
04-11-2007, 05:02 PM
all 4runners do...

military_stang
04-13-2007, 12:26 PM
So why don't you just extend it and dump it right before your bumper??? Even if you have sliders it will still fit right in next to it to mak it a clean look??

military_stang
:bangdesk:

91ToyTrck
04-23-2007, 02:40 PM
I say a little trimming from where the stock location comes out would do the trick without having any issues of fumes in your truck. I realy wouldn't worry about having it comes out 100%. You would eventually hit your tailpipe on something on some trail.

military_stang
04-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Any news... have you installed anything yet???

military_stang

cootees
04-24-2007, 04:50 PM
Any news... have you installed anything yet???

military_stang

Nah, not yet. Hopefully I will be installing the bumper this weekend and come up with a plan from there.

91_4x4runner
04-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Even the 4th gen's have a rear rolling window.