PDA

View Full Version : Lexus IS C starts at $38,490, RX450h at $41,660

Good Times
04-24-2009, 11:41 AM
The RX might be a girlie vehicle but damn it really drives and handles well. I was very impressed by the comfort/feel and the luxury that I wouldn't mind driving one on a regular basis. The IS... eh too small

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/04/10_2010_lexus_rx_fd_580op.jpg

Lexus has been struggling like every other automaker in the US, but it's hoping to get some help at the showroom floor with the all-new RX450h and the new IS convertibles. With the IS C launch scheduled for late May and the RX450h in line for a mid-summer debut, Toyota's luxury arm has announced pricing to help keep interest strong.

The RX450h starts at $41,660 for the base front-wheel drive model, and $43,250 if you want all-wheel drive. The 2010 RX hybrid is upgraded in almost every way, yet its base price will drop versus the 2008 model. The FWD is $420 cheaper, while the AWD model is $230 less. The newest Lexus hybrid will achieve 32 mpg in the city and 28 mpg on the highway, 16-20% better than the outgoing RX400h. The new standard-bearing hybrid crossover will also add 27 more horsepower versus the 2009 model, with a combined 295 hp split between the electric motor and Atkinson cycle 3.5-liter V6.

The all-new IS hard top convertibles are also en-route to your local Lexus dealer, starting at $38,490. That price will net you a base 2.5 model with a six-speed manual transmission. With a six-speed auto, the IS250C will cost $39,660. The 306 hp IS350C will have an MSRP of $43,940. The IS convertible three-piece hardtop is made of light weight aluminum and it retracts in a mere 20 seconds. Other changes to the IS convertible include new fog lamps and a revised front air dam. The rear overhand also increases by two inches, allowing the trunk to swallow a full-size golf bag.

The IS C and RX hybrid also carry an $875 destination charge. Hit the jump to read the very detailed Lexus press release.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/10/04_lexus_is250c_press.jpg

2ndGen
04-24-2009, 11:48 AM
The very first time I drove an RX, my first impression was "Damn!! that's a pretty expensive minivan".

Lee
04-24-2009, 01:00 PM
my dad was on the verge of buying the rx but he really didnt like a few things about it... 1) the complexity of the nav system / computer, 2) the way the front bumper juts in all the sudden at a 45 deg angle (looks like its missing something!), 3) it's hefty in the price tag

he's probably going with the audi q5 instead.

Obi..
04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
*Best Paul Hogan impersonated voice you can imagine here*

That's nawt enn Essss Youuuu Veeehh, nawww diss is ann Essss Youuuu Veeehh!

Limo tint and throw on a minor lift kit so you can roll 33" A/T's..
http://assets.clickmotive.com/ail/stills_white_0640/5823/5823_st0640_046.jpg

Why? Well..Meh..if I had to choose between three of my recent's, the Venza, the RX, and the IS Coupe, it would still be the Venza. Lexus is losing a bit of flavor right now IMHO and is trying too hard to compete with Honda and Accura. Too much body roll and front dive in the mountains and there's that whole blind rear corner visibility issue, which IMHO is worse than the FJC's.

Tell you what, when I have $48k to throw out, yes, that's a real dealership up-equipped number I'll take the financing and just throw down for the Land Cruiser and spend another $20k-ish plus. (Nah, you know i'd build up an 80 or 100 series first :) )

*Please now, no drama from this reply. :spit:

Obi..
04-24-2009, 01:09 PM
*Side topic..how come people don't just build sick rides anymore? Maybe it's how I look at things, you could do a lot w/ $48k is all I'm pointing out..import one of the HJ's from South America..dangit, where's that pic of Steve Bisig's rig or one of the FROR rides...http://www.flickr.com/groups/patrolcruiser/pool/

corax
04-24-2009, 02:01 PM
I like my is300, the is250 is a nice ride, haven't had a chance at an is350, would LOVE to hot-lap an IS-F . . . I just don't understand (well I DO understand) how they could have an IS coupe when the IS stands for International SEDAN

tulsa_sr5
04-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Corax you have an IS??? i love the previous gen and after seeing a 250 in red I'm very tempted by them. The new RX leaves me a little cold though. They had the best c-pillar in segment and threw it away.

Obi..
04-24-2009, 05:17 PM
;) He doesn't have it, she does. :D Where's that pic from his XC thread...

Don't get me wrong btw, both new vehicles have changes as far as drivetrain and little refinements, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one not loving the new styling cues. The IS F is where I'd go I it came down to it, just for the handling..

corax
04-24-2009, 05:44 PM
;) He doesn't have it, she does. :D Where's that pic from his XC thread...

Well . . . yeah, but the loan is in my name :burnout:

The is250 has alot of refinements that I like, such as not having to use a key in the doors or ignition as long as you have the fob in your pocket, but it was also slower (had one for 1.5 weeks while the 300 was getting an input bearing in the trans - BTW, the is300 uses a very similar 2wd version of the trans in my 4runner :D)

Crinale
04-24-2009, 06:06 PM
i wanted to buy an is300 before, but couldnt find one in my price range... so i got my subaru... now iv got the runner ^_^

YotaFun
04-24-2009, 08:42 PM
I would like to see the IS C in an F package and then maybe I would be tempted to buy it, i mean I see the F badging on the site for it, but will it really be as good as the IS F?

As for the RX, never liked them, still don't like them, I would get a RAV4 sport first...

Also while poking around the Lexus site, the LS-A would be a nice car to come out to compete with such vehicles as the Aston Martin DB7 Vantage and equivalents to it.
Granted I know that is not the direction the economy is going, and Lexus shouldn't be looking to hard into it, it still would be a nice option.

2ndGen
04-24-2009, 09:50 PM
http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-08/12-01-08page-Top-Gear-season-12-episode-5-BMW-M3-4-door-Lexus-ISF.htm

just fast forward the vid to 2:20

corax
04-24-2009, 10:33 PM
As for the RX, never liked them, still don't like them, I would get a RAV4 sport first...

slightly off topic, but a friend I have at Toyota recently told me the the Highlander Hybrid is quite capable of lighting all 4 tires up if you can put it in "service" mode . . .

DHC6twinotter
04-25-2009, 03:13 AM
My brother has a black on black special edition IS300 with a 5spd, darker tail lights, spoiler, and the anthracite factory rims (I guess that's what they are--they are the factory 5 spoke, but with a darker finish). It was a super nice nice car.

I also really like the new IS. If I were to buy a new car, I would get either an IS250 with the 6spd, or BMW 335 with the 6spd. I've never been a fan of the RX.

neliconcept
04-25-2009, 01:14 PM
my moms RX350 is pretty damn fast, i bet it would beat a stock supercharged 3.4.

ive driven all of the IS models, the IS350 is plenty of power for anyone, the ISF is in a whole new league and i think its a tiny bit faster then the m3 on launch, but the m3 will cake it in the higher range.

that ISC is butt ugly and the new rx450h front bumper looks disgusting.

i just got back from taking the aston martin dbs back to the dealership, had it for friday and saturday, i know the GM of ferrari of atlanta and had it on sale on location type deal

CJM
04-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I want an IS300, i dont care if its been wrecked so long as the frame is good and its only cosmetic-people dump cars for cheap cause of this. Then its time to throw in an IS430 motor and a 6 speed getrag :) Then and only then do you have a cool car. Anyone seen the old rides where Rod Millen and co made one, it basically was for all intents and purposes what the IS250/350 is powerwise.

But as much as I like toyota, i could just buy a very decent 69 camaro/FB/GTO or chevelle/nova and drop in a worked 350 block and have the balls to the walls power. MPG, thats a moot point when you have so much power you can SHRED tires at will in ALL gears. mmm 2 speed powerglide trans would do well too, but a turbo 400 would be better.

DHC6twinotter
04-26-2009, 03:00 AM
I want an IS300, i dont care if its been wrecked so long as the frame is good and its only cosmetic-people dump cars for cheap cause of this. Then its time to throw in an IS430 motor and a 6 speed getrag :) Then and only then do you have a cool car. Anyone seen the old rides where Rod Millen and co made one, it basically was for all intents and purposes what the IS250/350 is powerwise.

Yeah! That IS430 was sweet! There is a guy on Lextreme that has put the 4.3 into a IS300 sportcross as well. Very cool swap. And now that a 5.2L stroker kit is in the works, an IS520 would be crazy. :thumbup:

corax
04-26-2009, 05:58 AM
But as much as I like toyota, i could just buy a very decent 69 camaro/FB/GTO or chevelle/nova and drop in a worked 350 block and have the balls to the walls power. MPG, thats a moot point when you have so much power you can SHRED tires at will in ALL gears. mmm 2 speed powerglide trans would do well too, but a turbo 400 would be better.

That camaro/FB/GTO/chevelle/nova might be faster in a straight line but you couldn't toss it into corners nearly as hard. If I was just looking for balls to the wall power in a straight line, then the IS wouldn't really be on my list anyway.

CJM
04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
That camaro/FB/GTO/chevelle/nova might be faster in a straight line but you couldn't toss it into corners nearly as hard. If I was just looking for balls to the wall power in a straight line, then the IS wouldn't really be on my list anyway.

Sure it can, not with a stock suspension tho.

Whitey
04-26-2009, 05:52 PM

You should just buy a minivan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAx2jtr3K8

CJM
04-26-2009, 06:17 PM
You guys have no concept of what can be done to a muscle car. Just like we can make our trucks flex more you can make those cars handle like they are on rails. Lower kit, different springs, traction bars, swaybars, etc.

They originally were horrible, but modern tech can take care of that.

neliconcept
04-26-2009, 06:23 PM
You guys have no concept of what can be done to a muscle car. Just like we can make our trucks flex more you can make those cars handle like they are on rails. Lower kit, different springs, traction bars, swaybars, etc.

its not what can be done, its how much has to be done to make it a handling car

take a euro spec bmw, mercedes and or audi, or a Jap car and do less work to make it handle better then about 80k of weight shedding and suspension work along with chassis work on a muscle car to make it handle about as good.

and lowering, springs, traction bars and swaybars aint going to do jack on a muscle car, you have to do 10x more work then that to make it handle decent

Whitey
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM

We can all conceptualize what can be done to any vehicle when you throw enough $$ at it. A Camaro was nearly 4000lbs stock. That's gonna flex some sidewalls.

DHC6twinotter
04-26-2009, 06:52 PM
Well if I was going to buy a car purely for handling, I would buy and modify a '93-'95 MR2 Turbo.

There was a guy up in VA that had a modified Ford Ranger out on an autocross track. I was pretty impressed with how well he did, but it still didn't do anywhere near as well as the Subarus or MR2s out there.

YotaFun
04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
You all got it wrong
You need to get this Volvo.
This run was actually done about an hour away from my house and the car is located 2 hours from me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBu6STlhh8Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CI1PzhJ2fY

neliconcept
04-27-2009, 04:59 AM
Well if I was going to buy a car purely for handling, I would buy and modify a '93-'95 MR2 Turbo.

There was a guy up in VA that had a modified Ford Ranger out on an autocross track. I was pretty impressed with how well he did, but it still didn't do anywhere near as well as the Subarus or MR2s out there.

eh id go with a miata to be honest if it was for handling. but an MR2 is up there

We can all conceptualize what can be done to any vehicle when you throw enough $$ at it. A Camaro was nearly 4000lbs stock. That's gonna flex some sidewalls.

and thats a camaro, the bigger muscle cars, like the charger, challenger and the chevelle were like 4200 i think. thats more then a stock 4runner by nearly 300 pounds

Crinale
04-27-2009, 12:18 PM
just buy a mkV supra turbo and be done with it :-P... build/tune it to 800rwhp, and you will smoke the muscle in a straight line, and kill the euros in the corners ;)

Crinale
04-27-2009, 12:19 PM

You should just buy a minivan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nAx2jtr3K8

that video is hilarious... :-P

Whitey
04-27-2009, 06:07 PM
just buy a mkV supra turbo and be done with it :-P... build/tune it to 800rwhp, and you will smoke the muscle in a straight line, and kill the euros in the corners ;)

MKIV, not 5...I believe you meant to say.

neliconcept
04-27-2009, 07:15 PM

not so fast my friend, with that much power, you have massive understeer around the corners, would need to tune it down a bit.

even if you brake, you have to be seriously smooth with the throttle in order to not let it go into the ditch

Crinale
04-27-2009, 11:38 PM

you would be correct, i missed the 'i' when i typed it :-P ...

@neliconcept: if you set it up correctly you wont have much understeer or oversteer... its all in the sway bar and coilover setup...

neliconcept
04-28-2009, 06:09 AM

you would be correct, i missed the 'i' when i typed it :-P ...

@neliconcept: if you set it up correctly you wont have much understeer or oversteer... its all in the sway bar and coilover setup...

dont forget tires

more about the driver though with that much power

CJM
04-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Ok can I ask you all something? Have any of you actually built up a muscle car before or a fast import in the 400+ HP range?

I built a 69 camaro in HS with a friend, we bought the car as a rolling shell for a grand. It was a former drag car so bodywise it was ok but had not drivetrain. He put in a LS1 and supercharged it. Then we went to work on the handling by lowering, huge anti swaybars, special leaf packs, traction bars-whole 9 yards. Cost him about 8k in the end. The car, handles easily like its on rails despite being heavy as hell.

So dont tell me that just cause a car weighs 4000lbs that it wont handle. The MK IV supra weighs an astonishingly 3500lbs,the R34 skyline is about the same too, surprising isnt it.

neliconcept
04-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Ok can I ask you all something? Have any of you actually built up a muscle car before or a fast import in the 400+ HP range?

I built a 69 camaro in HS with a friend, we bought the car as a rolling shell for a grand. It was a former drag car so bodywise it was ok but had not drivetrain. He put in a LS1 and supercharged it. Then we went to work on the handling by lowering, huge anti swaybars, special leaf packs, traction bars-whole 9 yards. Cost him about 8k in the end. The car, handles easily like its on rails despite being heavy as hell.

So dont tell me that just cause a car weighs 4000lbs that it wont handle. The MK IV supra weighs an astonishingly 3500lbs,the R34 skyline is about the same too, surprising isnt it.

what is the power to weight ratio of that camaro? shell? yeah thats called weight shaving, thats why it handled better. but i still bet if you found an import of the same weight, lenght and power it would handle better

why? suspension geometry and design. tires do a massive influence on handling too.

i havent built cars, but i have driven my fair share of cars, from ferraris to pieces of shizzle from the junk yard, and i have had cars up to speeds of 180 or so on the track, mainly the mclaren f1

but out of the box an import car will be a better handler then a muscle car, design suggests that more then anything, weight may have an issue

and the supra weighed 3280 for non turbo and 3450 for turbo, thats still 600 pounds less then the average muscle car, even 200 pounds can save a car in handling

r34 is about 3590 if i recall

again, suspension geometry is going to own any old muscle car

new muscle? well thats a different story.

wow we have gone so off topic its not funny

id like to see lexus incorporate a coupe hardtop but a little bit different design and throw in the ISF engine, probably would be at least a second faster then the sedan

DHC6twinotter
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
id like to see lexus incorporate a coupe hardtop but a little bit different design and throw in the ISF engine, probably would be at least a second faster then the sedan

X2!

YotaFun
04-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love hard top convertibles.
But wouldn't that make it heavier then it is now?

And I too would love to see the ISF engine in it, though I think it might be available if you get the IS-C with the F package, I didn't really read into the details on Lexus's website, but I do know besides looks it gets a different suspension set up.

I personally like the design as is, but I guess thats me.
From the car show floor it looked pretty damn good, maybe redesign the tail just a little.

Whitey
04-28-2009, 01:29 PM

I built a 69 camaro in HS with a friend, we bought the car as a rolling shell for a grand. It was a former drag car

So it was gutted? I've owned 2 Z32 300zx's, one of which was a stage 3 twin turbo with the HICAS system, so I've owned fast (heavy)imports that also handled well, to say the least.

Whitey
04-28-2009, 01:30 PM
FWIW, lexus already has a hardtop coupe. Do they still manufacture those things?

CJM
04-28-2009, 03:09 PM
So it was gutted? I've owned 2 Z32 300zx's, one of which was a stage 3 twin turbo with the HICAS system, so I've owned fast (heavy)imports that also handled well, to say the least.

Partially. It still had the front seats but no rears, we put on real windows and windshield as well as the various missing bits. It didnt have a roll cage either. It was someone who was looking to make it a drag car but lost the funds.All they did was remove the back seating and the various chrome stuffs.

But yea out of the box of course an import or any modern car will handle better. They are overall better designed and are way more modern than leaf sprung rear wheel drive cars. Power to weight ratio is always better if you use more modern components. A cast iron 350 block vs an all aluminum block is a big weight savings as well as the sheet metal they use today is SUPER thin vs the old stuff.

Still I like the old muscle cars, Im a chevy man but the AMC's are also sweet and I wouldnt pass up some MOPAR. Sadly the mustang just doesnt catch my fancy at all.

Seanz0rz
04-28-2009, 03:14 PM
FWIW, lexus already has a hardtop coupe. Do they still manufacture those things?

unfortunately yes they do, although this IS is the nail in the sc430's coffin. finally that ugly car gets to die.

that is to say if you were talking about the sc with its folding metal roof. otherwise, lexus has always had a 2door IS havent they?

DHC6twinotter
04-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Still I like the old muscle cars, Im a chevy man but the AMC's are also sweet and I wouldnt pass up some MOPAR. Sadly the mustang just doesnt catch my fancy at all.

I agree. With the exception of the early '30s Fords, the '67 Mustang Fastback, and the '65 Lincoln Contintal, there isn't a whole lot of Fords I like. I'd take a Mopar or Chevy over most Fords.

that is to say if you were talking about the sc with its folding metal roof. otherwise, lexus has always had a 2door IS havent they?

INHO, The SC430 was one of the ugliest cars Toyota has ever produced. Toyota did build the 2 door SC300/400 from '91 to 2000. They were nice cars, and had a fair amount in common with the Supra. The new IS C is the first 2 door IS, but I really wish they would make a 2 door hardtop.

CJM
04-28-2009, 04:54 PM
unfortunately yes they do, although this IS is the nail in the sc430's coffin. finally that ugly car gets to die.

Good god the SC430 is one fugly ass car. It just doesnt look right at all imho. Kinda like a miata and a g35 ugly bastard child.

YotaFun
04-28-2009, 05:24 PM
I think of the SC as a Miata and bug cross.
thank god the IS convertible is coming out,
and i am with dan, it would be nice to see it in a 2 door hard top to compete with such things as the 3 series coupe or if in an F package, the M3 coupe

neliconcept
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
im not talking about a hardtop convert, more so a coupe coupe, not the fat ass design this ISC has, but a bit more refined and will weigh a tiny bit less then the ISC would,

Seanz0rz
05-16-2009, 08:37 AM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/05/15/lexus-is-c-gets-the-f-sport-treatment/

YotaFun
05-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Well look there a hard top IS-C
Though to me, it is a bit fugly....

neliconcept
05-16-2009, 12:36 PM
its now a lexus solara, and with a major fat ass problem

god seriously lexus designers

YotaFun
05-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Thats right, the solora is a hard top now isn't it?
I liked the look of the soft top better, but thats just me.
I hate the huge ass even if it has the F package, I think I will stick to an IS-F untill lexus can get is head out of its rear and look to design somehting worth carring the name Lexus...

Whitey
05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
I must have low standards, because it looks good to me.
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd246/jrwhite13/096_is_c_f-sport.jpg
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd246/jrwhite13/098_is_c_f-sport_lead.jpg

DHC6twinotter
05-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I don't think it looks too bad either. :D

The 4 door IS has a big butt too, so I don't think this looks much different.

YotaFun
05-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Whats geting me is the view from the front left,
the line just doesn't look to flow nicly to me.
Like that rear little window really just shouldn't be there...

I don't know I guess thats me.
cause from the direct side view it looks alright but from that fropnt left angle, not so much...

Whitey
05-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Almost every convertible out there has that rear little window.

YotaFun
05-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Almost every convertible out there has that rear little window.

Ture, it just seems out of place to me...

Crinale
05-17-2009, 12:24 AM
Thats right, the solora is a hard top now isn't it?
I liked the look of the soft top better, but thats just me.
I hate the huge ass even if it has the F package, I think I will stick to an IS-F untill lexus can get is head out of its rear and look to design somehting worth carring the name Lexus...

i would love an is-f if they would just put a normal freaking 6 speed manual in it, instead of the 8speed autotragic...