PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Plan for My Summer Expedition!

Seanz0rz
04-27-2009, 01:03 PM
so here is the checklist ive put together for my coming expedition. i am bringing 2 others besides myself.

any suggestions to add to this list?

Good Times
04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
for the lazies like me that don't like to download files....

Camping:
€ Stove
€ Lantern
€ Folding Stove Stand
€ Lantern Stand
€ Coleman Fuel
€ Fuel filter/funnel
€ First Aid Kit
€ Big Rope
€ Small Rope
€ Para Cord
€ Bucket w/ lid
€ Wet Wipes
€ Shower Wipes
€ Bug Spray
€ Trash Bags
€ Water Filter
€ Water
€ Ice Chest
€ Blanket for Ice Chest
€ Sleeping Bags
€ Air Mattress
€ Pump
€ Roll Mattress
€ Tarps
€ Silverware
€ Pots and Pans
€ Paper Plates
€ Paper Towels
€ Bath Towels

Recovery Gear:
€ Big Strap
€ Small Strap
€ High Lift Jack
€ Shackles
€ Come-along

Vehicle:
€ Brake Fluid (small container)
€ ATF (2 quarts)
€ Oil (5w-30) (2 quarts)
€ Coolant (1 gallon)
€ Extra Belts
€ 5 gallon gas cans
€ Gas filler nozzle
€ Funnel (long, blue)
€ Collection of Common bolts/washers/nuts
€ Collection of Electrical
€ Inverter

Tools:
€ 1/4” drive sockets
€ 3/8” drive sockets
€ 1/2” drive sockets
€ Combo Wrenches
€ Ratcheting Wrenches
€ Breaker Bar with Pipe
€ Crow bar
€ Compressor
€ Air Gauge
€ Hammer
€ Vice Grips
€ Channel Locks
€ Bottle Jack
€ Shovel
€ Axe
€ Pick Axe
€ Shop Rags (10)
€ Terry Rags (5)

Navigation:
€ Compass
€ Paper Maps
€ Computer with Charger
€ GPS Receiver
€ Cell phone chargers

I'll review the doc later after dinner and give my 2 cents then :drink:

Good Times
04-27-2009, 06:43 PM
ok a quick peek....

knives
guns
ammo
extra batteries
oil spill clean up kit
lots of trash bags

to name a few...

4x4mike
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Looks good although I think you're going to be loaded down with 3 people and all that gear not to mention clothes and personal items. I would slim it down and cut some weight. I'd leave things like the 1/4" drive items at home as stuff that small can be fixed with a leatherman. I'd also leave the pick axe at home, it's more likely to become a projectile in a crash or while wheeling than used for it's intended use. As for a shovel I carry one of these (http://www.bestglide.com/gerber_folding_spade.html)in the back at all times. I've sharpened one of the edges to a knife edge for swinging cutting action fun. Are you guys sleeping under the tarps? No tents? I'd pack a closed foam pad or self inflating pad instead of the big heavy leaky air mattresses if it were me.

Seanz0rz
04-27-2009, 07:06 PM
air mattresses are for the parents, at over 50 they like the added support

tent has been added to the list now, one of those obvious things i just left off.
adjustable wrenches added
shovel changed to folding shovel

removed:
pick
1/4 inch drive tools

most personal items, light weight stuff, etc will go on the rack in one of those fancy missile cases i picked up from lance.

weapons and ammo are my dad's decision.

ill go in a couple of weeks and see how well this stuff actually fits in the 4runner.

Whitey
04-27-2009, 08:12 PM
How long/ where are you going? Do you really need all that rope?
I'd also get rid of the lantern and just bring some matches and a maglight.

DHC6twinotter
04-27-2009, 08:18 PM
TP would be important, or is that what the wet wipes, shower wipes, paper plates, paper towels, and paper maps are used for?

Seanz0rz
04-27-2009, 08:26 PM
wet wipes. nothing like having itchy butt when your camping!!! wet wipes usually are the same as baby wipes, but in a flushable variety (so they actually decompose). the shower wipes are made by Wet-Ones, and are designed for camping. its as close to as a shower as you can get with out getting wet. they are antibacterial and super strong. http://www.wetones.com/wo_outdoors.asp

trip looks to be about 9 days, no base camp, just make camp where we can along the way.

yeah so many times ive wondered if i needed the rope or not. last time i didnt bring it, and i REALLY needed it. its great for throwing over a tree limb to hang your ice chest so the critters dont get it.

4x4mike
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
I'd keep the lantern but I would keep some things in mind. For one, fuel. I have several different stoves and lanterns. Some run on LPG, some on white gas and some on isobutane. If it were me packing for this trip I would go isobutane. What are you going to be cooking? Full on meals? You can do a lot with isobutane, it's small and there are many different stoves and lanterns that run on it. Lugging around liquid fuel requires extra care, smell and larger containers. Maybe you don't need the lantern. Maybe you can use an LED flashlight lantern that will fill a couple of voids and be useful after the trip. I've got enough LEDs on my 4runner and enough headlamps to do a trip like yours without a lantern.

Guns are fun but sometimes a hassel to travel with. If you think the boogie man is going to come out and get you he won't. If he does and you shoot him you better make damn sure it's the right thing to do. Just expect some paperwork and possible day in front of a judge.

Baby wipes are good but if you've got a water source near by you might want to look into a solar shower.

As for rope I'd just keep your straps you have now and then by a couple 50 foot and 100 foot packages of 550 cord. Better yet look on line for a 500 foot spool. The stuff is super strong and useful for anything and everything, plus it's tacticool.

Interested in a bright flashlight. I'm looking to sell my Borealis 1050 Maglight (cadillac) for about half of what I bought it for. blackbearflashlights.com

4x4mike
04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
air mattresses are for the parents, at over 50 they like the added support

tent has been added to the list now, one of those obvious things i just left off.
adjustable wrenches added
shovel changed to folding shovel

removed:
pick
1/4 inch drive tools

most personal items, light weight stuff, etc will go on the rack in one of those fancy missile cases i picked up from lance.

weapons and ammo are my dad's decision.

ill go in a couple of weeks and see how well this stuff actually fits in the 4runner.

Another thing about the tools. I carry a full set of metric open end wrenches as well as sockets and ONE 10" adjustable wrench. I figure I can cover all the bases with it. Along with my other tools and leatherman I've got a lot. I'd check to make sure you don't need more than one adjustable wrench, more than one of each screwdriver, or any other multiples. I used to have a cross bed tool box loaded with about 200 pounds of "stuff". I think that maybe 3 pounds of that stuff actually came in handy. Walk around and crawl under you 4runner. Only take the size sockets and wrenches that you have nuts and bolts for. While you're at it take a small inventory and use the list to buy a few extras of nuts and bolts. I have a small soft side tool bag in my 4runner all the time and it's got everything down to nuts and bolts to small springs but it's not too big or heavy. I think the only thing I add to it when I go on a trip is a 30mm socket. I think weight use you can cut your list in half. Make sure you have some of that super bondo electrical tape, some duct tape and maybe a package of JB weld along with 6 feet or so of bailing wire and assorted zip ties.

Seanz0rz
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
ive packed all those tools before, they fit into 1 ammo can and 1 truck box (the flat boxes meant to sit behind the seat) my 35 mm socket never leaves my truck. never know when youll have to pull a cv shaft. i think i will pare everything down to the sizes that exist on the truck (i dont think ive ever used a 15mm on anything!) i know so far the most used are 10, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, 24, and 27. i dont think ive come across anything smaller than 10. ill also need to bring the ones that fit the standard size hardware that is on my skidplate.

my parents (mostly my dad) is pretty old school and will want the gas lantern. i only use coleman fuel because i can also use gasoline in them if i absolutely had to. cant do that with propane. carrying the extra gallon of fuel is not a problem. cooking will be meal-ish, and we have a 2 burner stove. i know i can get by with a headlight and cooking on the intake, but my parents want to be a little more comfortable on the trail. just a concession i have to make to have a good family vacation this summer. if it was up to my dad we would be taking his super duty with a camper or full on travel trailer, i like sleeping in the truck however.

i want to pack light, but i dont want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere eastern oregon, wishing i had this or that. ill try and trim it down as much as possible, but i dont want to travel that far offroad in the wilderness

neliconcept
04-28-2009, 06:12 AM
camera?

where are you going? if you are going somewhere where dunes are possible, sand rails wouldnt be a bad idea

Crinale
04-28-2009, 09:04 PM
i believe most of his off roading will be on rockier, mountain areas.. since hes going from socal up to washington, with most of oregon done off road. although i dont know if he has anything planned for dunes while down here.

Seanz0rz
04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
there are some dunes in oregon, not sure if im crossing them or not. ill just have to drop the pressure down to 12psi, and go easy.

4x4mike
04-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Tire repair kit and a table. Maybe a flare or 2 as well. You never know when one will come in handy. I never drive anywhere without my Sven saw either.
http://www.svensaw.com/

Seanz0rz
04-28-2009, 09:39 PM
oh i always carry flares. so useful in all kinds of situations. others added to the list.

hey, does anyone know if they sell emergency smoke canisters in california? im talking that nasty orange stuff used by the military to signal a LZ to helicopters. thats some awesome stuff to have if youre stranded and someones looking for you.

4x4mike
04-29-2009, 07:49 AM
I'm not sure about CA sellers. You could check out the Equipped to Survive forums or Red Flare. From what I've read LZ's are pretty complicated. From what I have read the pilots have predetermined LZ's and won't land just anywhere. For the most part if you're lost or injured and you are not near or in a LZ they will send people to you and have them move you to where they can land. There are many examples of this in stories regarding the Rubicon. I always thought that if I needed someone to find me I'd light a big 'ol fire. Take your spare off the vehicle put it in a flat open space, douse with gas and light.

If you really wanted some pocket flares or smoke signals make buddy buddy with a service man. Growing up I had a neighbor that was a marine and he would give us all kinds of stuff to play with. Forth of July was the best. He had small, like film canister sized, smoke thingys as well as the pencil flares.

slosurfer
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
TP would be important, or is that what the wet wipes, shower wipes, paper plates, paper towels, and paper maps are used for?

:lol: DAn, this was my exact thought! I thought I was going to be all clever and write something very similar and then I scrolled down and saw you beat me to it. :laugh:

Sean, I'll look at the list a little deeper later and post again. :)

corax
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Rescue Tape (http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CKKWzcW8l5oCFQNaFQodQ3Rp-g) or similar self fusing silicon tape. You can get a less expensive version at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96807) or Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100206050&N=10000003+90068)

• Is Self-Fusing (no adhesive to loosen with heat)
• 700 PSI Tensile Strength
• Insulates 8,000 Volts per layer
• Withstands 500° F Degrees of heat (260° C)
• Remains flexible to -85° F (-60° C)

4x4mike
04-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Rescue Tape (http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CKKWzcW8l5oCFQNaFQodQ3Rp-g) or similar self fusing silicon tape. You can get a less expensive version at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96807) or Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100206050&N=10000003+90068)

• Is Self-Fusing (no adhesive to loosen with heat)
• 700 PSI Tensile Strength
• Insulates 8,000 Volts per layer
• Withstands 500° F Degrees of heat (260° C)
• Remains flexible to -85° F (-60° C)

That's the stuff I was thinking about. When I become a super hero my suit will be made of it. I like it's characteristics.

Seanz0rz
04-30-2009, 06:41 PM
should i carry two spares? one is a full size, other is my factory spare. im thinking for the distance traveled, i want 2. but the factory spare weighs quite a bit, and it would be nice to shed that weight.

heres the current list:
Camping:
 Stove
 Lantern
 Folding Stove Stand
 Lantern Stand
 Coleman Fuel
 Fuel filter/funnel
 First Aid Kit
 Big Rope
 Small Rope
 Para Cord
 Folding Table
 Bucket w/ lid
 Wet Wipes
 Toilet Paper
 Shower Wipes
 Bug Spray
 Trash Bags
 Water Filter
 Water
 Ice Chest
 Blanket for Ice Chest
 Sleeping Bags
 Air Mattress
 Pump
 Roll Mattress
 Tarps
 Silverware
 Pots and Pans
 Paper Plates
 Paper Towels
 Bath Towels

Recovery Gear:
 Big Strap
 Small Strap
 High Lift Jack
 Shackles
 Come-along

Vehicle:
 Brake Fluid (small container)
 ATF (2 quarts)
 Oil (5w-30) (2 quarts)
 Coolant (1 gallon)
 Fix-a-Flat
 Extra Belts
 5 gallon gas cans
 Gas filler nozzle
 Funnel (long, blue)
 Flares
 Collection of Common bolts/washers/nuts
 Collection of Electrical
 Inverter

Tools:
 1/4” drive sockets
 3/8” drive sockets
 1/2” drive sockets
 Combo Wrenches
 Ratcheting Wrenches
 Breaker Bar with Pipe
 Crow bar
 Compressor
 Air Gauge
 Tire Repair Kit
 Hammer
 Vice Grips
 Channel Locks
 Bottle Jack
 Folding Shovel
 Axe
 Shop Rags (10)
 Terry Rags (5)
 Rescue Tape

Navigation:
 Compass
 Paper Maps
 Computer with Charger
 GPS Receiver
 Cell phone chargers

Whitey
05-02-2009, 05:51 AM
How far are you going?

slosurfer
05-02-2009, 08:14 AM
Sean, don't worry about two spares. Make sure you have a good tire repair kit (which you already have listed). You aren't traveling down in Baja, so in the odd case you do get two flats, more than likely one will be able to be repaired with your kit. Or at least to make it a slow leak and then you can limp it to civilazation, since you have some type of onboard air. With the type of trip and terrain you are doing, it is highly unlikely that you are going to encounter two badly torn sidewalls that are unrepairable.

slosurfer
05-02-2009, 08:18 AM
One more quick thing, I'd ditch the gallon of coolant. If for some reason, you spring a leak or something, just use water. Reason being that, if something does happen like that, you are going to be limping it to civilazation to get fixed anyways. Once there and it is fixed, you can buy coolant. No use adding more coolant to a leaking system.

What are the difference between wetwipes and shower wipes? I'd just go with baby wipes. Get a box at costco, they're unscented and the box has a bunch of packages. The packages are great for stashing all around the vehicle so that you're always close to some. I keep one in the back and one stashed under a front seat or in the seat pocket. The others can be stashed in your gear.

Seanz0rz
05-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Offroad: 700+ miles. Total distance traveled for whole trip will be ~ 3000

Thanks for the tire info. I'll go pick up a kit. Recommendations?

Shower wipes are irreplaceable. I've tried baby wipes, didn't like it.

Picked up the HF awesome tape.

I'm having doubts about fitting everything (shaving 1 or 2 small things won't matter) so I'm going to load up the truck next weekend and see if I can fit it all or if I need to bribe a trailer from someone coughLancecough

4x4mike
05-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I was thinking about your trip today on my bike ride. 3 people and enough stuff to make that trip will be cramped. Will the trails you're going to be on be doable with a trailer? I think that would make a world of difference. Now you have room for a keg. You know, so you have more room in the ice chest for steak.

slosurfer
05-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Sean, I hadn't heard of shower wipes before, are they bigger then baby wipes? :thumbup:

This is the tire repair kit I have:
ARB Tire Kit (http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=379) Nice kit and small hard case, luckily haven't had to use it yet. (knocks on wood) :)

Definately ditch the gallon of coolant and just carry an extra gallon of drinking water. Reason being, it will have dual uses in an emergency situation. Can be used in the radiator or as extra drinking water if you are stranded for multiple days.

To be comfy, like Mike said, you will need either a trailer or at least some type of roof cargo system. Either a cargo rack or hard case to put all the lightweight bulky stuff up top. I know everyone talks about raised COG and aerodynamics, but it really won't matter for the type of wheeling and travel you plan on doing. I've done the three people and gear with no trailer for the mojave road when we went with you. Granted one was a kid but a kid in a car seat takes up just as much room as an adult and we were comfortable and could have done a longer trip if need be. I also had room for more gear as the back was only filled up to the bottom of the windows. The front passenger and rear passenger will probably want to trade back and forth from time to time. :)

I suggest putting the cooler in the middle seat behind the driver with the backseat passenger on the passenger side. A couple reasons for this. The cooler with ice is usually heavish so it moves some of the weight to the center of the vehicle, it also will get much less direct sunlight while traveling so the ice stays longer, and three, you don't have to worry about stacking stuff on top of it in the back and then digging through it just to make lunch. Also the rear passenger has access to it while on the road and can pass up items to the front seat, or if you have monkey arms like me, you can reach behind you and grab an ice cold Diet Dr. Pepper while on the move. Also, it is easy to strap the ice chest down in this position using ratchet straps, bungees, etc...

Since you are taking a hi lift jack, you can probably ditch the pipe that you have listed with your breaker bar as the hi lift handle should work well for that. :thumbup:

Seanz0rz
05-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks so mug for your post chris! I'm on my iPhone for the weekend, so looking and posting are a bit challenging.

I think I posted a link in this thread to the wet ones outdoor wipes they are super strong. With the addition of a little warm water, 2 are enough to wash up very well!!!

I have that missile case identical to yours. Looking to put all the light weight stuff (clothes, sleeping bags, mattresses, some food items, etc. ) in addition to camp chairs and gasoline on the roof rack. I'm thinking I'll limit myself to 10 extra gallons, esp with gas fairly common along the trail (100 miles or so). I like the idea of putting the ice chest on the rear seat. I'll have to see if mine fits.

I'm going to explore the option of putting my water where my spare went. That would at least lower the cg. The air bags for the rear axle should be here next week

I'll go change the title of this thread since it's far beyond just my checklist.

Now, someone school me on trailers! Any one rent them in socal? Adventuretrailers doesn't rent anymore. Google has left me unsatasfied.

Whitey
05-02-2009, 07:32 PM
What kind of off-road fuel economy do you anticipate with all this extra weight?

Seanz0rz
05-02-2009, 08:22 PM
10 mpg worse case senario.

troyboy162
05-03-2009, 04:08 AM
looks like a very good list. only thing i saw that might help a bit is to use your compressor in place of your air mattress pump. i used mine when our (perfectly fine)pump refused to run on my (perfectly fine)inverter. this would save you a small bit of space. look for an adapter though so you dont have to hold it tight by hand.

also i dont know if you have seen it but some people are running cheap, flat, boat gas tanks up on there roof baskets with siphon hose to transfer them. super high center of gravity but provides a place for gas without expensive exterior can mounts or fumes inside the runner.

slosurfer
05-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Sean have you test fit the missile case up there yet? I'd be interesting in seeing what that looks like. I bet it has a high profile. You should build a nose cone or something for it. :laugh:

How do you plan on mounting it?

Seanz0rz
05-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Missile case fits perfectly up there! How do you think I got them home! It will be strapped down by two ratcheting straps. Surprisingly, you don't even realize it's up there as far as wind resistance and noise is concerned. I will look at building some kind of deflector

Thanks mike! The beds have a weird size inlet for the pump. I'll have to see if I can make one from some parts at HD.

slosurfer
05-03-2009, 10:52 AM
:laugh: Yeah, they are a great! I'll throw one on top of my 4runner to see what it looks like. :D

Seanz0rz
05-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Next weekend dad and I are going to dry load the vehicle to see what fits. I can put both water tanks where the spare went, just gotta build a caddy for it.

Seanz0rz
05-03-2009, 10:04 PM
topic has been updated.

finally back on a real computer.

slosurfer
05-07-2009, 07:19 AM
This might be useful on the trip:
Feminal (http://www.comforthouse.com/porjoh.html) :laugh:

Seanz0rz
05-10-2009, 10:53 PM
here is the missile case up on the surco. i forgot how tall it was!:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/IMG_0865.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/IMG_0866.jpg

still affords me over half of the rack for stuff like the tent, camp chairs, etc, plus 3-4 5 gallon gas cans(which im thinking ill put forward on the rack to help with weight balance):
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/IMG_0868.jpg

here is a mockup of the rear cargo area. i might move at least one of the water containers to the left rear footwell to lower cg and pull some more of the weight forward.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/IMG_0869.jpg

all the camping gear and whatnot will go into these heavy duty bins i found at lowes. come with a yellow top and will double as a table while camping:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/IMG_0870.jpg

Good Times
05-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Sean, that missile case looks "RETARDED!" Are you sure you want to go ahead with that setup? I can imagine your mpg will be down to single digits.

slosurfer
05-11-2009, 04:49 PM
here is the missile case up on the surco. i forgot how tall it was!:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/IMG_0865.jpg

:laugh: I had a feeling it was going to look like that! Those beatches are big. :hillbill: Honestly though, if you aren't doing too much highway miles, mpg isn't going to be that big a deal anyways. Your aerodynamics don't really come into play till you are at a certain speed. Just watch for low branches. :thumbup:

Seanz0rz
05-11-2009, 05:12 PM
actually i hauled it home like that from pomona, and didnt see any noticiable hit on the fuel economy.

also stacked on the roof will be fuel cans and a bunch of other crap, so im not to worried about how it looks.

i do have a question. for those of you with a roof top box of any kind, how do you keep the humidity down inside? mine seems to be very moist.

slosurfer
05-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Don't put wet sleeping bags in there. :laugh: Should help cut down on the humidity. :laugh:

Edit: Just noticed that you plan on putting the tent next to the case. Shouldn't the tent go IN the case, if there's any chance of rain, like in Oregon or something? Putting up a wet tent is NOT fun. :)

Seanz0rz
05-11-2009, 05:23 PM
yeah tent might go inside. for sure the folding camp chairs will go on the side, not sure what else yet. dad is still not convinced we can get everything in, so im going to have to dry pack AGAIN and show him (he didnt feel like coming out side on saturday when i was doing it)

i think i am litterally going to pack everything, and then just move it into the spare room in the house and keep it there until late june.

Crinale
05-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Just watch for low branches. :thumbup:

just mount a plate of some kind to the front rail of the basket that will lean back on the missile box (bungee it to the back of the basket), that way it will deflect any low branches up over the box... JM2C