PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone Solder ?

Scuba
05-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Well my Headunit AUX port has taken a poop, I took the face plate apart and it appears one of the wires has somehow come loose from the solder on it..

Can Anyone here solder?
(Seansorz?)

Id be willing to ship it to you and pay you for your time.
If your local then I can pay you for your time..

Seanz0rz
05-10-2009, 02:50 PM
yeah i can probably do it. got a pic? how small is the wire?

Robinhood4x4
05-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Soldering isn't that hard. Just pick up a little soldering iron from radio shack, read up a little on the internet, and have at it.

Whitey
05-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Bob's got you covered:
http://4runners.org/writeups/solder101/index.html

Seanz0rz
05-10-2009, 06:24 PM
lol i thought bob had done a writeup but i didnt see it when i glanced at his website on my iphone.

slosurfer, this should help you a bunch!!!

thanks whitey!!!

slosurfer
05-10-2009, 06:47 PM
yeah, thanks bob! :thumbup:

I also found a pretty cool google vid on soldering bullet connectors. I can't wait to mess with it. Looks fun and very similar to what I do a lot in my dad's shop when soldering flat brass or bronze to a bronze or brass roll

Scuba
05-10-2009, 11:32 PM
See thats the thing..I have soldered before, I know how to and have the stuff, The wire is way tooo tiny for me to trust myself to solder it back.
I cant get a pic because my camera is a POS and doesnt like closeups on small things..
Thats why I was hoping someone with a bit more exp. with the small stuff could help..

Although, I found a spare HU that I thought I lost..So if I dont like this new one the old ones gonna be fixed somehow..

Buuuttt, For now the stupid airbag light has come on, so back to the repair shop she goes.
FML

Crinale
05-10-2009, 11:42 PM
definitely got to get that code read for the srs... remember that its not read by the obd port, but by a seperate srs port somewhere (dont know where it is in yotas...)

Scuba
05-11-2009, 12:17 AM
Yeah well, It was involved in a crash a couple months back, tonight going down the freeway I hit a pothole and that crap started blinking..
POS

slosurfer
05-11-2009, 04:50 PM
At least the airbag didn't go off when you hit that pothole. That would have been a sucky surprise going down the freeway and having your bag go off. :laugh:

Scuba
05-11-2009, 11:50 PM
Yeah then Id be 20gs richer after I sue the hell outta that shop, minus the 2k for the lawyer, so 18g's.
Can anyone say SASed taco?