PDA

View Full Version : DUSY ERSHIM TRAIL

wifesaysimadumbass
05-12-2009, 08:28 PM
alright guys gonna try to get this trip off the ground. looking to do this trail with a small group either the end of july or early august. this trail has a nasty reputation anyone attending should have two lockers and at least 33's and a reliable rig... no one wants to get stuck with a sick rig on the trail. i'd like to take three days at least for this run. i dont plan on being all "organized" or anything. probably the only thing that will be organized is the meet up time other than that we can go with the flow and have a fun time.. any takers?

slosurfer
05-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm supposed to run Coyote Lake Aug 14-16 but I would really like to run the DE, so I"m going to be a maybe at this point. I have my sliders on now. :D

Crinale
05-12-2009, 10:07 PM
my truck is no where near ready for that... have fun ^_^

randver
05-13-2009, 07:38 AM
i would love to go but i only have one locker and 31's. plus i might cry if i scratch my pretty 4runner.

oh ya i will be in the middle of a deployment still.

YotaGirl
05-13-2009, 09:16 AM
Put me down as a maybe. I will have to see what my rig status is by then.

I have heard that you need a winch for this trail? Any truth to that? The only people I've ever talked to that ran that trail had to winch a couple times (they were driving Jeeps; built Jeeps, but Jeeps non the less).

RobG
05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
So do you think this is smart to attempt thiswithout dual cases on a heavy gen 2 4Runner? Low gearing (and a lack of cash) is my weakness right now.

I'm a maybe, been wanting to do this for a few years now.

Is anyone bringing any kids?

slosurfer
05-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Rob, I think you're fine without duals. Are you locked front and rear? More than likely, if I go, I will have my almost 5yr old son with me. :)

I know built IFS can handle this trail, the thing that makes it so hard is that it is long and very remote as far as if you break and need parts. I do believe that there is one knarly uphill section that many end up haveing to be winched up. The toys longer wheelbase may help on this, I'm not sure. I believe it is Thompson's Hill and the rocks are loose so the lines change from vehicle to vehicle.

Tankota
05-13-2009, 04:25 PM
How far from SD is the trail?

slosurfer
05-13-2009, 04:32 PM

It's right in your back yard about 6.5 hrs away. :thumbup:

RobG
05-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Chris, yeah I'm locked front and rear when my compressor is working. Hopefully have that fixed with a backup this weekend. Probably try to pick up some Longs before the trip too otherwise I should be good with exception of a winch.

So if the dates work out I'd like to go, probably bring my 12 year old daughter.

slosurfer
05-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Here are a couple links of trip reports:

Roger Brown's from 1999:
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CA-168/Dusy-99/index.shtml

PismoJim's map and photos (hover over the map and click on the links for stories and pictures)
http://realcruiser.com/dusy04/

slosurfer
05-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Also, just an FYI, it might not even be open in July depending on the snow pack and how it has melted. Trail reaches over 10,000ft. in elevation.

Robinhood4x4
05-13-2009, 07:24 PM
I've never run it, but I hear it's like the rubicon but three days long. Rob, you should be fine.

DHC6twinotter
05-13-2009, 08:07 PM
wow...that sounds like a cool trail. :thumbup:

I really need to move out there.

wifesaysimadumbass
05-13-2009, 09:01 PM
i dont think dual cases is important but two lockers and 33's is at least a minimum i have a winch so i can help in that area. if this all pans out i will be bringing three kids 11, 7, 4 As far as the snow pack yep we could totally get screwed there but it wont stop me from trying

slosurfer
05-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I was only bringing that up because the trail might not be open in July. Not "open" as in can't make it due to snow, but not open as in, the gate to the trail is still locked. Certain trails up there are closed till the snow melts enough and I believe DE is one of them. Coyote Lake is another one.

Tankota
05-15-2009, 11:20 PM

I've got one hellava back yard!

slosurfer
05-16-2009, 05:11 AM

I've got one hellava back yard!

I know, why else would we live in CA. :D :thumbup:

Crinale
05-17-2009, 12:15 AM
maybe in a year or two... depends on how fast i can afford mods to the runner ;)

xonetruthcrewx
05-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Man, Im jealous. I tried to put something together for this trail back when I had my rig. Unfortunately there were no takers. I was bummed. Now Im even more bummed. I wish I still had my rig. I wanna do this trail so bad. Someday........

wifesaysimadumbass
05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
it kind of looking like the forest service is not going to open the trail till mid august this year... i was shooting for the end of july because my wife is due in september, i will have to play it by ear till i hear if this is gonna be the case.

slosurfer
05-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Mikey, there is always next year. :D Actually, I should be running Coyote Lake mid august and you're more than welcome to join on that one.

From what I have heard the Dusy is one that should take some planning. Mainly in knowing who is bringing what spare parts. :laugh:

RobG
05-26-2009, 09:13 AM
it kind of looking like the forest service is not going to open the trail till mid august this year... i was shooting for the end of july because my wife is due in september, i will have to play it by ear till i hear if this is gonna be the case.

By ear is good with me, as long as the Family doesn't have anything going on and I'm in town I'm in.