PDA

View Full Version : 04 SR5 coils, Stock vs. FJ vs. Tundra

2ndGen
05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
After I bought the 04, I have been tinkering with its front suspension, because it's the wife's car(for now), so I won't do anything crazy but small stuff.

After giving here the brand new set of BFG A/T tires with my 3rd gen limited wheels, the second thing I did was to swap out the stock front suspension with a pair I got from FJ Cruiser Off-road package, silver Biltein shocks. The stock ones were shot, leaning on the passenger side by almost an inch. after the swap, the front sits dead even.

Here is a picture of the OEM 4Runner and FJ side-by-side, they have the same amount of wraps, but seems the FJ coils have slightly thicker wire. FJ coils on the left.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/tonniechengca/RUNNER/IMG_0060.jpg

Next, I got a pair of complete stock front 2000 Tundra coilovers from a guy in nearby Ohio, here is a picture of the stock 4Runner and Tundra(on the left), Tundra coils have one more wrap and clearly thicker, Stock FJ rear shocks on top.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w38/tonniechengca/RUNNER/IMG_0076.jpg

Am I going somewhere with these in the future?

Good Times
05-13-2009, 04:04 PM
If you're thinkin about using the 4th gen coil+shock on your 3rd gen, it can be done but it'll be a bit too high and will give a bit of grief on your cv's. I recall a TTORA member tried this on his tacoma using the 4th gen coil+shock and was a bit too much. If you do, you'll need to retain your old top plate because the top plate on the 4th gen is different from the 3rd gen.

It is known that the fj coils are thicker than the 4runner coils (v6 only I believe). :)

Robinhood4x4
05-13-2009, 07:21 PM
The 04, right? Let us know how it goes because I'll be in the same boat sooner or later.

2ndGen
05-13-2009, 09:51 PM
i'm thinking of buying a set of Bil 5100 adjustable shocks, using the Tundra coils and spring cup(2") and the left over stock tophat. the plan is to switch to this setup when i got the ARB bumper.

the stock Tundra front coilover suspension won't work as-is because they are too short. and the shock eye is too big for the 4th gen mounting tab on the LCA. i still don't know what i'm gonna go with the rear coils.