PDA

View Full Version : Bad Rollover at High Desert Roundup

wifesaysimadumbass
05-26-2009, 09:41 PM
somebody posted a link to this on justruns everyone was ok but friggin gnarly roll
http://www.rubiconscat.com/Stoddard/HDR09/Rollmovie.html

Seanz0rz
05-26-2009, 09:54 PM
wow. thats pretty bad. glad to hear everyone is relatively ok. could have been much worse.

Good Times
05-26-2009, 11:47 PM
wow that's one ugly rollover. Ok I read the notes on the bottom but I didn't see a dog anywhere. Did you guys catch it?

Scuba
05-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Jeez.
That sucks, Glad the owner and fam is ok though..

L33T35T Tacoma
05-27-2009, 12:39 AM
wow that's one ugly rollover. Ok I read the notes on the bottom but I didn't see a dog anywhere. Did you guys catch it?

When they pull down the canvas, the dog is sitting in the cab, confused as hell

troyboy162
05-27-2009, 08:31 AM
wow it sure dosnt take much huh? the guy looked so well controlled until he rolled it backwards abrupty and that was it. glad my, much worse, noobie mistakes havnt rolled me

X-Tool Pimp
05-27-2009, 09:01 AM
glad my, much worse, noobie mistakes havnt rolled me YET

Fixed it :tongueout:

slosurfer
05-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Yep, the quick rollback combined with the gear in the carrier above his spare, lightened the frontend just enough. The sidehill and gravity took over after that. Shows how quick it can go from fun to oh crap.

Glad they are okay. It's an excellent video showing how quick it can happen and how to do a controlled recovery.

troyboy162
05-27-2009, 10:53 AM
glad my, much worse, noobie mistakes havnt rolled me YET

hahah so true!

Fixed it :tongueout:

04 Rocko Taco
05-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Tough roll. Glad everyone is okay!

CYi5
05-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Yep, the quick rollback combined with the gear in the carrier above his spare, lightened the frontend just enough.

Probably...and you know you've seen other jeeps with waaay more weight up there than that...

wifesaysimadumbass
05-28-2009, 06:30 AM
in the first part where they show him starting to roll and you see his arm out the window. Yikes i thought for sure that was gonna get a whole lot worse glad to hear they were back at camp and just sore. i think im gonna look into reinforcing my cage

corax
05-28-2009, 05:44 PM
in the first part where they show him starting to roll and you see his arm out the window. Yikes i thought for sure that was gonna get a whole lot worse glad to hear they were back at camp and just sore. i think im gonna look into reinforcing my cage

I was looking at the passengers arm when they were on their side but still tumbling, missed a bunch of rocks by inches. The other obvious thing that didn't really help was the short wheelbase . . . and because they were locked F & R it started to crab-walk a bit to the driver/downhill side when they lost forward momentum (set the rig more side-hill).

It's easy to analyze it after the fact, but it all happens so quick. These videos are an excellent resource to study though and see what they could have done different . . . for example, turning the wheels passenger side while backing up to point the nose uphill instead of sidehill and gentler on the brake would could have made all the difference

Whitey
05-28-2009, 07:31 PM
"Lovey (the dog) knows how to place herself according to the terrain, but nothing could prepare her for the constant rolling over. When we are on steep uphill or downhill trails, she gets on the floor of the jeep, and braces her body parallel to our front seats. If we are on a paved road she gets up on the seat and looks out the window. She is the best jeeping dog! She loves to go jeeping."