PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Fill me in on New Posts?

AxleIke
04-12-2007, 11:12 AM
How can I set my new posts button to give me only the posts that are new since i last visited. I have like 8 pages of new posts, but only about 2 have posts i haven't seen before?

Thanks

Seanz0rz
04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
on the right side, top and bottom of the new posts "field" there is a mark read button. just click that and it removed all those posts.

the new posts that are displayed are those that you havent read since they became a new post, therefore they never go away unless you tell them to with the mark read button.

hope that helps, welcome to the site!

marko3xl3
04-12-2007, 06:47 PM
welcome!

seanz0rs pretty much covered it.

what i do is look at the threads in the new posts (the thread disappears once you look at it and only comes back when something new is posted) and then hit "marked read" if i went through everything. if not, i keep it for next time.

also remember to go to "replies to my posts" FIRST because if you "mark read" the new posts, it'll get rid of all the "replies to my posts" thread as the two are linked. But, if you "mark read" on "replies to my posts" first, it'll only get rid of THOSE threads in the "new page" listing, if that makes sense.

AxleIke
04-12-2007, 08:05 PM
thanks

Cebby
04-17-2007, 02:43 PM
One other advantage our system has over vBulletin.

If you log into a vBulletin forum and hit new posts, you get a list just like you do here. The big difference is that if for some reason you leave the vBulletin site you are on and return later, it will show your previous new posts list as read, whether you read them or not. I've had countless times where I went else where and returned, only to find no new posts.

SMF handles them as once a new post (to you) always a new post until you either read it or use the "mark read" button. It's a great feature and gives you better control over what you show as unread.

One other nice feature is that you can be reading a thread and if you want it to remain in your new posts list, you can hit the "mark unread" button for it to remain unread.

Think of it as a MS Outlook email inbox with auto filing.