PDA

View Full Version : Some ammo help...

slosurfer
06-14-2009, 07:49 PM
I was given some ammunition by a lady that I work for and need some help figuring out exactly what I got and if any of it is worth anything. :laugh: Basically her father must have had a gun collection or something and he passed away about 5 yrs ago. I think her brothers have his guns but she came across more of his ammunition and gave it to me because she didn't want to mess around with mailing it to her brothers. I think I need to see if her brothers want to get rid of any of them. :D

Some of it I will keep for future "toys" like the box of .45 and the box of .45 Remington shotshell. I wants me a .45! :D Also got some .22 LR rounds as well that I know I'll keep. I may also hold on to the 500 shotshell primers that were in there.

Some of the other stuff, I need to find out more about to see if, A) I should hold on to it, since it may work for something I wouldn't mind getting later or B) is it "rare" and worth anything :laugh: and that's where you guys come in. I went through and inventoried everything and some of them seem to be not your everyday caliber. I've been googleing the different calibers for awhile and some of them I'm having a hard time finding much info on. Need to know what to hold on to for future toys and if anything is just too off the wall and better off selling it to fund future toys. :laugh:

The first two are ones that look like old boxes.
Remington 30-40 Krag 220grain in an old looking box (7 rounds and 9 spent casings)

Western Super X Silvertip 300 H&H Magnum 180grain Expanding Bullet (this is the one that I'm having the hardest time finding, I have found similar with the same looking boxes but not the exact grain/caliber) I have two complete boxes of this (40rounds) and a few loose rounds. The box is like this but without the grizzly. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=130222210

The other two don't appear to be old boxes but I would just like to know more about them.

1 box (20rounds) of Remington 45-70 Govt. 405grain Soft Point (from what I read, this and the weapon that went with it, replaced the 30-40 Krag in the US military) Is it worth holding onto, seems like a big slow round?

Winchester 32-20 100grain Lead Says Rifle or Handgun Cartridge (not quite a complete box ~35 rounds) Looks like this: http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/cfrdetail.aspx?symbol=X32201

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbup:

reggie 00
06-14-2009, 08:26 PM
I may also hold on to the 500 shotshell primers that were in there.

209 primers? good for Muzzle loaders

The first two are ones that look like old boxes.
Remington 30-40 Krag 220grain in an old looking box (7 rounds and 9 spent casings)

Someone into C&R rifles would probably buy em.

Western Super X Silvertip 300 H&H Magnum 180grain Expanding Bullet

Anyone going to Africa soon for Safari?

1 box (20rounds) of Remington 45-70 Govt. 405grain Soft Point

Id keep these, Marlin makes a nice Lever action in 45-70
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/1895SBL.asp

Winchester 32-20 100grain Lead Says Rifle or Handgun Cartridge

Looks like another C&R sell

Any help would be appreciated. :thumbup:

CJM
06-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Keep them all, mostly collectible imho b/c of the age and the fact no one really uses these anymore. Reggies right, all C&R Stuff tbh All the stuff is really too exotic these days for you to even find much of anything to fire it in. Maybe the 45-70, but enjoy the kick lol.

slosurfer
06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
Reggie, you may be right, those might be for muzzle loaders because I also got a couple bags of patches in the box as well.

That Marlin looks really nice! :thumbup: I bet it does kick pretty good! :laugh: Would that be good for pig huntin'?

That 300 H&H stuff is pretty damn expensive! I haven't found much on the exact ones that I have but the new stuff is $50-80 a box. The husband on one of my wife's friends collects antique guns (has his license), I should see if he has anything that will shoot these. Or maybe I'll meet her brothers this christmas and see if they want to part with any of them. :)

reggie 00
06-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Reggie, you may be right, those might be for muzzle loaders because I also got a couple bags of patches in the box as well.

That Marlin looks really nice! :thumbup: I bet it does kick pretty good! :laugh: Would that be good for pig huntin'?

That 300 H&H stuff is pretty damn expensive! I haven't found much on the exact ones that I have but the new stuff is $50-80 a box. The husband on one of my wife's friends collects antique guns (has his license), I should see if he has anything that will shoot these. Or maybe I'll meet her brothers this christmas and see if they want to part with any of them. :)

The 45-70 would be good for Pig and then some.

Robinhood4x4
06-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Remember Quigley Down Under? The rifle used is based on the 45-70 family of cartridges. I'm not sure if the actual rifle in the movie used the 45-70 or the 45-110, but either way, 45-70 is a big cartridge. http://www.eabco.com/Sharps03.htm

It sounds like the guy had a bunch of big guns.

That's all I know, not much help with the value but I guess you could sell them online or just give them back to the family.

slosurfer
06-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Where's Fuster??

If the family was local, I would just talk to the brothers. The most local is the lady I work for and she lives in Sacramento and is turning this house into the party vacation house. I think the bros live in Texas and possibly NorCal or east coast (can't remember). What is the deal on mailing munitions? UPS?

fustercluck
06-14-2009, 11:04 PM
Mailing ammo, primers and powder will require a haz mat fee (min $20.00 if they'll do it). The 45-70 is still a cartridge with a loyal following. I found a couple of boxes of my great uncle's 45-70 stash when he passed and I held onto them for a future purchase. The other stuff like Reggie said, and others confirmed, is likely to be more trouble than it's worth. the 300 H&H magnum was Holland and Holland's (UK) hot rodded answer to the 30-06 springfield. You can stiff find rifles that shoot it, but unless you are an enthusiast and can "roll-your-own" then the cost of feeding that beast might take the fun out of it. Sell it on Gun Broker....

Keep the .45 acp and the .22lr.

fustercluck
06-14-2009, 11:13 PM
I did some research on the 32-20 winchester. Seems it was developed in the late 1800's as a black powder cartridge for hunting small game (not deer). It has a .32 hundredths of a inch diameter and the '20' was to indicate how many grains of black powder went into the cartridge. I doubt it's a black powder round now though. Still, I'd see if it would sell on GB.

The 30-40 Krag was developed to replace the 45-70 govt. in the late 1800's. It's also known as .30 army or govt. I've seen rifles in that caliber, but never wanted one. Gun Broker again....

04 Rocko Taco
06-15-2009, 12:04 AM
I've got an old Springfield Trapdoor 45-70 around... lemme know if you wanna get rid of those 45-70 rounds.

Robinhood4x4
06-15-2009, 06:53 AM
No hazmat fee for shipping loaded ammo, just the primers and powder. The box does have to be marked ORM-D, however.