PDA

View Full Version : Uwharrie National Forest, Central NC 7/31/09

carljwnc
07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
A friend, 2" lifted FJ Cruiser, and I, stock except BudBuilt skid plate, are going to do some exploring Fri. the 31st out at Uwharrie National Forest. (http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/uwharrie/index.htm) :guitar:

Two things...

First, I'd love any input from anyone who has been there regarding which trails we should attempt, or avoid, in the above mentioned vehicles. Sounds like Daniel is out for us, but we may possibly be able to do everything else. We have both been doing research but are coming up with conflicting information. :headscratch:

Second, Anyone want to join in??? Meeting point to be established, but will be somewhere in the Asheboro area probably in the 9-10am'ish range. Should be fun, and of course a trip report will follow for those that do not attend. :)

:drink:

04 Rocko Taco
07-15-2009, 08:38 PM
I could be talked into this... :) A friend of mine has been urging me to check out Uwharrie for a long time. I'll see if I can get any info from him about whats up there. :) Just glad to see some other southeaterners riding. :)

carljwnc
07-16-2009, 07:31 AM
I could be talked into this... :) A friend of mine has been urging me to check out Uwharrie for a long time. I'll see if I can get any info from him about whats up there. :) Just glad to see some other southeaterners riding. :)

We'd love to have you along. :thumbup: I'll be leaving from the Asheville area at 6am if you want a place to stop over, should be a 2.5-3hr drive from here.

Is your 'unemployed' line under your avatar still correct??? If so we can make it the unemployed wheelin' trip. Both me and my friend are unemployed machinists. :P

04 Rocko Taco
07-16-2009, 08:11 AM
It is still correct. :) I'll see what I can do, thanks for the offer of a stop over.

DHC6twinotter
07-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Is this a Friday run, or is everybody getting there on Friday?

carljwnc
07-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Is this a Friday run, or is everybody getting there on Friday?

I'm just going to be there Fri. Gotta' be back in Fairview Fri. night. Wish I could stay longer, but I might be heading up to KY Sat. :hillbill:

04 Rocko Taco
07-16-2009, 01:16 PM
What's in KY? Not going to Harlan are you? There is a group from Ga and knoxville, TN headin up there on the 18th of this month. if you are heading to Harlan, might want to head up with them.

DHC6twinotter
07-16-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm just going to be there Fri. Gotta' be back in Fairview Fri. night. Wish I could stay longer, but I might be heading up to KY Sat. :hillbill:

Oh, ok. I've got to work Friday, but you all have fun up there!

carljwnc
07-17-2009, 01:26 PM
What's in KY? Not going to Harlan are you? There is a group from Ga and knoxville, TN headin up there on the 18th of this month. if you are heading to Harlan, might want to head up with them.

I'm possibly going up for a friends party and to hear another friends band from San Franciso playing, I'll be riding with my sister in her Hyundai which won't be doing any off-road. :roll:

carljwnc
07-17-2009, 01:28 PM
Oh, ok. I've got to work Friday, but you all have fun up there!

Thanks!!! Wish you could join us, we'll take plenty of pics and probably some video to share. :)

carljwnc
07-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Meeting time and place set. Eldorado Outpost (http://www.eldoradooutpost.com/) 9:30am. See y'all there!!! :thumbup:

TrailGhost
07-21-2009, 03:27 PM
I am the other guy Carl speaks of with the FJ cruiser. Just joined the forum today. Carl unknowingly directed me to this site through a post on the subaruforester forums. It would be great to have some of you guys join us if possible. Like I mentioned somewhere else, call in sick to work it will be worth it. What do I know, I am an unemployed machinist also.

04 Rocko Taco
07-22-2009, 08:44 AM
<~~~~ Unemployed also.
I'm going to try and make this, but I dont know, we will have to see.

carljwnc
07-24-2009, 12:02 PM
One more week!!! :alert: I'm ready to GO.

Rocko Taco, any idea yet? Even if you want to jump in at the last minute that's fine.

:drink:

04 Rocko Taco
07-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I HOPING hardcore, I NEEEEEEED some wheelin time, we'll see though.

carljwnc
07-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Just a few more days, I'm ready to GO!!! :D

TrailGhost
07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I am ready to go. I think I have all my gear ready as well. I am gonna bring along a couple cameras to record our efforts.

carljwnc
07-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Loaded up and ready to RIDE!!! :thumbup: Out the door at 6am on the morrow.

04 Rocko Taco
07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm out. Sorry fellas, I hate to miss out on this trip.

carljwnc
07-31-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm out. Sorry fellas, I hate to miss out on this trip.

Sorry you can't make it. :( But we'll do it again, perhaps you can make it next time. :)

T-minus 35 mins. till departure time. :smokin:

TrailGhost
08-02-2009, 05:04 PM
We had a pretty good time. we only managed to hit one trail though. Falls Dam is the one. Spent about 3.5 hours on the trail but 45 mins or so was spent fixing a tire puncture. Carl had to head back to Asheville and there was heavy rain starting to roll in. We have some pictures a video but it is not much. For first timers I think we did all right.

carljwnc
08-04-2009, 04:04 AM
We have some pictures a video but it is not much.

I think between the two of us we did alright. :thumbup: One of us needs to put up a thread in the 'Event Reports' section, I guess whoever comes up with the time first. ;)

carljwnc
08-08-2009, 05:01 AM
One of us needs to put up a thread in the 'Event Reports' section, I guess whoever comes up with the time first. ;)

http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=8015.0

NC994Run
11-03-2009, 08:26 AM
I wanted to bump this because I will be heading there this Saturday

carljwnc
11-05-2009, 03:00 AM
I wanted to bump this because I will be heading there this Saturday

Have Fun!!! :hillbill: Wish I could join you, but my wheelin' days are over until I get my front end rebuilt. :(

Crinale
11-05-2009, 10:38 AM
what did you do to your front end carl????

carljwnc
11-06-2009, 02:42 AM
what did you do to your front end carl????

Wear and tear, it has been needing attention since I got it 30k mi. ago. I was trying to wait until I could afford a lift and then I lost my job and now I just need to do it without the lift. Getting kinda' wibbly-wobbly going down the road, going to do new BJ's and tie rods as soon as I can find the money for it.

Crinale
11-06-2009, 03:08 PM
ouch... ya i need a new idler arm, and a new driver side steering box... this stuff aint cheap...