PDA

View Full Version : Shrockworks - Lighting

ttora4runner
07-20-2009, 06:37 PM
For those with the Shrockworks front bumper what brand of light are you running in the two side light pockets on the bumper?

I know piaa makes the 4" lights that fit in this space but I haven't seen any information on Hella, IPF or Lightforce lights that would fit this space.

corax
07-20-2009, 06:48 PM
how about something like this? (http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=5776.0)

lens diameter = 4"
cost = $10 utility light + $15 sealed beam per side

Seanz0rz
07-20-2009, 09:54 PM
AFAIK, Piaa and hella are the only ones that make lights in the 4" size. The piaa are top notch and I believe the Hellas are pretty cheap both in price and performance.

Fwiw, I live my piaa fogs. Worth the 180 I paid on eBay.

DHC6twinotter
07-21-2009, 07:24 AM
In their latest issue, 4WDTO tested some 4" lights on their 80 seires. They were purchased from Baja Rack, but I didn't see the lights listed on their website. They were 4" HID lights, and according to them, the lights worked very well. They were pricey though, at about $250, IIRC.

slosurfer
07-21-2009, 07:48 AM
doesn't kragen sell those cheap HID 4" lights? or are they a different size?

YotaFun
07-21-2009, 04:51 PM
you could also do the lights Keith has and install these in them
http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=102&parent=85

just an idea.
that's like a $50 set of HIDs lol

ttora4runner
07-26-2009, 12:52 PM
AFAIK, Piaa and hella are the only ones that make lights in the 4" size. The piaa are top notch and I believe the Hellas are pretty cheap both in price and performance.

Fwiw, I live my piaa fogs. Worth the 180 I paid on eBay.

That's about what Shrockworks and Amazon sells them for from what I've seen.

That cheap lighting idea may not be bad.

Seanz0rz
07-26-2009, 02:35 PM
no i paid 180 shipped with tax for mine, not the 199+shipping+tax that other places want. mine were new in box, still with the factory tape.

ttora4runner
07-26-2009, 06:48 PM
no i paid 180 shipped with tax for mine, not the 199+shipping+tax that other places want. mine were new in box, still with the factory tape.

Oh.

ttora4runner
07-28-2009, 02:10 PM
SeanORz how do you have them wired? Are you using the factory fog light wiring or did you wire it a different way?

Just wondering if the stock wiring could handle the lights.

CJM
07-28-2009, 03:48 PM
^ FWIW wire them yourself, the stock wiring while adequate is just that-adequate. I have very powerfull lightbar on my work van that we totally wired ourself with all 14 gauge or better wire. No chances and its held up great. I also wired all my offroad lights, all 14ga too.

Thicker the wire better you are so long as you dont go nuts. Most stock wiring its 18ga and imho barely enough.

ttora4runner
07-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Just bought a set of the Piaa 510 Fog lights off ebay for $165.00. :clap: :P :shake:

Seanz0rz
07-31-2009, 04:29 PM
i have them running through this switch:
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/hamiltoncomputers/interior/IMG_0847.jpg

as number 1. number 4 is the lights on top. 2 and 3 arent used yet... got that fancy switch thing from autozone, got a HUGE discount because it was open box. its good for 10 amps of draw, so basically all it does is provide a switching source for some 30 or 40 amp relays. great thing is it turns off when i turn off the truck (wired to the acc) and dont come back on when i restart the truck.

ttora4runner
08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
My set of PIAA's came in today and I have a question or two.

I'm going to be using the factory fog light switch and not the one supplied with the lights. On the back of the factory switch there are three prongs which one is the power, the ground and the netural?

PIAA switch wiring (white - power, red - netural and black ground correct)

Everything else is prewired except the power to the switch which needs to run to a source (obivous.

How should I wire the power to switch?

Thanks

4x4mike
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
What factory switch do you have? Is it on the stock or is it a toggle with orange light? It's it's the latter there are three prongs, labeled 1, 2, 3. Two of the prongs are silver and the last a copper color. One prong ( number 1 I think) is the ground for the orange light and the other two for the lights (power interrupter).

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/DSC06763.jpg

If it is the switch on the stock I have no idea. I've never followed the wires from my stock but there is no light on it. I imagine these are wired into the headlight circiut as well as the factory fogs turn off with the high beams.

ttora4runner
08-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Yep, that's the switch.

How does that correspond with the wiring that is prerun to the piaa switch though (black, red, white)?

CJM
08-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I would find a voltmeter and figure out the polarity.

But hey, these guys already did it: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/switch/

* Top prong should be connected to the ground wire
* Middle prong should be connected to the "hot" power wire
* Bottom prong should be connected to the wire for the relay

Find out which wire is what for the PIAA lights, then its simple.

4x4mike
08-04-2009, 03:01 PM
My set of PIAA's came in today and I have a question or two.

I'm going to be using the factory fog light switch and not the one supplied with the lights. On the back of the factory switch there are three prongs which one is the power, the ground and the netural?

PIAA switch wiring (white - power, red - netural and black ground correct)

Everything else is prewired except the power to the switch which needs to run to a source (obivous.

How should I wire the power to switch?

Thanks

Does/did your 4runner have fog lights from the factory. If so are you no longer using them (just the switch)? This is kind of what I'm getting from you. I'm also getting that the new lights are pre wired. Does this mean they are hooked up with a relay?

Are you planning on just plugging your new lights (just the lights) into the factory harness? If so just take out your old lights and/or splice your new lights into the factory harness on each side and you're good. Only problem I could see is that if the new lights pull a lot more than your factory lights. If so just rewire using the instructions that came with your new lights and use the Toyota switch instead of the one that PIAA gave you.

ttora4runner
08-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Here you go. Everything is prewired with the kit all I have to do is make the connections to the battery and run power to the switch. Which is the question I have, how should I run power to the switch (I don't have factory fog lughts)?

The switch that came with the lights is being axed in favor of the factory switch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/tbox/100_0654.jpg

4x4mike
08-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Oh, Ok. You got a switch for this project. I get it. I thought maybe you already had the factory fogs. Install those puppies just like they show in the instructions. Don't cut anything as they look good to go. Well you might have to unplug the switch from the harness and it the prongs into your new switch as shown above.

It looks as if the harness has a relay. It's the little black box that has 4 wires going into it. Unplug everything from the relay taking note where everything goes. Mount the lights in the pockets. Then run the wires where you want them (it'll be much easier now that everything is unplugged from the relay). From the looks of your setup I'd mount the relay on the fire wall or somewhere on the sheet metal under the hood. This will keep it protected and dry. Connect the wires from the lights to the mounted relay (where they were before you unplugged everything). Run your switch wire through the rubber grommet in the firewall on the drivers side and pull wire through. You should have only one wire. Next run a wire from the 12V switched fuse spot that is in the fuse box by your left knee. On my 1999 4runner it is the upper left empty spot but use a volt meter to make sure it is in fact switched. That wire goes from that box to one of the prongs on the switch (the copper one or the middle silver one). The wire you pulled through the firewall goes on the other prong (the copper one or the middle one-either way will work but if it's backwards the orange light won't turn on when the lights are on-ie. on is off and off is on). The left over prong on the switch needs a wire from it to ground. This is for the orange light.

Next you need to ground the relay. I believe it's prong 30 from the relay. Now all that is left is to connect the battery to the relay. I say do this one last because it gives you time to go over everything before you hook it up to power. Once it is hooked up to the 12v you're good to go.

Hope this makes sense.

4x4mike
08-05-2009, 10:06 PM
After looking at your picture again it looks like you have a custom harness. It might make my post even more confusing. Here is a wiring diagram
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/MISC/Automotive-Wiring-Diagram-1.jpg

It's pretty simple. Just make sure yours looks the same (proper wires going to the correct prongs and sources). It's going to be harder running wires cleanly and having the lengths of wire you need to put stuff where you want it. I have a fuse block in the cab which makes it easy to wire up accessories. It's 12V hot and fused. I've got my relay about 6" from the box so all my wires are short and organized. The longest wires are from the lights to the box and from the switched 12v to the box.

It might be worth it to go to Radio Shack or the like and pick up some split wire loom and small zip ties. It'll make the install nice and clean and protect your wiring. You don't want something chafing and shorting out. It's worth the couple bucks.

ttora4runner
08-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Got them installed. I cut off the supplied piaa harness and wired in the factory switch.

Right now I have it hooked up to battery (constant power) but that will change eventually.