PDA

View Full Version : Im ready for Deer Season now

reggie 00
08-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Went out this morning to sight in the Marlin.
I had a Leupold 2x7 put on since it will primarily be a brush gun.

sighted in the scope @ 100yds which will be the farthest i can see shooting in the terrain I scouted last week anyway.

Here is the result.
took 10 rounds, mainly because i messed up and used 3 after talking to my brother as i adjusted and ended up going up 4" instead of down 4"

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n74/reggiemiller00/003-4.jpg

the three showing are the 3 confirming final ones.

Now all i have to do is get a new battery and change out a tire on the 4Runner and im all set unless my hunting pants don't fit anymore....

Are you ready too??

RunnerUp
08-01-2009, 04:31 PM
oh im ready, but unfortunately down here deer general gun season doesnt start for a couple more months, but im sighted in and ready! mmmm backstrap wrapped in bacon... delish!

slosurfer
08-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Oh hey! Speaking of hunting, you still thinking of pig hunting in hunter liggett? I need to get ahold of a rifle for that.

reggie 00
08-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Yep
Been talking with a couple OT's (old timers) and they said the best time to hunt is a month after the acorns drop. our guess is Drop in Sept so I'm thinking Oct.

Do you have your lic? tags easy enough to get. If you want to go and don't really want to drop coin on a new rifle I'll bring one down for ya.

slosurfer
08-01-2009, 10:40 PM
I don't have my license, but am willing to get one. I may be able to use my dad's rifle, but I seem to remember that it is kind of small, I'll have to ask him.

What do I need to do to get my license and tag?

04 Rocko Taco
08-01-2009, 11:05 PM
for hog's??? here in GA they are nuisance animals, no licensce needed, shoot on sight. :) just like coyotes.

reggie 00
08-02-2009, 09:40 AM
I don't have my license, but am willing to get one. I may be able to use my dad's rifle, but I seem to remember that it is kind of small, I'll have to ask him.

What do I need to do to get my license and tag?

Have you had a Ca hunting lic before?

If you have take the old expired one in with you to a place that sell hunting licences, i got mine this year again at Longs drug. they will give you a current one after you pay the fee.

If you have and you don't have a copy of the old one you have to fill out the affidavit, stating you did, what year it was and where you got it. then pay the fee.

If you have not ever had a licence you have to find someplace that you can take the hunters safety course. then take the certificate down and pay your fee.

The place you get your licence might have Pig tags, if they don't you can just go to your local Fish and Game.

They are a varmint here too, but you still have to have a licence, and tags. good thing is it year round and you can pick up like 5 tags at atime.

slosurfer
08-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Does my DD214 count as a 4yr hunter safety course? :laugh:

Actually, one year, my brother and I as kids did take the hunter safety course, but not sure if we actually got hunting licenses. We did go turkey hunting that year, so maybe we did. I'll have to call my mom and see if she has those certificates in a file somewhere.

Edit: Called my mom, and she didn't find my hunter's license, but she did find my hunter's safety course certificate from '92. So I just need to go get my license now and check out what my dad's old deer rifle is and see if I can borrow it. :)

reggie 00
08-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Sweet.
Its definitely on now.

Its all good on the rifle if your dads isnt up to the task, i have you covered.

Remember you are in "Condor country" so lead free is the word of the day.

I cant seem to find lead free 8mm so i ordered the reloading dies so i can reload some.

Don't let the sticker shock get to you, remember you are really only going to shot one or two rounds.

Go to the range and sight it in with regular ol lead, and when you have that all good throw one of those special lead free down the pipe to make sure it is on the same page.

slosurfer
08-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Yeah, funny thing is, I doubt they use lead free at their ranges there. :laugh:

Also, I was reading something about having to get a FHL 2day Permit?

reggie 00
08-02-2009, 09:33 PM
yep

go here:

http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/

you'll see the link over on the right for the app.

it takes like two weeks so there is time.

slosurfer
08-02-2009, 09:53 PM
yep, that's where I was reading it. :thumbup:

I'm getting excited, now I've got to shed a few so I can fit in my cammies. :laugh: April thinks it's mean for me to hunt a pig, so I asked her, how it was any worse than me going and buying that pork roast in the fridge. :laugh:

randver
08-03-2009, 05:40 AM
you guys should do it the old way and hunt them with spears.

reggie 00
08-03-2009, 08:40 PM
you guys should do it the old way and hunt them with spears.

You first,

I promise i'll stand a bit back with my .44 to shoot it before it gores you to bad.

reggie 00
08-03-2009, 08:47 PM
yep, that's where I was reading it. :thumbup:

I'm getting excited, now I've got to shed a few so I can fit in my cammies. :laugh: April thinks it's mean for me to hunt a pig, so I asked her, how it was any worse than me going and buying that pork roast in the fridge. :laugh:

Did she see your point?

Alot of people dont stop to think like that.

If we would just let the animals like deer and pig go unchecked, what we'll end up with is a bunch of starving deer, since generally they grind their teeth to nothing in like 6-7 years. A whole lot of pigs destroying crops and landscape. They will have to start a whole new section of tread lightly just for pigs.

And a whole lot more predator attacks since the cougar and bear population will probably go up since there will be so much to eat.

And we all know what will happen then. Lil johnny will be out camping in the woods and get eaten by a cougar.

DHC6twinotter
08-03-2009, 08:50 PM
April thinks it's mean for me to hunt a pig, so I asked her, how it was any worse than me going and buying that pork roast in the fridge. :laugh:

You can do it Filipino style and run a stick through the pig and cook it over a fire. That is the main party item there. Lechon is good stuff. Save it for Pismo. :drool:

Sorry, I have nothing more constructive to add to this thread. :hillbill:

slosurfer
08-03-2009, 09:48 PM
:laugh: Actually a pig roast on the beach has crossed my mind. One of the companies who came to Surf n Turf roasted a pig on the beach and shared with everyone (well everyone that got in line real quick).