PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: rebuild engine or swap for fewer miles?

Cuthroat72
08-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey guys. It's getting close to "time for concern" I fear. My '99 runner has 210,000 miles on it, and it's beginning to treat the garage floor like a dog does a fire-hydrant. She's gettin a little tired, and I am curious about a rebuild, of course anything worth doing is worth doing right. I am curious as to what the best way to make power out of the 3.4L v-6 is, without doing a super charger. To be clear, I have the 3.4, and I am talking about internals(cams, valves, etc.)to make some extra power. I love my 4runner, and drive it daily, but I have seen firsthand what a rebuild can do, especially when the rebuild gets more air to and thru the engine. Biggest difference with my past rebuilds: Ford, carb'd, V-8, OHV versus DOHC, EFI, etc. So I am throwing it to you guys... What do you think?

Romans

4x4mike
08-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Where is the engine leaking from? What's it leaking? Oil?

How's your compressor, etc? Maybe you just need to fix your leaks and call it good. If you've got cranks, wrapping, etc then it's time for a replacement or major work. At that mileage I'm not sure I'd throw a SC on it. How much more power are you looking for?

Cuthroat72
08-13-2009, 06:17 PM
My biggest concern is the oil. I will have to find the time to pull the skidplates to see if I can localize the leak(s). Some of them are on the right side of the motor, some of the left. I know that redoing all of the seals and gaskets (rear main, oil pan, head gaskets, etc.) mill most likely require some extensive work, and more than likely pulling the motor or trans (which is gonna SUUUUUCK without being home near the impact wrenches and heavy duty tools, not to mention my more mechanically inclined buddies), so I was thinking about, since it has so many miles on it, just killin 2 birds with one stone. If u have to pull it and take it apart, why not make it better than it was, right?

I was thinking about 30 horses and if I can get 50 lb-ft of torque I'll be happy. I love my truck, and don't wanna give it up. You can't get a 5 speed anymore, and it's got the e-locker from the factory, and it's got some serious sentimental value. I thought about doing a diesel swap, but I don't have 15 grand to spend and that kinda time. Maybe some day, but in the meantime...

I know that a general refresh (rings, pistons, port and polish) will help make the power at least a little better, but if there's a chance that changing the valves and cam-shafts will make more torque and a few extra horses, I think it might be worth the effort.

This may not be related at all, but since you asked about compressors, when I turn on the AC (I don't use it a lot of the time just for the MPG gain), it starts to rattle like an old diesel engine when you roll into the gas heavily. I think it's just tired, but I'll take all the help I can get!

troyboy162
08-14-2009, 02:39 AM
kinda off topis but a diesel swap is big money for us? i mean i cant even try cause im in Cali but i would have figured there were a few drop in options

opps did some research....yea they want big money to do it and it looks way too hard to try on your own. what a bummer...

MTL_4runner
08-14-2009, 06:29 AM
My biggest concern is the oil. I will have to find the time to pull the skidplates to see if I can localize the leak(s). Some of them are on the right side of the motor, some of the left. I know that redoing all of the seals and gaskets (rear main, oil pan, head gaskets, etc.) mill most likely require some extensive work, and more than likely pulling the motor or trans (which is gonna SUUUUUCK without being home near the impact wrenches and heavy duty tools, not to mention my more mechanically inclined buddies), so I was thinking about, since it has so many miles on it, just killin 2 birds with one stone. If u have to pull it and take it apart, why not make it better than it was, right?

I was thinking about 30 horses and if I can get 50 lb-ft of torque I'll be happy. I love my truck, and don't wanna give it up. You can't get a 5 speed anymore, and it's got the e-locker from the factory, and it's got some serious sentimental value. I thought about doing a diesel swap, but I don't have 15 grand to spend and that kinda time. Maybe some day, but in the meantime...

I know that a general refresh (rings, pistons, port and polish) will help make the power at least a little better, but if there's a chance that changing the valves and cam-shafts will make more torque and a few extra horses, I think it might be worth the effort.

This may not be related at all, but since you asked about compressors, when I turn on the AC (I don't use it a lot of the time just for the MPG gain), it starts to rattle like an old diesel engine when you roll into the gas heavily. I think it's just tired, but I'll take all the help I can get!

Here's a good thread to read if you haven't already:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=2241.0

Getting deep into the motor work does take alot of time, knowlegde, tools and money so the easiest thing for you will probably be just to swap motors for a lower mileage one and at the same time just replace all the top seals (valve covers, front and rear mains.....oil pan will likely be fine) while you're in there.

Cuthroat72
08-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Just out of curiosity 1)How much can I expect to pay for a 5vz at a junkyard vs. getting a new short block?.
2) Does anyone make a torquier (is that a word?) cam system for the 5vz?
The reason I am asking is my friends back home are GOOD with engines. ASE certified and probably certifiable car nuts. As a matter of fact, one of them is familiar with all of the Japanese companies and how to work on their engines. I was thinking of buying an engine from a wrecked truck, building it when I get time, and then dropping it in, rather than pullin the engine and letting it sit. I know it is gonna be a little bit spendy, but I wanna keep this truck for a good long time, and I am just curious to see if I can make this puppy a little bit stronger and at the same time.
I appreciate you guys throwin me a bone on this, being patient with me, etc. I deeply appreciate your help, and will be glad to show you guys the results etc.

Thanks again!

Cuthroat72
08-16-2009, 10:31 PM
All I can say is WOW. MTL, you seem to have been thru quite the ordeal. All that HG work and STILL having to pull the motor. That sucks. All that time and effort for nothing it seems. It's definitely looking like a spare 5vz is a good thing to have around. I think I am going to start looking around for an engine to goof around with some. There is a junkyard close to my home that is toyota specific, and I know they have an abundance of parts/wrecks there, so I might just have to make a trip sometime just to poke around a bit.

On another note, I haven't done the intake silencer removal mod yet. Have you done this? Did you notice any power gains if you did? For some strange reason, I equate my plight to attempting to put a patient on a ventilator so they can breathe easier, not work so hard to stay alive, and hang on long enough to get thru surgery and be strong again on the other side. And strong is what I want for the ole girl (my 4runner that is).