PDA

View Full Version : Gear Question for a 7.5" front diff

YotaFun
08-22-2009, 04:18 PM
I posted this in general tech because this spans two generations of 4Runners and Pickups.

I know of someone that has a front diff with 4.88 gears in it.
However it is from a 90.

Now I know that that diff will not fit in my 97.
However I was curious to know, if the internals, or the gear set, by any chance would?

I don't think so, but I was just curious.

Plus I have a lunch riding on the answer lol!

Thanks Guys!

corax
08-23-2009, 04:44 AM
Here ya go Avy, sounds like you have it backwards - the diff carrier itself should fit, but the gears won't
- should probably book mark Erik's Toyota Differential Info (http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/) page for future reference

'86-95 IFS trucks and 4Runners, and all '93-98 T100s use a 7.5" front diff that is offset to the passenger's side. Later models came with ADD (Automatic Differential Disconnect) which uses a vacuum actuated mechanism to disconnect the drivers side axle shaft from the differential. Carriers and gear sets are interchangeable between the two different versions (and also happen to be the same as used in the 2wd Toyota pickup 7.5" diffs).
- Passenger's side
- Low pinion
- 27 spline axles
* This diff is based on the 2wd pickup 7.5" rear diff- same internals, different housing.

'95-03 Tacoma, '00-04 Tundra, ?? Sequoia's, and 96-02 4Runners have a high-pinion 7.5" IFS front diff offset to the drivers side. The high-pinion design is used so that the rack and pinion steering and anti-sway bar on these vehicles can run under the front driveshaft. The housing is a unique bolt-together design. The carrier inside is exactly the same as the '86-95 IFS diffs, so LSD's and lockers for it are also the same. However, since this is a high-pinion diff, the gears for it are different (reverse-cut) than the earlier diff. There is an ADD and non-ADD version of this diff as well.
These diffs use different gear sets than the earlier IFS diff because of the high-pinion design.
- Driver's side
- High pinion
- 27 spline axles
- Bolt-together "clamshell" housing design.

Is your friend looking to get rid of that gearset?

YotaFun
08-23-2009, 10:09 AM
He was looking to get rid of the entire diff Keith,
You actually know who it is, it was the guy parting out a bunch of stuff on the PA board, I picked up two diffs from him.

He had a IFS front diff with 4.88 lying around.
And he was like "I could have swore that the diff would fit in the newer trucks."

So it looks like only the carrier can be swapped between the two and not the entire diff or the gears.

At least that is my understanding?

corax
08-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Yep, just the carrier itself, gears won't work