PDA

View Full Version : Newbie saying hi and wanting opinions

AreOhhEnn
09-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Just wanted to say hi and ask the opinion of the masses here.

I've always loved Toyotas. I'm an installer (mobile audio/video/security..etc) and Toyotas(and Lexus) by far have been my favorites to work on. I got my 1995 4Runner 3 years ago. Unfortunately, it was a 2WD. That was fine with me as the most off-road duty it would see were the dirt roads around the lakes here and on my buddy's farm when dove hunting season came around. Outside of that, it was my DD and road-trip vehicle. Being an installer, I loaded it up with a DDin Pioneer D3 nav with iPod and back-up camera and a 9" overhead DVD player. I beta test for Directed Electronics (Clifford, Viper, etc..) their alarms and remote start systems so I had one of their new 2-way LCD remote systems in and had the rear window set up to remotely roll down. No engine or suspension mods. Just a solid vehicle.... until the HG blew at 234K miles at the #1 cylinder.

So a perfect excuse to get another one. I found a same year 4Runner but in a 4WD really cheap ($1200). The tranny needed to be rebuilt but I have a regular mechanic whom I trade work with plus he's an all around cool guy I can trust. $1100 for a complete rebuild of the tranny and transfer case with new solenoids, etc... and a 12 month, 12K mile warranty. I plan to install the Warn hubs and I need to replace all 4 CV boots. Suspension work isn't a big deal for me since I used to that brakes and suspensions before I started installing.

Here's my question. My 2WD is in great shape other than the blown HG. I had this idea to keep it in my mom's garage (since she doesn't drive and it's not too far away). If I did that, I could do a complete overhaul (top to bottom, new gaskets, bearings, piston rings, etc...). I have to tell you that I have no fear working on any other part of a car outside the engine and tranny.... yes, electrical problems aren't a big deal for me. So should I keep my 2WD and slowly try to resurrect her or try to sell her off?

On a side note, if anyone has any wiring questions, audio, video, security, lighting, etc on any generation Toyota truck or SUV, feel free to ask me. Even though I've only owned the 95 4Runner, I've worked on ALL of them and know the innards pretty well up to the current generation.

Thanks for a great forum!

Ron

corax
09-13-2009, 03:07 PM
I vote you keep the 2wd. The engine doesn't need a "complete rebuild" just a headgasket, use it as a learning experience on how to take a part an engine. The only precaution: if it's gonna sit for awhile before you get to it & there is antifreeze in the oil, you will want to drain it before storage so it deosn't rust internal parts

YotaFun
09-13-2009, 05:05 PM
What Keith Said.
Sounds like it is still got tons of life left in it besides the blown head gasket.
I would keep it and do as Keith says.

And thanks for the advance future wiring info I may ask you in the future :-D

And In UltimateYota fashion, Welcome to UY!
Get some pics up of your setups, we would all like to see that!

AreOhhEnn
09-13-2009, 05:51 PM
What Keith Said.
Sounds like it is still got tons of life left in it besides the blown head gasket.
I would keep it and do as Keith says.

And thanks for the advance future wiring info I may ask you in the future :-D

And In UltimateYota fashion, Welcome to UY!
Get some pics up of your setups, we would all like to see that!

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I'd pretty much typed myself into keeping the 2wd 4runner. I think I'll still go through and do the entire overhaul (pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump). I'll probably end up dropping that into the 4wd. Having a spare motor and entire truck is nice :) Now time and money is the issue...

As for pics of my setups? Um... I guess I could do write-ups and pics of when I reinstall my Pioneer Nav and camera into the 4wd 4Runner... same for the remote start/security set up and wiring. I've had ideas about how to set up and wire up multiple frame/bumper cameras for you hard-core rock-crawlers to help you spot when you're on the trails.

If I'm working on a Toyota at work and remember to take pics, I'll do that and write up what I'm doing so I can add something useful here.

Thanks!

CJM
09-13-2009, 06:07 PM
I agree with the others, i would just do the HG-but if you want to do a full rebuild for fun thats ok. Warn you now the 3.slow as its affectionately called is a pain to work on imho. If you want to do a really cool project take your 2wd and drop a 3.4L V6 into it and then make it a 4wd offroad monster.

Glad to have a resident electrical guy onboard here, we are kinda lacking in that area.

Lee
09-14-2009, 03:34 PM
welcome aboard :)

fustercluck
09-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Welcome! Nice to have you here.

YotaFun
09-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I would be interested to see the wiring you do on any 3rd Gen 4Runner,
I have a 97 with the stock alarm that only unlocks and locks and has the panic, it would be nice to switch out the stock for one that has the starter and the option to roll down teh rear window.

That camera Idea is sounding nice too