PDA

View Full Version : Can the color be changed on a Sony CDX-GT430IP Headunit?

Cuthroat72
09-19-2009, 02:23 PM
I have the aforementioned headuniit in my '99 4Runner. I love it, as it does all I need it to do and more (has input for ipod, which I use, and an auxilary input in the front, if had want to run satellite radio, which, for the time being, I don't). But there is an issue.

The light is first of all blue, which I don't mind, but its uber-bright. This sucker is BRIIIIIGHT. I mean I can clearly see my face in the rearview mirror after dark. The only way to get relief and be able to feel like you can safely see is to appropriately place your right arm on the steering wheel to shield your face. There IS a dimmer feature, but all it dims, is the lettering telling you the artist, radio station, time, or whatever. It has no effect on the overtly lit buttons.

A link with a picture of the faceplate:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GT430IP/Sony-Xplod-CDX-GT430IP.html?search=sony+cdxgt430ip&ssi=0&tp=5684

The buttons for "source" "mode" and the button with the "magnifying glass (search)" are the ones that are blinding. The rest I can tolerate.

Since I can't tone the intensity down, I am curious if anyone knows how to change the bulb(s) on the faceplate. I have taken the screws out of the back, but I don't want to break anything and it seems like it's stuck together pretty good. Any help is much appreciated.

-Romans

Seanz0rz
09-19-2009, 02:26 PM
they are likely very tiny soldered led's. you wont be able to replace them.

ive had some luck getting a scrap of window tint and tinting the face of a few alarm clocks, and some led's on a laptop, you might want to try that.

Cuthroat72
09-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Well crap. I had my fingers crossed that was going to be able to at least change it to red, which is easier on my eyes.
"I need to see your driver's license, registration, insurance information, and why do you have your sunglasses on sir? It's 10 o'clock at night!"
"Have a seat officer, I am sure you'll understand!"
Haha.

Thanks for the reply Seanz

DHC6twinotter
09-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Might be a bit ghetto, but could you use a sharpe to "color" over the buttons? :hillbill: Maybe you can remove the buttons and color the back side so it isn't as noticeable?

Nick
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
You can maybe use some very clever masking tape and some VHT nightshades spray tint?

I had the same problem with my Kenwood unit - I used a Sharpie! ;-)

Cuthroat72
09-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I am not even sure I can get the back off of the faceplate. It seems pretty stuck on there to me. It's a good thought. I am going to keep digging and see what I can come up with. Some of my buddies back home are some of those "build your own electronics" types. Next chance I get, I will talk with them and see what they say.

Nick, do you have any pictures of your "coloring" job?

Thanks guys.

Obi..
09-19-2009, 06:19 PM
FWIW..(havn't played with this specific unit)

Some models have an automatic day/night setting, usually titled as a "DIM" or other function. Look under your settings and functions. (Like on an Alpine for example, it's under the setup functions, not the bass/balance/etc).

Set your clock to proper time, meaning day vs. night, or if the choice is there, select "Always" or whatever specific term is the new deal.

Always use this site for this type of thing, great for us w/ installer experience: http://www.the12volt.com/Default.asp?

Cuthroat72
09-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks NCB. I have looked at some of the reviews for the headunit, and one of the big complaints is that "it's too bright". I set the clock to the right time, but it doesn't acknowledge am vs. pm. The "Dim" setting only dims the lettering on the screen, and doesn't do anything about the buttons. There's even a scolding review on Sony's website about this unit, so I am guessing that it's pretty much stuck on "blinding" as its only setting.

Thanks for the site. I might have to get in over there at some point. I really enjoy putting new equipment in/on my 4Runner. As a matter of fact, I am looking at replacing my 12" sub with a shallow mount Pioneer subwoofer. It's just a matter of money, and being a student, it'll probably 2 years from now before I can get into serious fun.

thanks again to everyone for your replies!

CJM
09-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Im pretty sure you can take it apart and color the buttons from the back.