PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office 2007 SP2 Issues

Erich_870
10-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Here's the problem in a nut shell...

Downloaded the latest updates for Microsoft Office 2007 (SP2) and now my computer won't even boot up.

Here's the details...

Emachines D2880 with Celeron D processor, 2 Gb ram, upgraded graphics card for wide screen monitor -
Graphics Card Assitance Thread (threadhttp://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php? option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=7815.0 (http://threadhttp://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php? option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=7815.0))

Help me out here guys! :chair:

Thanks

Erich

Erich_870
10-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Any help out there?

I've held down F8 for safe mode, but it doesn't do anything. :chair:

My wife wants to go to Dell for a new computer :tapedshut:

Erich

Good Times
10-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Do you see the os boot up or are you stuck at the mobo's boot up screen?

Erich_870
10-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm stuck at the MOBO's start up screen. It's the Emachine "e" and the Celeron D down in the lower right hand corner. The CPU fan always runs on high during normal start up, but now it runs on high continuously. :(

Erich

Good Times
10-04-2009, 09:49 PM
if you're not even seeing the startup screen of the mobo (i.e. memory check, cpu check etc) then it might be the mofo?

if you see the "windows starting up" screen then I'd say maybe it's something else? Just strange that this would happen right after you did the sp2 update.

Erich_870
10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm not really sure what to call the screen. It's literally the first screen in the reboot process. This problems started during the restart from the SP2 install, so I don't know why else it would happen. It had been started that morning, so I don't think it's related to anything else.

Erich

Good Times
10-04-2009, 10:03 PM
can you get to the bios page via f12/f2/f5 or whatever the function key it is preset to?

trying to eliminate a few variables such as a bad mobo (maybe), bad boot up sequence (such as the bios somehow set to read an external drive)?

if you're able to get to the f8 screen where you can select "safe mode", "safe mode with network" etc then that's a good start. Can you get to this section?

Erich_870
10-04-2009, 10:16 PM
I just gave all the "F" keys a try and nothing happens. Something is fundementally wrong :(

At this point I'd jump for joy if I could get to safe mode :shake:

Erich

Erich_870
10-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Bingo!

It was some how related to my extrnal drive. I turned it off after you mentioned it.

It's still booting, so we'll see what we have.

Erich

Good Times
10-04-2009, 10:19 PM
a ha! ok that's bizarre. you'll want to check the bios to see what it's set to for the startup sequence.

Erich_870
10-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for you help Lance :thumbup:

I'll check out why the external drive would interferer with the restart. It's a hand-me-down from a friend, and I've been thinking about getting a new one anyways.

Erich

Good Times
10-04-2009, 10:48 PM
welp i'm glad everything is back to normal! can't take credit for much since I didn't provide any good leads!

if you're looking at HD's please avoid the maxtor onetouch series. their software is just plain horrible!

Erich_870
10-04-2009, 11:33 PM
I'll remember that.

Any opinions on HD's at Costco? I was thinking about a My Book but I haven't checked what they're carrying lately.

Erich

Crinale
10-05-2009, 12:20 AM
well i can tell you your first problem, you have an emachines and are thinking about "upgrading" to a Dell :-P

Erich_870
10-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Hahaha, no kidding :rofl:

My wife doesn't want to mess with a self built machine, but since it's working again, I have time to piece one together and get all the bugs out before she gets to use it. I'm really interested in the $500 one Mastacox linked to in my other thread.

Erich

YotaFun
10-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I have a WesternDigital My Book and a external HD I built myself buy taking out the HD in my WesternDigital World Book after I could never get it to work properly (open the case, took the HD out and put it into one of the cases you can buy at BestBuy and such) They haven't failed me yet "knocks on wood" and the software that came with the My book was great imho, but i don't use it anyway I just back up my stuff manually

Crinale
10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
the Western Digital drives are good, and the Seagate drives are good... i dont have any experience with the Maxtor externals though...

also, HP makes a "Home Server" that my grandpa uses that works really well... it comes with i think a 250gig drive, and slots for 4 more...

DHC6twinotter
10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
if you're looking at HD's please avoid the maxtor onetouch series. their software is just plain horrible!

I agree! My parents have a Maxtor onetouch, and it usually locks up the computer whenever it's turned on. We have to unplug the USB to get the PC to boot. :confused:

Lee
10-11-2009, 06:58 PM
DO NOT get maxtor externals. i've had 2 die on me within 1 year spans.

i currently run a seagate 1.5tb attached to my pc and a WD my book attached to my mac, and both are flawless so far.