PDA

View Full Version : newbie here

yota89craze
10-05-2009, 05:25 PM
hey to all you yota peeps. I have a 89 yota ext.cab with a 22re in it needs a new timing belt and head gasket. I also have an 89 yota runner with a v6 sr5, rusted completely out, runs like a champ... I would like to know is it possible to put the v6 engine in my truck, and what it would take if it is possible......thanks

Crinale
10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
first of all, welcome to UY...

as far as i know, the swap should be pretty straight forward... you will have to swap both the engine and the transmission, and you may need new drive shafts, because the xtra cab has a longer wheelbase than the 4runner.

are both 4wd? 2wd? one of each? and also, where in the world are you located?

and true to UY fashion, :pics:

DHC6twinotter
10-05-2009, 06:12 PM
To add to what Kevin mentioned, you would also have to swap ECUs, wire harness, and (iirc) relocate the engine mounts. Not sure if the dash stuff would plug in or not...may have to swap the gauge cluster as well.

Definitely doable, especially since you have both trucks. :thumbup:

Crinale
10-05-2009, 07:13 PM
they are both the same year too, so im pretty sure everything can just be swapped over... it shouldnt be too difficult, although, it may be time consuming, so hopefully u have another car to drive while these 2 are down...

the only thing that you would have to actually change, as Daniel pointed out, are the engine/transmission mounts... which would probably have to be fabricated...

Scuba
10-05-2009, 11:15 PM
22re's dont have timing belts..