PDA

View Full Version : Truckhaven Q's

SD4runner
10-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Ok, first off ... how long is the truckhaven trail? I cant seem to find the entrance or exit for the trail, just the paved "truckhaven trail". How do you get to it from SD? Is it a fun/challenging trail?

I am getting the bug to get out to the desert. I am a seasonal wheeler, and that season is about now. I've never done truckhaven and it sounds like a fun trail so I wanna go this weekend. Any info would be appreciated. Yes, I looked it up on google and found the GPS coords but I don't really see where you go from there.

Can someone outline it for me on google earth?!

slosurfer
10-07-2009, 09:18 AM
If I remember right, Truckhaven, is an OHV area that has lots of "trails" in it. Not sure if one of its trails is called "truckhaven" or not. The SD guys know more about it, hopefully they'll chime in for ya. :thumbup:

Scuba
10-07-2009, 10:43 AM
It's 5.2 miles, It starts at Highyway 86 at Norht Marina drive and then goes west, and curves back east to end at highway 86 again.

I have it in my funtreks "socal" book, pretty good description with a map showing the route.

I've never run it before but if your not busy saturday we could try it out..

RobG
10-07-2009, 12:46 PM
If you have never been to the fire plug you have to go.

It is fun but won't be too challenging the way you are set up. There is a lot of stuff to play on and many different routes you can take so you can make of it what you want. The Wells book gives one route you can take, having a trail book to find the entrance really helps. I'll look to see if I have any old tracks tonight.

Crinale
10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
did a quick search, and found this wiki article on Truck Haven...

http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Truckhaven_Hills

in the right side pane there is a link to a google earth .kmz file, but i dont have google earth installed on the computer im on to see if its any good...

Scuba
10-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Scratch what I said before, I'm heading into the mountains to run John Bull one last time before da snow..

randver
10-07-2009, 05:52 PM
i have only been out there once but. truckhaven is an OHV area. it may contain a trail with the same name. the fireblug is in an area that you can no longer drive in but you can hike to it. i would say the pay phone is a must find. and i would make sure you have a gps with you in truckhaven way to easy to get lost.

SD4runner
10-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Sweet guys, thanks for the info. OK so it ain't just a trail, cool!

So its not that challenging? Well I guess thats good...do a shakedown run I guess. ;) I really want to do Bronco peak later this year. Looks like.... "fun"... :D

SD4runner
10-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Crap, I still can't find directions!! North Marina Dr and Hwy 86 don't match anything? I see Truckhaven Trail from the 86... Do I follow that out?!

randver
10-08-2009, 02:50 AM
let me know when you want to hit up bronco peak

Scuba
10-08-2009, 10:10 AM
North marina drive is maybe half mile up the road from the actual road thats labeled "truckhaven trail"

Phs, Come up to BigBear and wheel bull :P

randver
10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
i think bronco peak is harder and a lot more fun then john bull

RobG
10-08-2009, 06:27 PM
i have only been out there once but. truckhaven is an OHV area. it may contain a trail with the same name. the fireblug is in an area that you can no longer drive in but you can hike to it. i would say the pay phone is a must find. and i would make sure you have a gps with you in truckhaven way to easy to get lost.

I haven't been there in a few years, when did they stop access to the fireplug?

SD4, I found some old garmin tracks but they lead to the fireplug so it doesn't sound like they will do you any good. Let me know if you want them anyway.

randver
10-09-2009, 03:39 AM
im not sure when they stopped access. I was out at truckhaven back in the beginning of 08, and the guys putting the run together where talking about being bummed that they where not going to be able to go find it since it was in an area you where not alowed to drive in anymore.