PDA

View Full Version : Backpacks... Do you use them??

jrallan26
04-15-2007, 08:50 AM
I am 37 years old and I still use my backpack from college. Its very handy. I keep everything from my cell phone, swiss army pocket knife.

My wife calls it my "man-purse".

Does anyone else something like this to keep your junk organized?

Back on subject, My 15 year old backpack finally died, its time for a new one. What should I replace it with? The only ones I like are from oakley.

localmotion
04-15-2007, 08:53 AM
I like this one

http://mi.oakley.com/images/catalog/generated/800x650/f4/457d97e80ebf0.jpg?1172799714

jrallan26
04-15-2007, 09:21 AM
If thats the toolbox, then thats my favorite...

jimbo74
04-15-2007, 10:34 AM
i have a jansport.... found it in the shed... tis got a leather bottom....
im 25 on tuesday and in college.... i also use anotehr one i found in the shed for work, pretty much the same, but larger with a bigger pouch pocket on the back

Paul H.
04-15-2007, 11:05 AM
My wife has a Dakine heli-pro. Awesome day pack and it has gotten awesome reviews.

CJM
04-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Camelbak, if you dont want a one off and want the toughest backpack that alot of our boys over in the sandbox and other places use-this is the one.

Cebby
04-15-2007, 11:28 AM
I have a Northface Yavapai - padded for a laptop. Not really big, but a manageable size.

Mine's slightly different than this one (mines a couple of years old now - plus mine's all black)

http://www.thenorthface.com/media/gear/catalog/AE5U/AE5U-5J4_mag.jpg

calrockx
04-15-2007, 11:30 AM
i have a jansport or two, but i didn't find them in the shed. they're nice and simple.
i'm a fan of quiksilver backpacks.

this semester tho i'm rockin the messenger bag. my laptop fits nicely in the targus one i have.

this site has a lot of backpacks and such: http://www.ebags.com/

Seanz0rz
04-15-2007, 12:22 PM
i have a jansport, really nice one, was half off at sports chalet. its my survival pack. living in earthquake country, its important to always have your stuff with you. currently its just medication and some first aid stuff. but soon to come it will have a few knives, waterproof matches, few hundred feet of rope, water and water purification stuff, and things like power bars, etc, etc.

i carry it with me pretty much everywhere. its sitting next to me in my dorm, i put it in my car when i go somewhere further than 5 miles, it goes home with me on the weekends, etc etc.

after katrina, i know that in an emergency, i cant rely on anyone to help me. i have to help myself.

as for school stuff, if i have my laptop, it goes in its messenger bag, if im just going to class, i just carry my notebook, everything i carry with me is on my belt anyway...

ChickenLover
04-15-2007, 02:46 PM
I have an old jansport as well. I mainly use it to transport my .45, stereo face, mp3player, sunglasses, etc to and from the truck.

habanero
04-15-2007, 02:56 PM
I store my kid in mine. :D

Tofer
04-15-2007, 03:40 PM
I have a 3 backpacks, one i've had since 7th grade or so.... but this semester i too am rockin the messenger bag.... i dont need to carry that much crap to class.

Henry
04-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Yep whenever I need to carry alot of junk. I'm using an older Eddie Bauer backpack now but am always partial to Northface and Dakine ones.

tacoclimber
04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
My wife has a Dakine heli-pro. Awesome day pack and it has gotten awesome reviews.

I rock the Heli-Pro, too. Way tough pack. Da Kine makes awesome stuff! My next choice would be either a North Face or a Gregory.

surf4runner
04-16-2007, 02:37 PM
i have an olskool stussy 'messenger' style pack.
has a waterproof liner and sit trapped to the rack on my MC. had it for years and still use it

ElkaholicTRD
04-17-2007, 04:11 AM
Camelbak, if you dont want a one off and want the toughest backpack that alot of our boys over in the sandbox and other places use-this is the one.

Camelbacks are WAY too overpriced, I use these for hauling my crap around for a week while flying. Very tough, tons of room, and a lot cheaper than a camelback. Oh and by the way the prices shown are too much. I can get 'em for $50.
http://www.pipergear.com/prodview.cfm?catid=2&item=43

Swissdrums
04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm all about Dakine...perfect for everything

http://static.backcountry.com/images/items/medium/DAK0342/TABCH.jpg

CJM
04-17-2007, 03:04 PM
Camelbacks are WAY too overpriced, I use these for hauling my crap around for a week while flying. Very tough, tons of room, and a lot cheaper than a camelback. Oh and by the way the prices shown are too much. I can get 'em for $50.
http://www.pipergear.com/prodview.cfm?catid=2&item=43

While I agree they aint cheap, can your piper gear bag drag a fully gown 180lb man with 50lbs + of gear on him by the strap? My friend was and was amazed..

Truth be told get you what you pay for, right?

I buy stuff to last, whats the worst that pack you bought went through, trips to the airport?

ElkaholicTRD
04-17-2007, 03:42 PM
While I agree they aint cheap, can your piper gear bag drag a fully gown 180lb man with 50lbs + of gear on him by the strap? My friend was and was amazed..

Truth be told get you what you pay for, right?

I buy stuff to last, whats the worst that pack you bought went through, trips to the airport?

Ya I understand what you're saying, I own 3 camelbacks myself. And no I havent put this bag to a huge test, but I have taken it downrange with me to Afghanistan, of course its just on the plane getting tossed around. All I am saying is comparing this bag with my camelback this one feels thicker, straps and handles tougher, thats all. But I do agree with you, camelbacks are great, I just find this a cheaper yet = reliable pack so far.

CJM
04-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Ya I understand what you're saying, I own 3 camelbacks myself. And no I havent put this bag to a huge test, but I have taken it downrange with me to Afghanistan, of course its just on the plane getting tossed around. All I am saying is comparing this bag with my camelback this one feels thicker, straps and handles tougher, thats all. But I do agree with you, camelbacks are great, I just find this a cheaper yet = reliable pack so far.

Which one you got, I got the BFM and I love the thing..plenty of padding and very well built.

ElkaholicTRD
04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Ive got the GO Pack, which Im not too impressed with, My hunting pack which is the Commander, which I absolutley love. And just an older smaller bladder bag with a few pockets. That one you have looks pretty nice.

Good Times
04-18-2007, 12:43 AM
another thumbs up for dakine! personally use the dakine heli-pro since 2000 and have not looked back. i often store two laptops and a few misc stuff all the time and look like a tool going to work in a suit and tie but hey who cares :)

doubles as my primary day pack too!

breknraj
04-19-2007, 08:38 PM
I've had a couple of Jansports for years that I use for general stuff, travel and work. The bigger one used to be my mainstay when I worked on the ski slopes. It carried lunch, water, CD player and speakers, different clothes, in case the weather changed, Sorels, sunscreen, basic meds, ect. I referred to it as the Alternate Life Support System! lol!

I blew the side seams out of the first one I used that way, and sent in in under Jansport's lifetime warranty. They sent me a brand new replacement, that was bigger than the one I had sent them! I still use that one, for well over a dozen years, now!