PDA

View Full Version : WTB: E locker third member

4x4mike
10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm in the process of an axle rebuild and am looking for parts. One is the e locker. I'd like one here on the west coast to save on shipping but can be open to other locations if the price is right. It looks that locally I can get one for about $400.

Does anyone have anything? I'll be traveling from Sacramento to Morro Bay (Pismo area) this weekend so there and anywhere in between would work.

theferg
10-23-2009, 01:14 PM
$400 is a good deal for a working e-locker diff (even better since its local and you don't have to deal with shipping) and screaming deal if that is including the axle assembly.

-Ferg-

4x4mike
10-23-2009, 01:55 PM
There was an axle assembly on Craigslist last week for $700 but I don't need any of that. I've seen the 3rd's for $300 so I'm waiting.

corax
10-23-2009, 02:04 PM
$400 is a good deal for a working e-locker diff (even better since its local and you don't have to deal with shipping) and screaming deal if that is including the axle assembly.

-Ferg-

I got a housing + elocker recently for $200, but I bent the housing's mating surface trying to get the elocker out of it (one of the long studs was frozen in the pumpkin and I had to pull it out of the housing :hillbill:)

slosurfer
10-23-2009, 06:50 PM
I'll be traveling from Sacramento to Morro Bay (Pismo area) this weekend so there and anywhere in between would work.

Are you going to be here this weekend? You guys staying in Cayucos?

4x4mike
10-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Had a great weekend down there, sorry we couldn't hook up Chris. I'm pretty sure we were right in your backyard. We visited the Elffin forest and on the way there it looks like we were in your neighborhood (based on your vision x pics). Took some poser pics of the baby jogger in the little forest.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e13/mezamichael82/MISC/1024091550.jpg

slosurfer
10-27-2009, 06:00 PM
:laugh: Dude, I'm a block and a half from the elfin forest! :flipoff: :(

No worries, we'll get together next time you're down here. :thumbup:

4x4mike
11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
So I may have found an e locker locally and need some opinions. I've chatted with a few regarding the issue but still have some reserves.
The locker is local and the guy selling it got it in trade from a buddy. The buddy was doing a 1 ton conversion on his 4runner and the seller was helping him and got it as payment. Anyways, it's out of the vehicle and by itself, in good condition, worked when it came out and has my gears (4.10). I have yet to see it and the guy doesn't have any pictures so I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

I wasn't expecting to find a 3rd member with my gearing so I was expecting to have to do a gear swap and while I was at it a rebuild (bearings and such). Now that I have found this I'm at a fork in the road. I'm not in a hurry to finish the swap (thanks Bob) and don't want to spend unnecessary money so what should I do. Run it or re build it. I'm going to assume this is like buying a 3rd from the junkyard where you don't know the year or mileage. Any good way to check the bearings since it's out?

Seanz0rz
11-10-2009, 07:25 PM
id plop some gear setup paint on the teeth, make sure the contact pattern is still OK.

id check for any play, etc.

at least its a starting point.

4x4mike
11-10-2009, 10:22 PM
OK. I talked with him some more and he said it's from an '01 Tacoma but doesn't know the mileage. He is one of those make an offer kind of guys so we'll see.

Robinhood4x4
11-11-2009, 05:50 AM
If it's the stock setup and never been apart then I'm sure it's fine. Just as long as it's been kept out of the rain and it feels smooth when you turn the pinion.

4x4mike
11-11-2009, 08:34 AM
I figured as much. I just don't want to get everything converted and installed and then find it has a problem. As it is I'm building up this axle on my work bench and the 4runner will be down for a short while. I'd hate to have a whiny bearing or something.