PDA

View Full Version : My Blaster build

callmej75
10-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Well I finally decided to make her more stable...and twice as much + power. I bought a kit from a guy with carb, piston, cylinder and ported head that makes 36 hp used in conjunction with a 3mm stroker crank, which i now have and am having to clearance for it. I got the Banshee rear axle, that increases my width by approx. 3.5", so 1.25" on both sides. I got a 3" extended swingarm, and 400EX shock on the rear to help with jumps and overall handling.

The cylinder (jug) that I bought, is bored .070, the carb is a 35mm PWK Keihin Airstriker, Vito's 3mm stroker crank, Wiseco bearings and piston, and got an aluminum airbox to use with the bigger carb. I got to cut the old plastic airbox out of the fenders to accomodate this.

Ok...here's pics...I'll stop blabbing for now :flipoff:

Before...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8557.jpg

Without the Banshee axle

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/3k13m33p6ZZZZZZZZZ978cdf0b19f58fc14.jpg

With the Banshee axle

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8577-1.jpg

She is naked...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8630.jpg

With the 3" extended swingarm and new tires and rims on the back

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8648.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8647.jpg

Engine coming apart..

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8644.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8678.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8656.jpg

Trans test fitting

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8682.jpg

Testing the gears

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8716.jpg

The jug, head, vforce 2 reeds, and 35mm Keihin awaiting to be assembled on the case when i get it done. I am putting all new allen head bolts back in it instead of those cheap phillips heads that strip all the time

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8718.jpg

It's a work in progress...but I have all the stuff for it to go back together.

To be continued...

YotaFun
10-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Great....

Gonna kill yourself and the rest of us J?

LMAO!!!
looking sweet dude!
Hopefully I will be getting down there soon,
If not soon, at least around Christmas time (thats just too far away though...)

Def lovin the new stance in the front

callmej75
10-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Well if you came down then you would definitely be helping me get this back together! I had to grind the case a little for the stroker crank, but other than that, everything is bolt on. Well with the exception of cutting the old airbox out of the fenders and bolting the new one up.

It's gonna make around 38-40hp. Stock Banshee puts out 36-40 if that tells you anything...

I got the dyno sheet to prove it as well...so it's all tested and true. A little later on I will go with a big bore, and that will bump it up to a 240cc. That would call for extended a-arms for more stabilization.

Oh...forgot to add...I changed the gearing in the back from a 40 tooth strocket to a 44 tooth, and then I purchased the stroker crank, so I may be going back to stock 40 tooth gearing in the back if all it wants to do is wheelie every time I change gears. Then I'll add the 14 tooth sprocket up front for more top end power.

Still gotta get an extended chain...or get another masterlink and extend the one I got now. I just don't like the idea of running 2 masterlinks. Not with that much power in that little thing..

Also...with the addition of this Toomey pipe and silencer...it should be good throughout the whole powerband. So getting up to speed and staying there will be NO problem

CJM
10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Looks like alot of fun, im working on fixing my junk shortly.

Whitey
10-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Loos like fun.

Are you still doing the powdercoating thing?

waskillywabbit
10-26-2009, 04:16 PM
I pray you don't hurt yourself on that thing. Old folks don't bounce like they once did. :D

:guitar:

YotaFun
10-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Damn J,
Sweet Deal.

And you know it dude, I was down there I would be kissing baby Salisa hi, giving Katy and hug and then heading straight to that thing to get it all together!

So what ca gonna get for Katy now lol!!!

callmej75
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Looks like alot of fun, im working on fixing my junk shortly.

Yeh you need to load it up and follow Avy down and lets get it going!

callmej75
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Loos like fun.

Are you still doing the powdercoating thing?

This is a time when I wish I had my oven up....I just had to rattle can my swingarm a candy blue transparent with silver sparkle under that...I hate wet painting! Never looks better than powder...to me anyways

callmej75
10-26-2009, 06:25 PM
I pray you don't hurt yourself on that thing. Old folks don't bounce like they once did. :D

:guitar:

Ya know...I'll say it again...I am the only person who didn't wreck it...yet! I respect power sometimes...and don't go overboard...but this thing would kick some butt on a dirt track with some jumps. Not much on trailriding...I experienced a really light front end coming up rocky hills. I like flat track racing tho...maybe a light ride thru the hills but 2 strokes weren't meant to go light on so that's really out of the question.

The better reeds oughta make the throttle a little more subtle, but crisp than the old stock reeds. It will have the power to get up and go if you hit the gas...but once I am done with this, I will step up to the Banshee.

I know all about the getting old...gotta go on the 11th of next month to get some injections in my spine to try and heal 4 bulging discs, and the doc told me i have my family disease which my spine degenerates over time, and i have narrowing of my spine as well inside where the nerves are. So yeh...i know all about the getting old thing!

Who knows, i may keep this and teach my boy how to ride it...but something tells me that the girls will want to when they get older! Then get them into racing one day maybe...I'll build em', they race em'! Just gotta test drive them first...LOL

callmej75
10-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Damn J,
Sweet Deal.

And you know it dude, I was down there I would be kissing baby Salisa hi, giving Katy and hug and then heading straight to that thing to get it all together!

So what ca gonna get for Katy now lol!!!

Katy gets a lawnmower...I'll keep her away from the weedeaters! LOL

Nah I may get her another Blaster, but make it more stable and maybe put some better reeds in it...and that will be ALL for hers! Oh....and a beefy grab bar because she likes bending those..

YotaFun
10-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Ya know...I'll say it again...I am the only person who didn't wreck it...yet!

EXCUSE ME!!!!
THATS NOT ENTIRELY TRUE!!!!
I HAVEN'T WRECKED EITHER!!!

LMAO!!!!

Yeah another blaster would be cool

callmej75
10-26-2009, 06:48 PM

EXCUSE ME!!!!

LMAO!!!!

Not much wrecking you could do when you were too scared to ride it...LOL

CJM
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM

Working on it, atm saving for a tundra :)

Gotta do a clutch cable, carb tune (i cant get it right), maybe new exhaust, steering stem (or fix mine and brace it., handlebars and brakepads for my 400Ex and I gotta rebuild my suzuki 230 sport. Otherwise im rolling on down. Probably late spring assuming I get a truck, or Avy tows them down on a trailer lol.

HAH!

Btw, ya'll wear brain buckets when riding? I know it sounds insane but I prefer without.

callmej75
10-26-2009, 07:32 PM

Working on it, atm saving for a tundra :)

Gotta do a clutch cable, carb tune (i cant get it right), maybe new exhaust, steering stem, handlebars and brakepads for my 400Ex and I gotta rebuild my suzuki 230 sport. Otherwise im rolling on down. Probably late spring assuming I get a truck, or Avy tows them down on a trailer lol.

Oh I've been studying up, and playing with tuning my carb. I know when it's lean, or too rich. I know pretty much what to mess with and what to leave...so I am confident we can build you something capable!

I'll put my little 200 against that 400EX once I get mine all tuned up... :tongueout:

YotaFun
10-26-2009, 07:34 PM

EXCUSE ME!!!!

LMAO!!!!

HEY HEY HEY!!!
I just respect the power!! ooo yeah lol

callmej75
10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
I haven't been wearing a helmet....prefer without...but with this new engine going in I may have to just to be safe!

My head is hard but not hard enough at 65+ mph...if I can hold it on the road that fast without extended a-arms

callmej75
10-26-2009, 07:37 PM

Well it's gonna have twice the power...they came out of the factory with only 15-16hp...this is going to be pushing 36 I know of that is dyno on paper...then with the addition of the new airbox and tuned up with a colder plug, and timing advanced....yeh...40 at least!

EXCUSE ME!!!!

LMAO!!!!

HEY HEY HEY!!!
I just respect the power!! ooo yeah lol

callmej75
10-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Here is a pic of the airbox going in..

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8769.jpg

a closer look at the reed cage, carb, and carb spacer

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8771.jpg

callmej75
10-26-2009, 07:46 PM
The guy that sent me the top end with carb, forgot to put the cable adjuster in with the carb. So I contacted him and he is sending me one...it attaches to the top of the cap if anyone is wondering

CJM
10-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Well atm the carb wont tune i need to rebuild and it sadly like all newer hondas the carb is muy complicated!

But yea idk about pitting us together. Those 2 strokes got all power all the time, but damn does it suck to rebuild them alot. Thats why i went 4 stroke, that and all the banshees were super expensive and there is no other 2 stroke worth it imho. Blasters cool to mess with, but a real power quad is killer.

While were on the topic, I myself prefer flat out racing or GNCC rather than jumps, had one to many accidents attempting stuff lol.

callmej75
10-26-2009, 07:57 PM
What kind of carb do you have? If you get a carb rebuild kit, i will help ya rebuild it. I can get the diagrams to it if you don't have any.

yeh a Banshee is what i want...i talked to a guy that does porting services for them all the time, and he said he can get 120hp out of one easily...that's SCARY!

Well i can say I have one thing on mine that is honda...the rear shock! Blasters came out with a crappy rear shock...

CJM
10-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Its a stock carb, it probably needs to be rebuilt as i get popping on decel. Its lean and no adjustment is helping. Also it refuses to run unless I set the idle super high. So yea, more work.

What I should do is get a new exhaust cause the one on there the idiot kid screwed the brace onto the exhaust. New full exhaust is spendy...

Building any quad can get really spendy tho, ive seen and rode on quads that had THOUSANDS of dollars of work done to them. Heck they werent stock pretty much at all anymore, i dont understand it honestly. 120hp out of a quad is downright scary. Stock EX has like 30 or so, more than enough for me since its light.

callmej75
10-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Sounds like your jets need a good cleaning...then reinstalled to the factory setting of however many turns from all the way in...say for example they say that a stock blaster Mikuni's pilot (air) setting is 1 1/2 turns from screwed all the way in. This info you can find on a good Honda forum. They usually have full manuals you can download on there for free, as i did and printed it out and got me a binder and now I have a full service manual from teardown to assembly. Torque specs and the whole 9...

You can also find guys getting rid of their exhausts for pretty cheap on forums too. One thing about a good exhaust, and I'm not sure about 4 strokes, but you gotta go up in jetting on the main jet if you get a better exhaust. It is night and day on the exhaust tho. When i got my Toomey kit, it came with the main jet and air filter element for it. I got mine brand new for a little over $300. Yeh...expensive...but wow at the top end power! Of course they supplied the air jet recommended setting for this combo as well. I was running a little rich tho with the main jet supplied, but you gotta play with it some and check the forums.

Right now I got like $600 in my total rebuild. this is not including the new exhaust, swingarm, and new tires and rims. I am well over $2,000 in mine, but it will run awesome and be much more stable. With a little research, there is a wealth of info on these things on some forums. Without the current forum that I am a member of atm, I would be lost on as to what to do to this thing. I messed with 4 strokes all my life until now. There is no cam, valves, or that stuff in these motors. The head basically consists of a chunk of metal with a hole in the top for the spark plug. Pretty straightforward.

I can agree with you tho...rebuilds are inevitable after a good season of riding straight thru. This rebuild should last me about 2+ years if not more. Depends on how hard I get on it when riding.

CJM
10-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Thats exactly the issue with the exhaust and why i havent fixed the carb yet. A good non slip on will require rejetting. I need to buy a good exhaust as I have one no longer being made right now thats a nice true dual! Sadly I did try using muffler putty on the holes but imho it is only a temp fix if anything. New exhaust I want is about 400 bones, much more interested in saving my cash as during the winter I can rebuild. Probably gonna work on the jetting then, cant wait for another tue dual exhaust and ill sell my current one off for 50 bucks to whatever idiot wants it, someone might want the pipe for parts or something.

As for your rebuilding, its gotta be done since the oil mixes with the gas. IDK what kinda better oil you would use in a 2 stroke since its gotta be mixed. I currently use mobil 1 or shell rotella conventional in my 4 strokes.

callmej75
10-27-2009, 03:52 PM
I just ordered some Klotz Synthetic for the trans yesterday, and usually run amsoil 2 stroke racing oil. I was using the auto injection of the oil, but I heard the pumps fail sometimes, and that's catastrophic. So I bought a block off kit, took the pump out, and am gonna either run 32:1 or 40:1 when i mix it and run it during and after engine break in.

i just saw a 400ex today with duals off a forum. Check around...instead of buying new, you can find a used one fairly cheap. I found my pipe on CL after i bought it for half of what i paid for it. That's the only thing I am using that i bought with that kit. The air filter and main jet are useless. I'll probably put everything up for sale once the build is done so I can recoup some of the money. But yeh...I could find you a fairly priced set of pipes. If you want, i could check on the forum and see if anyone has a good set of pipes for sale? Changing the main jets aren't hard at all. Took me all of maybe an hour to change the jets, the pipes, and filter element.

CJM
10-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the advice.

Right now the duals work like this: both go together and run like motorcycle pipes usually do alongside eachother, then dump into the exhaust.

I bet once I fix the exhaust and rebuild the carb it will be fine.

Good call on amsoil and the syn trans fluid. As for the block off, very good idea, ive seen a few older quads get ruined due to the mixer pump failing.

Hey, its only money and in due time it will be done. Got all winter to do it, thinking on it I might powdercoat the muffler or pipes if you think its really worth it and wont wear/flake off after heavy use. Kinda want to trick the quad out a bit and make it less stock, right now all its got is some lousy offset rear wheels (I hate them cause it makes it tippy) and the kid I bought it off of cut the front plastics back all ugly.

callmej75
10-27-2009, 06:57 PM
I just googled that exhaust...wow over $700 for new dual exhaust! That's nuts...

You could go with a high temp powder on the exhaust...and it would actually help the resistance to corrosion, but over a period of a few years I figure it would degrade some. I haven't saw any actual evidence of it doing that, so don't mark my words on that. they have to be sandblasted well and prepped very well in order for it to stick and not flake off over time. If you could find a good used set and coat them to make them look good, then i would go that route. Screw paying over $700 for about 4-6hp gain! That's just crazy.

Another reason why i like the 2 strokes. Like a Chevy, easy to fix, inexpensive, and you know the parts are a dime a dozen!

What kind of carb and size do you have on the quad now? Have you checked on rebuild kits for the carb?

Here is a diagram to the carb

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-atv-trx400ex-fourtrax-ex-2000-carburetor/o/m2657sch96828

CJM
10-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the carb diagram. Have you found a service manual for your blaster yet? I got one for free for the EX. I love the net sometimes.

probably gonna do a fatboy 4 exhaust from duncan or a DMC. dunno yet tho. Probably used tho.

ETA: Gonna most likely buy a stock pipe and slip on off ebay. Yea the gains can be nice from the full exhaust but in reality your not gonna get much better than the stock pipe. Trust me the thing has enough power, I was following a modified older CR250 that was bored out quite a bit and yea he had more power but i was keeping up ok.

callmej75
10-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeh i downloaded the manual, and printed it out at work and bought a binder from walmart and I have a full manual!

It seems the hp gains you get from the pipe isn't much...I'd do what you said and call it a day. Maybe one of these days you could save up some money and afford the full exhaust.

I figure my next rebuild will be a 240 big bore, then bore that out to a 250cc. That will push me clearly over the 40hp range, maybe somewhere close to the 50hp is what i'm thinking.

The possibilities...

CJM
10-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Once you get so high its kinda relative as the blaster is (at least for me) to small really. The EX, Zuk, Banshee, Raptor, Warrior and KFX are more my size. My Zuk 230 is just about the smallest I feel comfy on.

callmej75
10-28-2009, 04:14 AM
The Blaster is kinda small...for two people anyways. I wanted something bigger, but this was within my budget with plenty of power, so we snapped it up. Its small enough to play around on, but still too much power to neglect as it will give you some serious road rash

CJM
10-28-2009, 04:49 PM
^Yea they all give you serious road rash man and it aint fun!

callmej75
10-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Well I found out last night, after some info on the blaster forum i frequent, that the bolt in the swingarm that i got from Ebay didn't work 2 times for another guy. So I tried mine and sure enough, mine doesn't fit neither. The guys jig, or welding is off a touch. So I am sending it back and getting another, and once it is fine, I will get my stock one extended and coat it and use it because I've heard the welds break after jumping with the Ebay swingarm, from multiple people. This puts me out for another month or so.

CJM
10-29-2009, 02:14 PM
That stinks, but what do you expect from ebay stuff unless its brand name.

callmej75
10-29-2009, 04:45 PM
That stinks, but what do you expect from ebay stuff unless its brand name.

This is very true....there is no "cheap" way out of things no more. I just paid $200 for it tho. Thats not too cheap....but a brand name one is twice that cost. I am just having a guy extend my stock one.

CJM
10-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Ouch, thats still spendy. I left my swingarm alone-usually they SUCK to get off. Probably gonna be doing alot to my EX. Gonna do 450R shocks up front, new cluch cable, new clutch and brake from ASV, brakes all the way around, different rims and tires on the back (18's make it way to low im thinking 20's and the stupid offset rims i hate as they make it tippy), then I gotta do the carb, etc, etc.

The Zuk 230 just needs 2 engines made into one and im done, everyting else although old and beat up is servicable.

callmej75
10-29-2009, 06:01 PM
The 400Ex's look pretty decent as far as the swingarm length goes. Really soft and jumpable ( is that a word?) rear shock. There's not much mods you need to do besides tires and rims, and maybe a few engine mods here and there.

My problem was it not being wide enough, tipping when doing donuts in mud is bad, and takeoffs were crappy due to the short wheelbase, thus me wanting a longer swingarm. If I wanna wheelie it, then I want one just big enough to wheelie when provoked, but keep my front end down on launches and slow hillclimbs.

I wish we lived nearby each other. i would come up and help you get in gear, and you help me with patience in assembling, and work as a team!

I just found the swingarm I want. I may save for this one instead.

http://www.metaltechproducts.com/Yamaha_Swingarm.htm

Scroll down to the blaster swingarm. Chain adjusting is a breeze with the round style carrier attached. I need like 3 different size wrenches, and one socket to adjust mine with the factory swingarm.

All in all, I shoulda thought this out more on the swingarm and saved for the one I wanted. Oh well...that's life....live and get screwed, then learn :tongueout:

CJM
10-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Yea shame your so far away :( if'n i keep my current job for awhile longer I have weekends off period so once spring hits and my quads are ready i invited Avy to join me at rausch creek atv park. We could easily come to you assuming we borrow or find a trail big enough if we take his 4Runner. If I can get the Tundra in the next 3-6 mo then I could just use his trailer as it will fit the smaller atv. We shall see, but assuming everything works out I will be down sometime sooner than later I hope. Some places to ride around me, but nothing special.

The 400ex is a wheelie machine, I have a hard time not wheeling it and I honestly dont like that feeling to much as it almost has to much power compared to my 230 I was never into the super duper jumps and wheelies all over the place-racing around a track or something is more my style as ive crashed one to many times lol. Generally no issues with the EX suspension, it handles nice but the front shocks are worn out, it is an 00 or 99 i forget atm. the rear swing arms also quite good imho, i just need the larger wheels as its to low.

That swingarm is $$$ man, wow. I wonder if you could find a used one for a decent price or maybe plate your ebay one?

callmej75
10-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Yea shame your so far away :( if'n i keep my current job for awhile longer I have weekends off period so once spring hits and my quads are ready i invited Avy to join me at rausch creek atv park. We could easily come to you assuming we borrow or find a trail big enough if we take his 4Runner. If I can get the Tundra in the next 3-6 mo then I could just use his trailer as it will fit the smaller atv. We shall see, but assuming everything works out I will be down sometime sooner than later I hope. Some places to ride around me, but nothing special.

The 400ex is a wheelie machine, I have a hard time not wheeling it and I honestly dont like that feeling to much as it almost has to much power compared to my 230 I was never into the super duper jumps and wheelies all over the place-racing around a track or something is more my style as ive crashed one to many times lol. Generally no issues with the EX suspension, it handles nice but the front shocks are worn out, it is an 00 or 99 i forget atm. the rear swing arms also quite good imho, i just need the larger wheels as its to low.

That swingarm is $$$ man, wow. I wonder if you could find a used one for a decent price or maybe plate your ebay one?

I thought about gusseting the ebay one, but if you look at the one off that site, the tubes going thru the swingarm, are all the way through it, and welded on the outside. Whereas the stock swingers and the ebay one i got, is just welded to the outside of the metal where it meets it at. To me, that and plus gussets make it a stronger swingarm and the ease of chain adjustment with the round carrier, make it unbeatable. Check out the other round style carriers from lonestar racing and what not...that's over 700 bones. That's too much...but if my big arse is gonna be jumping it, I need something that will hold up to the hard landings. The suspension with the EX shock will absorb alot of the impact. It also has the mounted rezzie on it.

If it's gonna be out of commission for a bit and I take my time on the motor while I wait for the swingarm, so be it. I just don't want that crap from ebay breaking on me after a few jumps. A guy that responded to my thread last night, said he had 2 break, and one with the holes not lining up like mine did last night. I believe if the guy sends me one back, I will either sell it, or gusset it and post it back on ebay and get me a round style carrier. Just avoid the headaches altogether. It will take about 2 months of saving, but I'll get it.

Speaking of places to ride...our new babysitter's husband has bikes and a 4 wheeler for his kids and has a place to ride around here. Not to mention I got that other friend with the 150 acres. If I get a bug up my butt...I may take off to WV and I know places there to ride all day long and not hit every trail twice.

If you and Avy could load up....we would be happy to have you guys over and stay here and we could ride different places for a whole weekend.

We just gotta get Avy a scooter or something with a motocross helmet so he doesn't feel left out... :rofl:

CJM
10-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Yea, thats def the way to go with the swingarm man. Guessting an already weak swingarm isnt worth it really. I say reselling or keeping it tucked away as a just incase maybe worth it-but selling its better.I have seen lonestars and such and you aint lying they are $$$$ Shoot you think 700's bad ive seen them for up to 1200 depending on what model and where ya buy it from!

Riding sounds awesome, could go for an entire weekend with ease soon as I fix my junk. My brother finally got a job so the Zuk will be fixed soon (hes paying for all parts) and we should have it up and running I hope, the old motor ran out of oil b/c usually like all the 230s the crankcase bolts snap off or get screwed up and not put back in. Plus the thing needed a rebuild, was burning about a quarter of a qt every 3-5 rides. I lent it to a friend and forgot the oil level was low and it threw the rod and piston. I have a newer motor thats like 3/4 of one i got cheap im gonna have to take the old parts and the new parts and play Dr Frankenstein here. Thought abot boring it, but its pretty powerfull as is imho.

I know Avy really wanted to load up and go when we last talked about it. We can find an old minibike for him lol.

callmej75
10-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Every time I think of Avy and a little bike, I picture that movie dumb and dumber with Jim Carrey....LMAO SORRY AVY!

Yeh Lonestar has a good rep...but you gotta have a golden wallet for that.

Building these motors isn't all that hard...not much to them compared to a vehicle engine. I know what you mean about the DR Franky thing..I got a new set of Boyesen Pro Series reeds for my stock cage sitting right now because I got the Vforce 2 cage with that kit. I believe when we get Katy a Blaster....I'll swap them out in hers to make the throttle better, then proceed to widening it with another banshee axle and new tires and wheels.

Consider changing out the case bolts with allen head bolts. The kits aren't that much, and it sure beats the hell out of them old stripped out philips head bolts they use from the factory! Much stronger tensile strength too.

CJM
10-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Yea, ive got a nice shop I found online the specializes in zuk 230 parts. I shoulda bought a warrior or something tho, cause the 230 is so dated its hard to find parts.

callmej75
10-29-2009, 07:06 PM
Yeh...I was just thinking that.

Yamaha is SO easy to find parts for.

CJM
10-29-2009, 07:12 PM
I took what I could at the time, for 500 it was def the right price since it had all new plastics and was in relatively good shape for the time.

Yamaha and Honda are always easy to find parts for, Zuki is harder.

CJM
10-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Well I won the exhaust header for 27+20 shipped which isnt to bad imho. 50 bucks for a stock header and its basically brand new-said it had like 10 hours on it.

callmej75
10-31-2009, 04:31 PM
good deal man! I got my bottom end together...and blasted with glass bead to bring back the factory silver on the cases

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8793.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8794.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8795.jpg

Made sure it would shift first

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8785.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8786.jpg

Test fit

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_8788.jpg

Then I put the sealant on the cases and pulled it together!

CJM
10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Looks nice J, having a bead blaster must be nice :)

callmej75
10-31-2009, 04:44 PM
It comes in handy sometimes! It's a cheap harbor freight one...I modified the gun in it and hoses and lights and...well you get the picture!

CJM
10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Yea, hey for what it is it works huh?

I been wanting one of those but need a compressor to run it.

callmej75
11-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Let's jump ahead...jug and head blasted and high temp clear coated...ain't she purty!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9204.jpg

YotaFun
11-23-2009, 07:58 PM
wow this project is actually coming together lol!!!

callmej75
11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
wow this project is actually coming together lol!!!

Shut your pie hole Avy....LOL

Yeh have had ALOT of distractions lately. I always work in pairs...only AVY knows what I am saying there!

CJM
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I just got some nice shocks, working on getting a parts list for the other one and then some misc parts for mine.

By spring hopefully.

CJM
12-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Building is slow but going on:
-new shocks
-new steering stem (mines bent)
-some preventative bearings for the stem
-finalizing new rear tires
-trying to decide on new exhaust, got the header at least.

And just the carb needs to be worked over cause I cant figure it out.

callmej75
12-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Good job Marc! Got things moving I see..

And she is down to the bare frame..

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9344.jpg

Had to polish up a few things on the waiting process of things..

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9371.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9366.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9374.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9376.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9367.jpg

callmej75
12-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Thought I'd try my hand at extending the swinger. Had the old ebay junk lying around so I decided to hack it up and weld it to the stock one. I hate flux core

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9433.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9434.jpg

I'm going with the round carrier to weld up to it....still gotta figure out some measuring issues on how to attach the housing to the swinger since it's so wide and the housing is about 1/2" smaller in width. This is what I'm going with

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/web3small.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/Blue_Carrier_Arm_small.jpg

CJM
12-29-2009, 12:09 PM
ohhh soo shiny and pretty J! Extending the swing arm looks good, should fit together nice. By the time your done your blaster will pretty much be a banshee!

I rang into a recent snag: Tried to remove the steering stem bearing and it was so dirty that I didnt see the snap ring that holds it in there. So thus I began to pound the bearing out and it didnt go to well. I basically DESTROYED the old bearing.

I finally got the snap ring out by using a dremel to cut it in a few places. Frame doesnt seem to be damaged but idk and heres why: got a new bearing and it plain wont go in properly. Now I coulda gotten the wrong bearing, IDK since its one off ebay and claims to work on various bikes.

But, I pound the bearing in and it wont go in properly. It needs to go down another 1/4 of an inch and it just wont do it. It sits flush with the frame now. Only thing I can think figure out is there is some kinda flange preventing it or like I said wrong bearing...

So i ordered a bearing off bikebandit and am waiting for it. If it wont fit either I have a problem. Either I figure out why and relieve the flange area which I may have messed up OR I find a used frame and transfer my gear on or I cut out that part and weld on one off another frame.. Course I can always take it to the dealer and see what they say. I need the carb work done anyways.

Something so simple is a PITA now.. Worst part is I have the factory manual, it barely describes how to remove the bearing too.

Waiting to buy new exhaust, some new rear wheels and tires, got my clutch cable and need to put it on, found some factory bars Im gonna try out cause mine are WAY low. And thats about it really, hopefully done by march lol.. Other quad I need to get the engine parts for and rebuild the engine..so by march/april for that too.

callmej75
12-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Get a pic of the bearing. If it looks like a crank bearing or similar, you can freeze it over night and the next day slip it right down where it needs to go. Thats how I got my crank bearings in.

CJM
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
I dont have a pic handy, but was thinking of the freeze method. TBH tho it just doesnt make sense why it wont go any further at all and seems to begetting hungup on the flange.

When the new one comes im gonna put it in the freezer and give it a go.

callmej75
12-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Sounds good...

CJM
12-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Yea, we shall see.

Hopefully it works, cause the thought of possibly having to do what I outlined int he other post with the frame isnt a happy one.

callmej75
12-29-2009, 01:18 PM
LOL....yeh this is true. I am cutting off brackets not necessary for certain things I took off and eliminated, and re-welding those tabs where i am mounting aftermarket stuff. Sometimes ya gotta refab it up!

CJM
12-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Yea, but finding a frame for just that part so har has been challenging. 400ex frames are known to be weak if you jump and beat/race them alot and need reinforcement on some key welds. So Im hoping if it comes down to it ill find a wrecked frame for 100 bucks and get that part.

callmej75
12-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Gotta baby them Honda's sometimes...LOL

CJM
12-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Yea lol..

I wanted a warrior but an extra 50cc and the reliable honda motor as well as the handling is why I bought one. Warrior is nice but its not been changed in over 10 years and the 400 can run circles around it.

callmej75
12-29-2009, 01:56 PM
I know once my Blaster is done, i will kill 400's and 450's. I've heard alot of guys having less than what i got and still running with them. Light stuff and peppy motors make for an entirely different beast!

CJM
12-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Yea a 2 stroke usually walks all over a 4 stroke, but the required maintenance is what kept me away. I dont feel like breaking it down like every 6 months or so of riding either.

My friend had an 80's CR250 that was bored out with a new jug to at least 280cc or more. Talk about power! I could keep up usually on trails, bit forget straight line. 400cc is more than enough for me tbh lol.

callmej75
01-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Well I believe this weekend the PC oven is going back up. With the help of Philip, we should have it going by Saturday night hopefully. in the meantime, we are getting equipment together to build custom round style carrier swingarms for the Yamaha Blaster. We will see how that turns out...

Sending my clutch cover off to a guy that is putting a see thru window in it for me, and when i get the magneto cover, he is doing the same thing. I can't wait til summer...this is going to be sweet!

CJM
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Im hoping by summer I have 2 workable quads. They wont be insane 2 stroke riders, but I like the reliability of the 4 stroke no reeds to change lol.

Just got done finding that frame piece and paying for it. 40 bucks isnt bad, now I just gotta remove the other one and weld this one on.My grandfather is a retired tool and die maker and is gonna come in the next week or so and see if we cant fix mine, seems to think I created a lip/ridge in the housing.

Now, if my new stock handlebars would come I would be happy. Then its new exhaust, carb tune and valve adjustment, then a timing key to gain some more power and misc other parts. Ill have 3k into it when im done including buying it for 1900. Now if I had left the dang bearing alone I woulda been almost done.

callmej75
01-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Good deal!

Me and philip are putting up the oven this weekend so the powder coating will hopefully be done by weekend after next. This Blaster is gonna be totally reworked!

Avy...it won't be the same machine when you see it again! It will look and feel like a totally new animal! Hydro brakes for the back are on their way. Just the front hydros, 03+ hood, and some odds and ends to dress it up and she will be brand new! I'd say another $500 and she will be on her way to being assembled again. I can't wait...

CJM
01-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I wonder how your extended swingarms gonna handle? With all the work your doing it sounds to me like what you will wind up with motor wise is equal to a 250 probably.

I just got a 300 dollar paid vacation check from my boss and got 2 more checks coming (im behind in pay, its a LONG story) and working on paying off other bills, saving for a new truck (ford diesel or tundra-its becoming hard to choose!) ill have my quads ready by mid to late spring :) I cant wait.

callmej75
01-05-2010, 06:02 PM
It will run stronger than a 400..at 7-10 more horsepower and lighter.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_horsepower_does_a_stock_Honda_400EX_have

It's gonna be a scary 1st ride!

CJM
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Jesus.. Scary ride aint the word there...more like frightening!

Oh and FWIW 400ex got more like 29-30hp, add on some gear and it makes more. When Im finished I hope to be around 33-35 or so. My friends CR 250 was bored to a 280 and I could run with him and he rides WOT always, I wasnt as fast but I wasnt shifting like a mofo like him as he maxed each gear quickly. It wont walk all over your quad, but at least I can keep up. The other one, well that little 230 zuk can keep up kinda, but its nice to learn on Avy.

callmej75
01-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Well come down and test ride mine anytime after it's done. See if you could feel the difference...

I just found a great swingarm design!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_0187.jpg

CJM
01-05-2010, 06:22 PM
So what you gonna do with your custom one lol?

Ill ride it, probably gonna be scary for me to. Wheelie machine Im thinking..

What size rear tires you gonna plan on running? 18, 20, 21, 22? Im going with 20's, got 18s now and its dang quick but its to low.

callmej75
01-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I am extending the swingarm...maybe 3" max. This will reduce the wheelies, just when you provoke it, then you will wheelie hard! The swingarm i'm making...I'll probably finish it with the old carrier connections welded back up to it, powder coat it, and sell it.

I am running 20's in the rear. Gonna run 21's up front to make it look somewhat even. Maybe even go as low as 20's all the way around. Not sure yet..

CJM
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a plan, so that offer still stands right? I'll drag Avy with me lol..

YotaFun
01-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a plan, so that offer still stands right? I'll drag Avy with me lol..

It's more like me dragging you

CJM
01-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Yea, I just need to fix the dang things. It seems most things I own need to be fixed..I just cant win.

YotaFun
01-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Yea, I just need to fix the dang things. It seems most things I own need to be fixed..I just cant win.

uh thats everyone

CJM
01-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Yea I guess soo..

callmej75
01-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Well I'm finishing up the swingarm that I originally started on, tonight, and welding the factory ears back on it. then I'm gonna strip it and PC it after this weekend and maybe run it til I get me a tube swingarm built.

Got my Banshee rear hydraulic brakes in last night too. Gotta sort thru all the calipers and what not and make a good working hydro unit. I got like 6 calipers, resorvoirs, and one brake pedal. Bunch of lines too. I will rework these calipers and fab up a bracket to hold the unit in place.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9445.jpg

YotaFun
01-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Well I'm finishing up the swingarm that I originally started on, tonight, and welding the factory ears back on it. then I'm gonna strip it and PC it after this weekend and maybe run it til I get me a tube swingarm built.

Got my Banshee rear hydraulic brakes in last night too. Gotta sort thru all the calipers and what not and make a good working hydro unit. I got like 6 calipers, resorvoirs, and one brake pedal. Bunch of lines too. I will rework these calipers and fab up a bracket to hold the unit in place.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a128/callmej75/Blaster/IMG_9445.jpg

When I get down at the end of the month I will look at that brake stuff, should have a few good pieces to make a banging brake system out of it

callmej75
01-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Oh really? I definitely need pads for them...

YotaFun
01-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I will keep an eye out for pads
I remember while I was out in Cali, the LC is was working on had believe it or not but a blaster manual brake, and i have to find the site that had decent priced pads for them

CJM
01-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Awesome looking bunch of gear, should work well.

callmej75
01-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Thanks Marc! After this weekend, I'm gonna look at the brakes and clean them up for coating and have them looking new!

CJM
01-08-2010, 01:43 PM
Quite welcome.

I just got my replacement piece of frame, im hoping I dont have to use it but we shall see.