PDA

View Full Version : 4 Lo won't engage

rando6289
11-02-2009, 06:50 AM
'03 4runner V8 SE

full time 4wd

for some reason the indicator light will not come on the dash when i switch it into 4Lo. everything is plugged up behind the switch. not sure why it won't engage. could it be the light is burnt out? is there another way to tell?

Scuba
11-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Not trying to state the obivous or call you dumb. But you did shift the trans into neutral before shifting into 4, Right ?

rando6289
11-02-2009, 09:48 AM
yes. i always shift it into neutral, and nothing happens. no lights no nothing. i even let it roll just a little in case maybe it was in a bind and then shift it but still nothing.

Good Times
11-02-2009, 02:01 PM
if you don't successfully get into 4lo then you'd hear lots of beeping. if you don't hear the beeping then you must be engaging the 4lo w/o the dash light turning on.

the easiest way to know if you're in 4lo is if you're suddenly driving 100x (over-exaggerating) slower and your rpm sky rockets.

if you're still not in 4lo, I'd check the fuses in your fuse box to make sure none of the fuses are burnt out.

rando6289
11-10-2009, 09:40 AM
i checked the 4wd fuse(20) under the dash but it looked fine and when tested for continuity was good also. Is this something I am going to have to take to a Toyota Dealer? One of those Genesis computer readers wouldn't be able to scan it would it?

-really want to get this fixed ASAP!

Good Times
11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Have you thrown your truck on jack stands to inspect whether or not the 4lo is mechanically engaging? Normally if you attempt to throw it in 4lo and it's not set correctly it'll be beep like no other. Since you're not experiencing that I'm wondering if you are in 4lo w/o the light?

Prob a shot in the dark but that'll help determine whether it's an electrical issue or mechanical issue.

Either way if you're too lazy I'd say cough it up to sending it to the dealer for a warranty inspection.

good luck

rando6289
11-10-2009, 02:06 PM
thanks, i will try putting it on a lift and looking underneath and putting it in 4lo first like you mentioned, then i guess i will try the dealer if all else fails. there aren't any warranty issues that you know of with the 4wd is there?

Good Times
11-10-2009, 04:49 PM
None that I am aware of. I'm thinkin it's something wrong w/ the ecu or something that needs replacing. Just thinking out loud but it should all be covered under warranty.

Good luck!

rando6289
11-10-2009, 04:53 PM
... but I am the 3rd owner.... would it still (if at all) be covered under that?

Good Times
11-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Shouldn't be an issue unless you have a ton of miles and it's over the general warranty coverage. Hope that helps.

co2tx
02-21-2010, 04:30 PM
hey rando did you ever solve this issue, and take it the dealership?

rando6289
02-21-2010, 04:45 PM
unfortunately, i have been out of state for several months and unable to take it to a dealer yet. since i still have all-time 4 wheel drive that works fine (2 snow/ice storms no porblem) i have had to put it on the back burner for now (i have also been told I am due for a timing belt...$300 right there)

are you having the same issue?

co2tx
02-21-2010, 05:05 PM
i have checked check all that apply (fuse, driving fwd, back neutrel etc) :screwy:
i have the extended warranty (just over 61,000mi) but been lazy to drive to the dealer to check it out. im thinking its an electrical issue somewhere? 4h engages just fine. i will update this once i do figure it out.

co2tx
04-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Just got the 4runner out from Toyota this morning. They were working on 4lo not engaging issue. They ordered a brand new ABS Actuator and computer assy. all under the extended warranty. 36 hours w/o the truck was a pain, to find out that this did not solve anything ?
I spoke w/ both the technician and my service guy and neither had a clue on why they could not engage it. They did mention that he would be speaking w/ Toyota Tech dept about trouble shooting it here in the near future???
This is not a big deal, but if i could get the 4lo working just fine before the warranty gives and i could maintain it that would be a great feature to have...
I tried all the tricks in the book for 1 hour when i got to the house trying to engage 4lo and nothing happened..

what do you guys think about that?
thanks in advance..

rando6289
04-22-2010, 05:24 PM
co2tx ,

do have any idea how much getting the dealer to look at it would have cost you if you didn't still have it under warranty? and did they mention any possibilities of it being a loose/broken wire? i am just wondering if something somewhere between the switch in the interior and the mechanism underneath the 4rn is the problem

i will be heading back home soon and am trying to decide whether to take it to a good mechanic or the pricey dealer!

co2tx
04-23-2010, 07:27 AM
Rando they replaced the ABS Actuator $2146.22 along w/ computer assy $292.49 and brake fluid $6.75 =2445.46
When i followed up w/ the tech i brought up that perhaps one of the hoses was connected to a wrong line or loose? I am thinking that it just might be around those same lines under the 4R...