PDA

View Full Version : CB radio installation help

toyNG
11-04-2009, 09:13 AM
So I finally got around to installing a CB radio. My girlfriend bought me the Cobra 19 along with a k30 magnet mount antenna for my bday a few weeks back. I wanted to be able to conveniently move it between my 86 pickup (used for wheeling) and my 2000 Land Cruiser (daily driver, camping/fishing), so I decided to install it with a cigarette lighter adapter like this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875401

The CB was working, but was getting quite a bit of static. I thought the static might be due to the cigarette adapter, so I tried hooking up directly to the battery. After connecting to the battery, I went to turn on the CB, and nothing. CB wouldn't turn on. I went to install it through the cigarette adapter that had previously worked and it still wouldn't turn on. Did I break something? I'm really bad with electronics, so replies will have to be at a fairly elementary level :screwy:

btw, I know the mag mount and cigarette adapter are not optimal, but I'm not looking for something to communicate across large distances on the highway. I just want something that will let me stay in touch with the group on the trail.

Seanz0rz
11-04-2009, 09:18 AM
might have popped a fuse in the radio (i hope there was a fuse!) otherwise the radio is likely dead.

not sure what your schedule is but i could drop by friday afternoon/evening (just have to be home by 7-730) and take a look at it for you. ill even tune your antenna!

your setup should be fine just like it is, CBs suck anyway, even with optimal setups. we just need to make sure people can hear you from 500 yards away.

toyNG
11-04-2009, 09:37 AM
thanks for the offer Sean. I just left a message on the Cobra support line. Hopefully they are able to help.

I might have to take you up on that offer. I usually get home by six on Friday. I'll PM you Thursday if I think I might need your help. If it doesn't work out, then I'm sure we can meet up some other weekend or whenever. thanks man.

Seanz0rz
11-04-2009, 09:39 AM
ill have some free time on saturday im sure, probably in the evening.

Seanz0rz
11-04-2009, 09:54 AM
do you happen to know which wire you put where on the battery? red to {+} and black to {-}? if you reversed that, its likely dead.

somewhere on the wire to the CB there should be an inline fuse (red wire). take it out of the housing and see if its broken (wire inside the glass will no longer be 1 piece, may be some burn marks inside). if its burned, then go to radio shack and get a 2 amp, type 3AG fuse (this is per the 19's manual)

toyNG
11-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Wire in the fuse is in one piece, but it looks like there are some burn marks. I'll pick a new one up and let you know what happens

Now that you mention it, I did accidentally place the black wire on the positive end of the battery, but then quickly removed it once I realized. It was in contact for a brief second, while the car and CB were both off. I guess this could have been enough huh?

Seanz0rz
11-04-2009, 10:24 AM
only if both wires were on the wrong posts of the battery. (black to red and red to black)

toyNG
11-04-2009, 12:03 PM
replaced the fuse and it works again. thanks Sean! I still might take you up on your offer to tune it :D