PDA

View Full Version : functional hood scoop

rando6289
11-12-2009, 05:03 PM
has anyone ever made their sport edition's hood scoop functional?

i have thought about drilling holes through the plastic that is behind the mesh grille. i cannot get two screws loose from underneath the hood which i thought would allow me to take off the hood scoop and remove the plastic part and replace the 'new' open hood scoop.

4x4mike
11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Guys have drilled the plastic holes. At least mine has holes in the front of the scoop. I guess they drill them all out. I think it would let a bunch of water and dirt in. Our Subaru has a functional scoop and it has 2 baffles to keep stuff out of the engine compartment. About the only thing that gets in and builds up is leaves and pine needles.

CJM
11-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Take some fine black plastic mesh they use to block off gutters to keep stuff out.

Ric
11-12-2009, 10:50 PM
on my 99, I just cut out the cup part of the scoop, it does allow rain and dirt to get into the enginebay..

As far cutting holes, I seen somewhere online that someone had cut 4 holes, then ran flex tubing to the airbox and cut holes to insert the tubes, but Im sure Id never be able to find it, lol
Ive thought about a few things but nothing worth it IMHO

Nick
11-13-2009, 06:27 AM
As far cutting holes, I seen somewhere online that someone had cut 4 holes, then ran flex tubing to the airbox and cut holes to insert the tubes, but Im sure Id never be able to find it, lol

I remember that! I think it was on YT somewhere...but I think it looked really whacked-out and impractical :D There was so much flex hose!

Ric
11-13-2009, 07:52 AM
yea, there was lots of flex tube... lol