PDA

View Full Version : College campuses are really not safe anymore

localmotion
04-16-2007, 10:30 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,266310,00.html

My prayers go out to the friends/family involved in the shooting.

oly884
04-16-2007, 10:40 AM
This is so incredibly sad.

Seanz0rz
04-16-2007, 10:45 AM
when this kinda stuff happens, i always think of that (in)famous clock tower in texas...

very sad,

mastacox
04-16-2007, 10:52 AM
What a terrible tragedy :(

Texas Jim
04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Thirty two dead and twenty one injured by one lone shooter... another good reason to allow more consealed permits to carry. If one prof. or student had been armed this all could be a different head line.

My thoughts go out to the families and fellow students who survived this horrible ordeal. This also happend in Iowa City, only the numbers were not as high. TJ

MTL_4runner
04-16-2007, 02:58 PM
More CCW permits could just as easily have the opposite effect.
The entire event was a horrible tragedy indeed.

neliconcept
04-16-2007, 04:22 PM
just glad all my friends at VT are safe.

How is it possible for someone to not have remorse and just brutally murder 33 ppl?

RustBucket
04-16-2007, 04:33 PM
God is still in control, guys.

We live in such a broken world.

amgraham
04-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I spent 3 years at Tech and it is kind of strange seeing such familiar things on the news associated with this. I lived in the dorm where the first shooting was and had classes in Norris. I have been in contact with my friends and they are fine. I'm still apprehensive to see if I knew anyone who died :( .

I really do wish my CCW was valid on campus. I believe it would do more good than bad. I feel unsafe at VCU but never felt that way at Tech.. It's all changed now though...

cootees
04-16-2007, 05:32 PM
This really hits me hard being that VT is just 30 miles from me. There are a couple of friends there that I still have not managed to get in contact with so I am still hoping for the best.

From what I have heard from some guys that were in the Norris building when the shooting was taking place it is quite disturbing.

bamachem
04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
supposedly, the guy was looking for his GF at about 7am and killed two people in the dorm/housing building. TWO HOURS later, he went to the engineering hall wearing a vest with over a dozen loaded magazines and two 9mm pistols and chained the doors after he entered. he went around to the classrooms and got everyone he could. too bad that he saved his last bullet for himself instead of letting the tactical squad find him.

man, i just feel for those who lived thru it and for the families and friends of those who didn't. i can't imagine what they're all going thru. oddly enough, i was on a golf course this morning (since i worked all weekend) and when we got done, i went to the range to shoot the SIG and that's where i found out about it.

ChickenLover
04-16-2007, 07:45 PM
So very sad. It's unfortunate that self-defense is prohibited in so many areas.

GrnGrand97
04-16-2007, 08:23 PM
This a horrifying and sad event. I can't believe how many people were killed. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

YotaFun
04-16-2007, 08:29 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to those families and friends who lost love ones in today's shooting.

I was spared and still thanking god that all my friends are still alive and some what well (physically that is...)

Cheese
04-16-2007, 08:54 PM
The lives of too many young people changed too much and too fast today.

When I lay down tonight, I will mourn the lives. My heart is heavier for those who have to face tomorrow and all days after.

This is not about anything other than a tragic loss of life.

To whatever God you bow your head, I ask you to reverently reflect on today. Things like this disturb me deeply. Of all the terrible things, this is incomprehensible.

neliconcept
04-16-2007, 08:57 PM
We unite with VT this week, we are all Hokies in heart and I will certainly think about that when I ponder of this situation

reggie 00
04-16-2007, 09:26 PM
I caught bits and pieces of this on the radio today. My first thought was if anyone i knew here was involved.
Its a crazy world we have made where stuff like this can happen.
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone.
Those of you out that way make sure we all get kept informed, i am sure some help in one form or another will be needed.

Cheese
04-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Please do not pollute this thread with any more CCW drivel.

This thread is about the men and women who died and those who mourn for them. If you want to talk about that other stuff, start another thread.

04 Rocko Taco
04-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Please do not pollute this thread with any more CCW drivel.

This thread is about the men and women who died and those who mourn for them. If you want to talk about that other stuff, start another thread.

Absolutely. Its a horrible horrible thing, and my heart and mind goes out to those who are involved in any way. My thoughts and prayers are with the entire VT community!!

oly884
04-17-2007, 02:30 PM
All posts regarding CCW and college campuses has been moved to the politics and religion section.

cootees
04-17-2007, 06:49 PM
Finally heard back from all of my friends and they were not in the same building that the shootings took place. Several other friends I know had their friends involved in the shooting and were shot anywhere between 1-3 times but seem to be on the road to recovery.

Texas Jim
04-17-2007, 08:42 PM
This is a tragic and sad situation, it is incredable what one can do to torture so many lives. When it's all reflected upon and tomarrow comes as it always does, will any thing be done to look for these types in society? This kid had be referred to counseling, by the school. Some of the other students felt this guy was going to go off, He felt belittled by the other students because they were richer and had more than he did? What is happinging to children today?

Young adults, this starts in junior high, if you don't fit into the right click your out? Well I just say if you are a parent make sure your children understand that everyone does not live at the same income levels, and how income doesn't make you a better person!!! Don't let day care and school dictate the way your children are raised. Teach them values!!! Be a parent!! You can't be a friend and a parent too. Don't give in and by all means teach your children to recognize when someone needs help!! TJ

turboale
04-18-2007, 10:05 AM
You know what irks me about this whole thing...

The media...
They dramatize everything so much for ratings its sickening. These people have just been through probably the biggest tragedy of their lives and these a-holes go and prod, poke, force stories out of people and it just makes me sick. They had one person on the phone and one of her friends had been shot in the back but was in stable condition and had yet to hear from another friend and the reporter kept asking what it would be like if they had been killed, and all I want to do is reach through the tv and smack the reporter?! how inconsiderite and cold could you be!? to not only do that but on national TV!?? This is the last straw for me and american media... Being owned by a corporation by definition they are required to make money and what they push these reporters to do is freaking pathetic!

bamachem
04-20-2007, 08:27 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/pmille27/6231204e.jpg

my heart goes out to the families and friends who have to live through their front-row seat to this tragedy.

MTL_4runner
04-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Rather than focus on what a freakshow the gunman was, I'd like to see them do more media coverage on who the people were that taken so early in life and have them do more tribute stories in that respect. I think we're all sick of seeing whackos on TV and all the millions of nutcase experts that crawl out of the woodwork like cockroaches looking for food or even all the political banter about gun control. Makes me very sad that something like this can take place in modern day and the world was robbed of their potential contributions to society.

oly884
04-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Jamie, I couldn't agree more.

I was sad to see that NBC stooped to the level of showing all that crap. They did exactly what he wanted them to do.