PDA

View Full Version : Business and Personal Ethics Conflicting?

Obi..
11-21-2009, 09:13 PM
*OK fair advisory, it's laundry day here and I'm putting this out for all here to see and consider.

I kept debating whether or not to open this topic up as I never seem to feel I have effectively proven any of my points in this part of the UY site, but I am going to take the chance that we're all adults and like minded enough to see that in screwing over one member and the people he deals with as customers, this place is, in a way, screwing over others we might know, like a friend, neighbor, well, you get the point. I am going to copy over a letter I've just sent off and am in all fairness and self protecting interest, going to omit the relevant name/s. If you know who I am referring to, please, keep that to yourself and at least let it go until we figure out what we can do about this, even if it means it has to become a small claims issue.

Am I approaching this in a fair while protective manner or just being as much of a dick? I hate that I have to be like this but this person deserves to "Reap what he has sewn."

Please, as mods would you be willing to listen to this?

I am honestly disturbed by the fact that (Name Omitted) is still pimping his closeout stuff in (here). I realize he has certain privileges as a sponsor, but I am also going to keep politely offering alternative solutions to posts he puts in reply to member's questions where he is blatantly trying to make a sale for himself.

My reason being solely is I am a shop employee who has a boss who is screwed over because of his closing down and unwillingness to rectify pre-existing warranty and order issues. Crying "We're closed, sorry." is not how you stand up for yourself and absolutely looking back at things, exactly why he has gone out of business. Too many people screwed over enough times they, like he said (QUOTE OMITTED).

He closed his shop, end of story. In my opinion he shouldn't be allowed to go on making a side profit from that in places like here, while simultaneously screwing businesses that had supported him and his product.

By him doing this, he isn't just hurting the shop, he is hurting all those employed along with me by us having to invest in alternative solutions to make good with our customers. Not to mention the bad press he is furthering when we have finally decided to just tell the customers the truth, "He's being a dick, sorry, here is what I/We can do to fix this for you, would you be willing to possibly invest a little more money, if not we'll figure something out."

In this time of economic strife this stuff's bound to happen, but I am not going to sit back and let him screw us like this and I hope I/We would be supported in this (here).

I'd put this into Chit-Chat, but it isn't worth the can of worms.

I figure you knowing this will at the very least garner some level of respect should he throw a fit over my replies.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, but I felt the truth should be known among certain people.

**Again, if you know who I am referring to do not put that person's name here, at this point we'll just call him "Voldemort" if need be.

AxleIke
11-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Uh.....

Considering there is no back story other than what I can garner out of the strange quote you posted, my take on this is that someone, somewhere is allowing another person to sell products on a website, even though that person went out of business and won't sell to your shop.

I could be way off there, but its the best I could do. So, as far as I can tell, you want the person who is selling stuff banned by whomever it is you wrote the letter to, or so I gather.

If all that is the case, then I don't understand what you want for responses here at all.

However, that being said, and considering how much of the time I avoid acting like an adult, I'm voting: BACON!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Obi..
11-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Sorry if the post wasn't clear enough, but yeah, a vendor who's gone out of business and who still owes shops recompense is instead using their power as a forum supporter to conduct personal business still and not, I repeat, not paying out those he owes. The reason I post it here is I would like to see people's thoughts on this.

Consider it like closing down a dealership and still selling the cars left out of your farm lot. How is this kind of stuff allowed and considered Kosher? They are not in a position to sell to anyone, since the business is now closed and therefore, legally they have no business license anymore, yet the person has taken stuff from the closure (as evidenced by the ads and pimping going on) and is using it to continue obtaining funds. Now if you go and close w/ or w/o bankruptcy, you don't screw over people you owe stuff to and profit on the side, that's AFAIK not allowed under the specific chapter this business used.

(Sorry, had to find a way to put in "Kosher" since you got to say "bacon".)

I'm waiting and hoping to see if a couple here who know of the situation reply to set things a little straighter and offer their thoughts.

A little excerpt from the public records available online..

(Name Deleted) the experience you need when performance counts. ... If you are considering Bankruptcy or you have questions about Bankruptcy or Financial Help its easy to find at My Bankruptcy Attorney. ...

He's even pimping out his attorney just to make a buck..WTF.. :chair:

corax
11-22-2009, 06:30 AM
I think I know who you're talking about . . .

Many specialized businesses have been hit hard and/or gone out of business in the last year or two - leaving many suppliers and customers feeling wronged. Take Earthroamer as an example - they left the field owing money to several suppliers and unable to pay - yet I believe they will/have reopened under a new name and left the bad juju behind them for everyone else to write off. It's just one of the risks of doing business.

I don't think there's anything wrong with him selling off the last remaining stock/trinkets from his business. I'm not sure what kind of "pre-existing warranty and order issues" exist, but once bankruptcy is declared all warranties go out the window - if he took money for an order knowing he couldn't deliver, then that is something else entirely. As long as he's not posting a current product line in the "vendors" section, I don't see the harm - it would be equivalent to a regular forum junky offering to sell something online. Hopefully your customers are mature enough to understand it wasn't the business you work for that wasn't able to deliver . . .

Obi..
11-22-2009, 01:58 PM
True. I think the hardest thing here has been our need to realize just that. People are human, stuff happens, but when in my case, it was someone you considered trustworthy and admired for their contribution to our community it stings that much worse. I'd like to have been able to think initially the people I was around were at fault, but that initial blame can only go so far when you've dealt with something yourself independently without a warning about it first. I think I was simply allowed to see the truth too quickly and that ultimately is what is bothering me most.

Sort of how another vendor is a complete a$$ on the phone over the simplest of things and whose prices are extremely elitist and only serve a very limited "core group" while burning everyone else.

fustercluck
11-23-2009, 06:51 AM
If it is his inventory, he can sell it however he wants. You don't heed a business license to sell online. I'd be familiar with the definition of fraud before I went public with accusations. The legal pendulum could swing against you.

Business is frustrating when the participants are unethical.

Obi..
11-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Why I am merely asking for feedback here. I am not going to do anything else myself expect the boss to handle it. Worst case all i get is subpoena'd to be asked to verify certain conversations. Like I said before, people do what they have to but it sucks when it has to be a certain way is all.

http://kinialohaguy.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/ferengi-ethics.jpg