PDA

View Full Version : My 10/22 build thread

Robinhood4x4
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Edited 10-8-10: This thread was originally just about the mag release extension but I've expanded this to be a 10/22 buildup thread. Scroll down to see the new info.

Not bad considering I don't have a lathe or drill press.

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-S8NZxXH/0/L/i-S8NZxXH-L.jpg

I ended up using my 18V hand drill as a lathe and using the corner of a file I carved a dimple into the center of a scrap piece of aluminum round stock. Then I clamped a drill bit into a vise and drilled a blind hole into the aluminum and tapped it for a 8-32 set screw. I cut it off at 1/2", threaded the screw into the hole, chucked it up by the screw. Again, using the drill like a lathe, I used a file and a bench grinder to turn down the diameter and apply a radius to the end. Then, after a little sandpaper and polishing the extension was done.

Scuba
11-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Forgive me for being gun stupid but what exactly will that allow you to do..?

Robinhood4x4
11-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Ah, sorry, I forgot if you don't have a 10/22 you don't know the shortcomings. The stock mag release isn't exactly the easiest to manipulate. That little button where the new piece is attached is the mag release. With a stock mag release, you push that button with your thumb which theoretically releases the mag into your waiting hand. In actuality, the mag binds because your thumb is pushing against the mag at the same time that you're pushing on the release. So this makes it much easier to push the button and release mags.

Obi..
11-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Faster shooting action with added rounds.

slosurfer
11-24-2009, 05:49 PM
I thought I was going to see some funky way that you extended the actual magazine to hold more rounds. :laugh: Looks good. :thumbup: I need to build me a 10/22

Robinhood4x4
11-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Woops, changed the title. I forgot to add "release". :D

4x4mike
11-24-2009, 05:59 PM
I've wanted a 10/22 for some time now. Maybe someday. Good job on the mod.

Okie81
11-25-2009, 11:14 AM
Nice mod. It sucks trying to get that clip out conventionally when your hands are cold and numb.

Robinhood4x4
11-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I need to build me a 10/22

BTW, I'm not building anything...My goal is to spend as little money as possible on my 10/22. So far I've done a trigger job, bolt release mod, small bolt chamfer, and now the mag release, all done myself. Next is to get the stock barrel rechambered by nemohunter on rimfirecentral, and possibly bed and free float. Ok, maybe I'm building a little, but it's going to be a sleeper. So far the only money I have into it is a $50 simmons scope, $10-20 in sling swivels and sling (for appleseed), and a bunch of mags and maybe only 8-12 hours of time.

Maybe I should turn this into a build thread.

Erich_870
11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Next is to get the stock barrel rechambered by nemohunter on rimfirecentral...

Rechambered to what?

Maybe I should turn this into a build thread.

Yes, please do :clap:

Erich

Robinhood4x4
11-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Rechambered to a match chamber. Nemo does this machine work on the side but has a pretty good following on RFC. Basically, he cuts off about 1/4" from the chamber side and re-reams the chamber for a tighter fit and then re-crowns the muzzle end.

It's supposed to rival the aftermarket barrels for accuracy and only costs about $85. You can also add in other things like hand lapping and moly treatment.

The downside, as with all match chambered barrels, is that extracting an unfired round may or may not work anymore. Usually, "tuning" the extractor or buying aftermarket remedies this but there's no guarantee.

Erich_870
11-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Rechambered to a match chamber. Nemo does this machine work on the side but has a pretty good following on RFC. Basically, he cuts off about 1/4" from the chamber side and re-reams the chamber for a tighter fit and then re-crowns the muzzle end.

It's supposed to rival the aftermarket barrels for accuracy and only costs about $85. You can also add in other things like hand lapping and moly treatment.

The downside, as with all match chambered barrels, is that extracting an unfired round may or may not work anymore. Usually, "tuning" the extractor or buying aftermarket remedies this but there's no guarantee.

Cool!

Erich

CJM
11-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I would buy a cold blue kit and blue that Steve, would look better.

Robinhood4x4
11-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Nah, that would contradict my goal of not spending money on this gun.

CJM
11-25-2009, 09:04 PM
What you dont have a cold blue kit already? And you call yourself a gun nut lol..

Robinhood4x4
10-08-2010, 01:54 PM
In keeping with my goal of spending as little money as possible on my 10/22, I decided to try the flip flop recoil pad. It's a little rough since this is the first time I've ever attempted fitting a recoil pad to anything, and I was also in a hurry to get the gun ready for a squirrel hunt in a few days (which has since been canceled).

My recoil pad started out life as 5.11 tactical sandals (on sale for $2).
http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-V7vcgbR/0/L/i-V7vcgbR-L.jpg

I taped off part of the stock to protect it and then using a belt sander, flattened out some of the curves of the stock.
http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-pvp6WRC/0/O/i-pvp6WRC.jpg

Then, again using the belt sander, I roughly shaped the foam to within 1/16" of the stock. From there, I used 80 grit sandpaper wrapped around a file (see background of above picture) to get it even closer.

Here's the finished product. The plastic piece in the groove is kydex that I had left over from a holster I had made. I just shaped it to fit and glued it in with super glue.
http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-QtqWZqL/0/O/i-QtqWZqL.jpg

http://antinode.smugmug.com/photos/i-bpLqwqN/0/O/i-bpLqwqN.jpg

I was hoping 3 screws would hold the recoil pad to the stock well enough, but there was still a significant gap. Super gluing the pad to the stock all the way around fixed this. Prior to super gluing it, I did an experiment with some left over foam and wood and it is an extremely strong bond. If I had pulled hard enough, it would have ripped the foam and left a big chunk on the wood. By the way, the glue I used was a gel type.

04 Rocko Taco
10-10-2010, 11:06 AM
How important is a recoil pad on a 10/22? I'm not being a jerk, just I am used to shooting larger calibers, the only rifles I have currently are either 12 ga shot guns, or my Mosin's (7.62x54R which is within a hair of exactly the same as a 30.06) and I dont have a recoil pad on anything. My buddy won't shoot his Mosin without a pad, or even his SKS, but I just dont use 'em on anything....

Long story short, this mod looks good, and seems like a nice fit, and a good way to go on a budget build. I'm just curious why a recoil pad on a 10/22....

oly884
10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
If I'd take a guess, it's less about recoil and more about comfort. It's nice having something soft against your shoulder as opposed to the stock plastic they have back there. Especially since you tend to shoot a 22lr. all day instead of a handful of shots.

Robinhood4x4
10-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Good question. Most people put a recoil pad on a 10/22 to increase the Length of Pull because for some reason a 10/22 seems shorter than other rifles even though it's the same. For me, I've always hated the smooth, hard plastic plate because it's too slippery. The gun moves around too much in the shoulder.

The second reason is the eye relief on my scope is fairly long and there's no more adjustment to push it forward.

04 Rocko Taco
10-11-2010, 02:49 AM
Excellent reasoning. I was just curious. :)

RobG
11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Nice Cheap Mods, I like them that way too.

When I first read this post I didn't know much about the 10/22 other than shooting them a few times. I am now in 10/22 acquisition mode and am curious about the model and vintage of your 10/22? Is it a basic carbine? Is it the old metal trigger group or newer plastic trigger group? If it is metal will you mag release mod work on a plastic model? I didn't realize there is so much to know about 10/22's and possible modifications and upgrades.

Can you post a picture of your entire rifle?

Any advice to someone trying to purchase a 10/22? I've read a bunch on CG and RFC but there is so much there and it's hard to know who's opinion holds water? Some people say buy only the older models, some say it doesn't matter, others make your own without any Ruger parts. Looked at a carbine and a sporter today, the sporter being $60 more but having a nicer stock and sling loops installed. Trying to get this for an upcoming shooting trip with the kids, any advice is appreciated. Apologies for the partial hijack.

Robinhood4x4
11-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Unfortunately, I searched my archives for recent pictures of the complete rifle and couldn't find a single one. On top of that, it's in pieces right now in preparation for the barrel to be sent out to nemohunter on rfc to do some chamber work, so I can't go take any pictures. But because it's a sleeper, it looks just like any other 10/22.

Yes, it is the basic carbine, el cheapo from sportsman's warehouse. $200, I think. Mine is the metal housing, surprisingly. I thought it would be plastic. I don't see why the release extension wouldn't work; all you have to do is drill and tap it.

Personally, I don't think the plastic ones are bad, but I've only seen one. I think the people who don't like plastic are stuck in the 70's, especially for a 10/22. Which one you get depends on what you intend to do with it. Lots of people upgrade the stock anyway, so there's no use in getting the upgraded one. Sling swivels you can install yourself.

If you get into modifying it, you'll probably upgrade the trigger/bolt, barrel and stock, and probably in that order. At least that's what I would do. The nice thing about the trigger work, is that you can do it yourself or buy new for pretty cheap.

I don't think you should put together a rifle without any ruger parts, especially for your first one. Maybe for your 2nd or 3rd "ultimate" 10/22, but not your first.

Bottom like, if it's for your kids, it'll get beat up so maybe just get the cheapest one.

RobG
11-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Thanks for sorting that out Steve. Your take on things always seems to be right on.

Unfortunately there are no good deals on 10/22’s locally right now and seeing how it is such a feared and deadly weapon requiring a 10 day cooling off period I have to do something in the next few days in order to have it for our trip. So I’ll either just cheap out and wait for a sale or do an impulse buy and pony up the extra $40 this weekend.

One final question. Does that ring on the end of the stock on the carbine that goes around the barrel cause any issues with floating, bedding, or re-crowning the barrel?

Thanks!

Robinhood4x4
11-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Honestly, I haven't done enough with the barrel ring to form my own opinion, but most people say to take it off and float the barrel because it would defeat the purpose of floating the barrel. Others say go the opposite way and put a pressure pad at the end of the stock (muzzle end) and play with differing thicknesses to see if there is any improvement in accuracy.

Really, I haven't gotten far enough into the accuracy thing yet, to know which way is better. What I'll probably end up doing is splitting the ring horizontally at the barrel/stock interface and gluing it back on so it still looks stock.

Recrowning only resurfaces the very tip of the muzzle so no, it doesn't have anything to do with the ring.

By the way, if you're going to get more factory magazines, I'd recommend spending the few extra bucks on the transparent ones. It's nice to see how many rounds you have left in the mag.

04 Rocko Taco
11-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey Steve... How accurate is this thing going to be?
I have recently acquired a little Glenfield Model 60, and have heard many "internet rumors" that it is a far superior (accuracy wise - but not in any other way from what I am seeing) rifle to the 10/22 right out of the box. Obviously your's is no longer "right out of the box" and mine is, but I am curious what kind of groupings you will get with this thing at say 25-40 yds?

Robinhood4x4
11-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't think 10/22's are known for their out of the box accuracy, but this is what mine will do at 50 yards. The orange dot is 1 inch in diameter so the groups probably average about 1.5-2 inches.

http://www.robinhood4x4.com/UY/Trgt.JPG

The only accuracy work I've done to it is a trigger job. Other mods don't contribute to accuracy, like the bolt chamfer and polish, and mag release, but rather help with reliability and ease of use. There's also a 3x-9x scope.

In my mind, I'd be happy with keeping all my shots within the first circle of the orange dot, so 1/2" at 50 yards. I'm not really sure if that's realistic, but I think it is if I remember the targets I've seen posted on RFC after nemo worked on it. Keep in mind, this rifle helped me achieve a "rifleman's" patch at appleseed and it was completely stock at that time.

Robinhood4x4
11-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Just ran across this thread about stock accuracy and the marlin is mentioned.
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336724

And here's a couple threads on nemo's barrels.
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347743

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283016

4x4mike
01-28-2014, 11:10 AM
Any updates on your work from Nemo? Did you see any improvements?

It's also been a few years and we need some pictures or the links on previous ones fixed. Since my first post in this thread I bought a 10/22, it's been about 2 years now. Lots of fun but .22LR is hard to come by at a good price. I'm down to a small mound so I don't go out as much.

Robinhood4x4
01-29-2014, 08:50 PM
Funny you should bump this post now, I just ran across it a few days ago and was thinking I should fix the pictures.

Honestly, I didn't see any improvement in my rechambering, but lots of other people swear by it on RFC. I also still need to float the barrel and bed the action, so it could be that those things are over riding any accuracy gains that the rechambering had.

I'll post more later...time for bed.

4x4mike
01-30-2014, 08:32 AM
Interesting. My 10/22 is the 'all weather' stainless version. I don't think it's an option any more since the take down model came out. Mine looks identical except for the take down feature.

Other than wanting an .22 i bought a Ruger because of the modability. I've put a Houge stock on it and at the time had to chose standard barrel or bull barrel. Like you I didn't want to pour money into this rifle but there are some nice looking and performing aftermarket barrels out there. I stayed with the standard barrel and with the new stock I've ditched the barrel band.

I haven't noticed a huge difference in accuracy but the fit and feel is much better. The angle and length of the stock has changed which has helped. At the range I fire from a bench and use a Blackhawk bi pod which also helps. Fun rifle.