PDA

View Full Version : Reputable Catalytic Converter Company

YotaFun
11-25-2009, 10:22 PM
The Vehicle in question is a 2000 Honda Odyssey.

Recently threw a P0420 code.
Upon reading on AllData and performing the tests needed with the code
as well as snooping around the forums,
I have concluded that the Van needs a new converter.

I have read that the magnaflow cat from summit works well.
but I just did a general search for cat and came up with a variety of different companies.

I know magnaflow is a good company,
but does anyone have any experience with replacing a cat with OE specs?

one site has the following listed as OE replacements:
Benchmark
Bosal
Catco
Davico
Eastern

The only ones I have heard of are Benchmark and Catco.
Appreciate a little help and info from you guys.

Thanks In Advance!
Avi

Bob98SR5
11-26-2009, 01:00 AM
avi,

ive heard that catco, eastern and magnaflow all have good productxs.

YotaFun
11-26-2009, 07:58 AM
avi,

ive heard that catco, eastern and magnaflow all have good productxs.

Thanks Bob.
I was snooping around the forums a little more and kept coming up with magnaflow from guys, but from summit its a few bucks more then I can get an eastern or catco for...

BruceTS
11-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Just a little insight, the good inexpensive cats are coming from Canada... Why because the mining operation for platinum is located there as well as the plants that make them.

I purchased replacement cats for my 4Runner from a company off eBay, Muffler Express Distribution, username mufexpress, even though they are technically not legal on CA, my truck passed smog easily and they were a simple bolt on units.

As for pricing they couldn't be beat.....

here's a link to see if they have one for your vehicle
http://stores.ebay.com/Muffler-Express-Distribution

just looked and he does sell them for your vehicle
Honda Odyssey 99-04 3.5L Catalytic Converter $108.00

YotaFun
11-26-2009, 10:13 AM
WHOA!!!
Sweet Bruce!
thanks for the info.

Figure New York Can't be as bad as Cali so.

Erich_870
11-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Bruce, you've been holding out on us!!! :chair:

That is exactly what I've been looking for.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Erich

Crinale
11-28-2009, 12:58 AM
ill have to keep this thread in mind.. iv had cats go bad before, and they can be $$$

Bob98SR5
04-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Thread revival: I just bought the one that BruceTS recommended as my cat needs replacing. Bolt on is what convinced me as most of the ones I shopped for this morning required welding. Let's see if I pass in CA. As it is, I've barely passed the last 3 times.

malteserunner
04-30-2016, 11:29 AM
Bob, you probably won't have a problem with the sniffer. I'd be concerned with the visual inspection. Since this thread was started, California has made stricter requirements for aftermarket cats. Does your cat have a part number and executive order number on it? The smog shop will look for these, and compare them to what CARB deems acceptable for your vehicle.

There are listings on the Air Resource Board's website.

Seanz0rz
04-30-2016, 11:39 AM
I had no problem passing with my buggerweld Cat, but it had the number stamped on it. They didn't even check. No visual under the vehicle, even though mine is nearly 2 feet off the ground.

YotaFun
04-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Wow, 09, holy thread revival just a heads up, the cat is still on the vehicle thats in a junkyard somewhere (trans went) but the light never came back on the rest of its life!

Bob98SR5
05-03-2016, 02:20 PM
Well i decided NOT to take the risk and immediately cancelled after reading Malteserunner's reply. It was successfully cancelled and I just contacted a local guy to weld in a Catco cat. Appointment is on Thursday. $300 for parts n labor. Nor Cal is $$$

toyotech
05-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Although visual check is suppose to be done Not all smog places look for them. I haven't had any of mine checked. It might help to go to ones that are backed up with cars lol.

Bob98SR5
05-05-2016, 08:12 AM
Toyotech,

Nah, not taking the risk. This is Northern California, the land of ultra liberalism and pseudo-green hypocrites.

Seanz0rz
05-05-2016, 08:28 AM
It's not worth fighting CARB, BAR, and DMV.

4x4mike
05-05-2016, 01:14 PM
It's not worth fighting CARB, BAR, and DMV.

Speaking of those three, have any of you seen a SMOG checkpoint? They are like a DUI checkpoint but check for tailpipe emissions, like in the lane on rollers? I've been hearing about them more and more.
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdUN543rU34

Locally a few years ago I started seeing vans parked on roadways with sensors that monitor passing traffic. I haven't seen the checkpoints but I would have a problem with stopping at one. In my area I have to get a smog check every other year, on rollers, at the time of re-registration. If I'm stopped with probable cause, like something more compelling than a model year, I would let them do a visual to prove I have everything in place but I as far as a load test I'd be inclined to say I'll see them when my registration is due.

Seanz0rz
05-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Have 'em down here. I'm pretty sure I'd tell them to get a warrant or take a hike...

malteserunner
05-05-2016, 04:29 PM
And, you'd be in the right. It's like whoever assigns these type of checkpoints has never read the Constitution.

Bob98SR5
05-06-2016, 11:29 AM
So I got the cat put in with no problem. Minute Muffler in Dublin, CA. Great guys. Ended up putting in a Catco.

a big HOWEVER, on the drive down, my check engine light started blinking. Scanner said P0302. After the install, the scanner said P0302 again as well as P0301. Just my luck. In my LCA thread, I had the same issue but P0303 and P0304. I'm going to start a new thread.

4x4mike
05-06-2016, 05:27 PM
I'm going to start a new thread.

What?!? Tech? From Bob? It'll be like old times.

Looking forward to it.

Seanz0rz
05-06-2016, 05:40 PM
Weird thing is, last month Lance went wheeling!

Pretty soon rainbows will be upside down, cats and dogs will be hugging in the streets and everyone will go back to not being offended by everything. Crazy days ahead indeed...

toyotech
05-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Toyotech,

Nah, not taking the risk. This is Northern California, the land of ultra liberalism and pseudo-green hypocrites.
I'm in the Central Valley. Just need to be repeat customers plus having a truck with all kinds of armor makes them check out the ride than the cats lol

Bob98SR5
05-16-2016, 02:27 PM
Toyotech: last time I smogged my 4runner in Rancho Cucamonga, the tech wanted to buy my truck. He said "4wd, e-locker, 5 speed. How much?"

toyotech
05-16-2016, 10:58 PM
Toyotech: last time I smogged my 4runner in Rancho Cucamonga, the tech wanted to buy my truck. He said "4wd, e-locker, 5 speed. How much?"

Haha exactly. Distracted the tech. Being a hot looking girl if you must ����