PDA

View Full Version : trading in, need info on how to look up dealer reputation, help with this 4runne

neliconcept
04-16-2007, 04:21 PM
I guess you guys think im an idiot, Ive been thinking about the 4x4 conversion and its just something I cant see being a feasble outcome.

here is the 4runner, it is a 2000 4wd sport pkg,

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=218901374&dealer_id=85323&car_year=2000&search_type=both&num_records=25&keywordsfyc=&make=TOYOTA&transmission=&model=4RUN&distance=200&make2=&address=29621&default_sort=priceDESC&advanced=y&certified=&max_mileage=&max_price=14500&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=9000&body_code=0&end_year=2002&keywordsrep=&color=&start_year=2000&drive=&engine=&fuel=&doors=&style_flag=1&cardist=28

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/3/10/218/901/1757629358.218901374.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x338.jp g

what im wanting do know if their is something besides carfax in order to check this runner out, I have already talked to the sales manager and sales person, very nice people, want to make this happen as far as swapping my lift and crap onto this runner as they want mine with less miles

it does have 120k but only 14k more then mine.

Got a sorta :bigok: from my mom but shes not totally sure. I am as I think its in great condition, and a little better then mine.

let me know all of your opinions, to be honest this is sorta a good opportunity but I will only go ahead with the right deal and right interest rate when they buy mine out and finance this one.

oly884
04-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Sounds like you're making a MUCH better decision!

First off, go check it out, pictures can be deceiving. It's good to hear that they seem interested in swapping parts.

Take it for a test drive, check it over for any excessive wear and tear, all that good stuff.

Oh, and report back ASAP!

neliconcept
04-16-2007, 07:31 PM
went to take a look

have yet to drive it, If i get up early tomorrow ill go take it for a test drive before my afternoon meetings,

it has cloth interior, factory alarm, no sunroof (not sure about that)

interior, it has a deteriorating wood grain kit from what looks like jason B

They were willing to make a deal today, 1000 dollar difference,

I can add 1000 more to my car loan as its not a problem but I told them I need to talk it over with my parents first, My mom has sorta oked the idea, but not this particular runner. I need ideas on what to do, im confused and not sure what to do.

Lee
04-17-2007, 05:38 AM
waaaaaaaait a minute, didnt i advise you to do this months ago and you said no :D

anyway, thats a great idea. forget carfax, if you can get vehicle history that'd be key. if they dont have it, find out where it was first purchased (through carfax/a toy dealer with the vin), call that dealer and find out what service history they have on it.

neliconcept
04-17-2007, 08:36 AM
now im not sure

did a carfax, it said it had 9 reports on it. and to view those reports i have to freakin pay like some damn money

i thought carfax was free?

Bighead
04-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Nope...it's like $25 a month.

neliconcept
04-17-2007, 08:47 AM
well i guess its 25 dollars worth to find out if one of these 9 reports is an accident report.

Bighead
04-17-2007, 08:50 AM
I think it is worth it for peace of mind and that $25 gives you unlimited reports for 30-days. If this isn't the one at least you are able to continue the search and getting reports.

neliconcept
04-17-2007, 08:52 AM
well so far so good on current runner

two owners:
commercial use for first owner
second owner used for personal

It was registered with the first owner at spartanburg depo of transporation

Should i call them up to get info on this vehicle? IT does not say which dealer took delivery.

neliconcept
04-17-2007, 09:18 AM
ehhhhhhhh, i just did a autotrader search for the entire freakin country under 14k, and i still couldnt find another 4wd black sr5 sport, they were either 2wd or uhh 2wd.

Lee
04-17-2007, 10:13 AM
commercial use could mean abuse.

if it had multiple drivers, etc, it may have been a truck that was pounded on.

get whatever contact info you can on anything it says service-wise (my truck was serviced at the dealer and was inspected at a gas station and serviced there as well prior to me owning it and it came up as such on the carfax) and make as many calls as you can.

the more you know the better :)

but nothing speaks better than driving and inspecting it yourself.

neliconcept
04-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Well, I confirmed with some newspapers and things, the dealer im talking to now, is rated #1 used car sales in the upstate, they have a service center at their dealership, 4 free oil changes and inspections during. Im comfortable this car is takin care of, but I may call the toyota dealerships of both greenville and spartanburg.

i had it backwards, the first owner had it for 6 years then the second owner was the one who had it for commerical use, the salesman told me he bought it from there and brought it back 6 months later, got himself a honda civic.

Im going in for a test drive thursday, and im gonna get some crappy clothes on and inspect the crap out of it.

if anybody in the area wants to help let me know, i may need help converting stuff off this thing, and yes I think im going to get this one. I just got back from 3 diff cities looking for runners, saw 6 pre 99 4wds, none with lockers, one with shotty interior. found a 2002 sport 4x4 but it was 16k.

I think this will be the best deal I can go with.

localmotion
04-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I would say keep looking for with with a locker. If you need, travel to surrounding states. I know for a fact that there are TONS of 4wd locked 4runners for sale in the area.

Just search Fairfax, VA or Richmond, VA. Hell, if you are serious about buying one, ill go check it out for you.

Craigslist also has a ton of 4runner for sale...in VA that is.

neliconcept
04-17-2007, 12:08 PM
im trading in though, I dont have the materials to return mine to stock and sell it first. and I dont have the credit to get another car loan and return it to stock and sell it.

if you want you can help me look.

neliconcept
04-17-2007, 05:42 PM
plan is to call dealerships tomorrow,

but I think this is the 4runner,

Locking rear diff or not, im getting it.

I want black, I want 4wd, the rest I can add later.

sschaefer3
04-17-2007, 07:53 PM
Keep looking until you find one with a locker. Most Limited have them.

neliconcept
04-17-2007, 08:37 PM
I may have found another black sport, it was just listed today, has 4k less in miles then mine does, it may have a locker but i dont know just yet, sent email out and will hear back soon from this small town dealer. however its 175 miles away.

mastacox
04-17-2007, 09:27 PM
I personally would hold out for an e-locked one with a sunroof.. actually, that's exactly what I did :king:

I know finding a new car that seems like "the one" is exciting, but buying a vehicle, trading in or not, is no small decision and should not be rushed. If you're patient, you'll be able to find EXACTLY what you want, and 3rd gen 4Runners are only getting cheaper with time so...

Be strong, hold out a little longer and see what happens. Those are my 2 cents for what they're worth.

neliconcept
04-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Well if this one has a rear lock, ill prob end up getting it down in Summerville SC (low country hotness)

but if not, the sunroof it does have doesnt phase me as I dont care, I have a bmw that has a sunroof if I want to cruise with it. I'll get the one up here near me and go along with it.

Elton
04-17-2007, 10:32 PM
you have 2wd all this time i thought you had 4wd

neliconcept
04-18-2007, 07:26 AM
naw i just never disclosed it, too embarrassed considering i did wheel the #### out of it, but the dealership thats getting it doesnt know that shh

localmotion
04-18-2007, 06:58 PM
I love summerville. I will be down there late may.

good luck Blake.

neliconcept
04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
one in summerville has no locker, so its the black sport up here.

Going to test drive it tomorrow, ill let you guys know if i roll out of there with a new to me 4runner 4x4 or not.

localmotion
04-18-2007, 07:12 PM
definitely think it over. Dont jump the gun on the purchase. Look for one with a locker and with a sunroof...the locker is the more important thing here.

neliconcept
04-18-2007, 08:46 PM
color, options, and sport before locker man, i already have a lockright and I can add an elocked diff from oleg at irbis later if I want to or go arb rear.

So ill be locked, just automatic locked, ill be fully selectable by xmas front and rear and i should call it quits on the drivetrain as I wont have enough willpower to wheel it harder then that other then expedition trips.

sschaefer3
04-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Right now your complaing about not having 4WD, if you get one without a locker, you'll have a million posts complaing about not having a locker.

ARB is 850, plus 200 for the compressor and 350 for the install. Got an extra $1400, if not don't make that mistake.

Your going to Colorado, It won't be bumpkin fun anymore.

neliconcept
04-19-2007, 07:24 AM
i already... have... a... locker...

im so used to a lockrite it doesnt matter, if i want to go selectable later i will, but im not going to look 1000 miles to find one with a locker. especially since this dealership is willing to make a deal with me on this one that wont hurt me at all.

plus i got the dealer service records and everything has been done and on time.

sschaefer3
04-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Good Luck, goodbye.

p nut
04-19-2007, 10:48 AM
See if you can have the dealership swap the parts over. If they're desperate enough, they will. But I do agree, if you're going to be wheeling, it would be better to get a factory locker. I know you have one already, but that's less hassle and pain of dealing with the install. I'm in the search for a black SE, too. What's the info on the 2002 SE you found?

PM, me. Thanks.

neliconcept
04-19-2007, 11:10 AM
P nut, i didnt find an 02 se, just 2000s

what is your area?

Steve, dude whats the deal? If anyone would hear me out on my situation yall wouldnt be tellin me to go look for a locker because its just not feasable to find one and then try and beg a dealer to take my 2wd. I already tried to get a second loan and try and sell this one, that did not work. Im going to try and have my mom cosign on a second loan with me so I can sell the 01, if that doesnt work then swapping out is the only way.

I do not have 265/75 or 265/70 tires nor stock suspension, so their isnt a way for me to sell mine before hand either.

And to you all that have swapped, were you college students when you did this, did you have a small job and have little income.

will yall at least look at my side before throwing crap at me for once?

not trying to be snappy, just trying to be reasonable on how many options i can even take.

p nut
04-19-2007, 11:14 AM
I'm in SLC, UT, so not that far from you. My friend actually bought an M3 out in Greeley.

neliconcept
04-19-2007, 11:16 AM
well im still in south carolina right now so these 4wds are scarce over here, i may have to look into greeley, ft collins, loveland, boulder, denver area for a 4runner when I go back out

neliconcept
04-19-2007, 02:45 PM
alright, drove the 2000 sr5, not liking the sound the engine made, it had some whisp whisp noise as soon as it hit 4k in rpms.

My mother is willing to help, I may try and find a way to throw this thing back stock and sell it before I get a new one.

However I want the 4wd before tellico in june.

But inless you have a helpful response and telling me to get a locker, spare me please

p nut
04-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I think looking for one closer to home will be easier (Colorado). I've been looking in Texas and they have fairly better pricing, so check there. I found some 1999-2000's in UT that aren't too bad. Look up autotrader with 84101 as the area code. Good luck.

Oh, yeah, get a locker. :D

neliconcept
04-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Well Ric is helpin me with the Colorado listings on Craigs and wherever

Texas is an idea but since my parents make decisions based upon my credit and since I dont pay all of my gas, that might not work out.

Also another option, 01-04 dcab tacos, and no i wouldnt solid axle it or bracket lift it, something along the lines of scott bradys expeditionwests taco.

thats just an idea, nothing set in stone.

neliconcept
04-21-2007, 10:51 AM
alright guys, since I have been talking to my mom, shes willin to help me out with getting this truck sold first.

I am taking everything that "EVERYBODY" has said into consideration, sorry for being snappy but Im just scared of what might happen or how I may get screwed in a certain process.

But as far as color goes, im set on black, no changin my mind on that :D

p nut
04-22-2007, 08:18 AM
I took a test drive of a black and silver sport, and I have to say, black looked the best. I think I'm set on black, too.

Here is a 2000 Sport in New Mexico. Black and 5-speed (I'm giving you the lead, because I'm looking for an 01-02 Sport :D)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=213790045&dealer_id=59071117&car_year=2000&model=4RUN&num_records=25&make2=&start_year=1999&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&search_type=both&distance=300&color2=&make=TOYOTA&color=BLACK&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=84121&advanced=y&end_year=2001&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=300

neliconcept
04-22-2007, 09:24 AM
oh that looks nice. thanks dude.

almost had a 2000 black automatic sport with locker and sunroof and i would have bought it but the advertisement wasnt updated and he already sold it from craigslist.

should have been mine :)

p nut
05-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Got one for you. 99 Black Highlander w/ 95k miles, sunroof AND A LOCKER! Carfax checked out clean with 2 owners--both from Colorado. It is in Parker, CO. 90K mile service has NOT been done. I was seriously considering picking this up, but found a 2002 SE locally. I talked them down to the high-$11k's (not including TTL) over the phone, so in person, I'm sure you could do better. But better get on it quick.

Here is the ad:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=221965638&dealer_id=55810194&car_year=1999&num_records=25&search_type=both&make=TOYOTA&keywordsfyc=&distance=0&model=4RUN&transmission=&address=84121&make2=&certified=&advanced=y&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&max_price=13000&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=12000&first_record=26&body_code=0&end_year=1999&color=&keywordsrep=&start_year=1999&drive=&pager.offset=25&engine=&style_flag=1&doors=&fuel=&cardist=384