PDA

View Full Version : What newer truck to get

CJM
11-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Cant really make up my mind, the other night I and YotaFun were contemplating what truck I should get since my T100 is going down the road as soon as I can get rid of it. Just waiting to sell that and save up some cash so I can make a substantial down payment vs a huge loan on whatever I choose.

Came up with the following choices (order of preference)

1. 05-06 Tundra x-cab, V8 and 4x4.
-Extra HP/TQ of the VVTI engine, compared to 04 and lower it makes a staggering 282 or so hp and like 325 ft-lbs tq.
-5 speed tranny, which kinda sucks for a DIY drain and refill since they eliminated the dipstick and have a fill plug similar to a diff except you gotta fill it at a certain temp.
-Trucks are also known to have a rusting issue but 05-06 might be spared, I figure if I do get one por15 is going on there asap.
-Decent towing capacity. Dont think ill ever tow more than a 20ft travel trail at best or maybe a car with dolly. Most likely ATV/Smaller farm equip at best.
-Costly. Used for a decent one with about 50-75k is still 15k or so.
-Build quality has suffered it seems, some have leaks and other issues.
-Def gonna lift it, so I can fit 285s. Offroad packages are a moot point cause of this, so TRD isnt needed.
-Very little offroad, I have atvs now and basically will onlybe going offroad for spots for them, on fireroads or into the woods hunting. Maybe someday ill build up a truck..

2. F250 Super Duty
-99-03 so I can get the 7.3L powerstroke. Shame 04+ is a bit tougher built but 6.0L PS is not an option!
-Prefer stick but wouldnt shy from an auto
-X-cab with prefer 8ft bed unless the 6ft bed is over 6ft (usually they are like almost 7)
-If I can find a FX4 it comes with LSD
-Man hubs/t-case can be found
-Really HD truck, will haul probably anything I ever wanted
-Good mpg for such a large truck, 16 city is insane vs the Tundra
-Overall pretty reliable it seems, I read a few bad reviews but mostly bs stuff with people who have the gas trucks.
-Some kinda kift kit to fit 285's as I think the truck sits to low anyways
-Plow kit and plow one day, would be nice to have a plow truck again
-Huge truck however for usually just me. Only upside is i take people with me they can use the back seat (roomy compared to toyota) and I have a true bench up front so 6 ppl is easy to fit.
-May need more repair than Tundra
-Hard to find an older truck like this with low miles
-May be harder to secure a car loan for due to age, I think I might be qualified for a personal loan tho.
-Cheaper than Toyota, avg price of 8-13k or so
-SFA frontend
-POWER of the 7.3L, 275hp but 500lbs tq! I refuse the gas motors, pointless and they all knock.
-Can be chipped and exhaust done rather cheaply and will add substantial power
-Larger truck, harder to park and drive around smaller areas

3. Nissan Titan/Frontier
-Dont know to much about them, would like titan but iirc only comes in shortbed with x-cab, frontier of 05-06 is more the size of older (pre 97) F150 and is big enough imho-comparable to tundra
-5.6L V8, nice and powerfull engine, claim like 10k towing capacity
-Not sure on reliability, havent worked or seen to many of these over the years
-Not sure on the whole center console setup, prefer bench seat
-Poor mpg even for such a large truck apparently my E250 van gets better mpg loaded down

Im mostly leaning towards the Tundra if I can find the right one, yea im picky but im sick and tired of buying stuff that I gotta sink cash into. T100 is inoperable, the rear axle imho has a crack that is causing it to leak gear oil into the drum-5 different seals and a whole new axle shaft pressed with new seals has done nothing since I changed the axle shaft out. Truck still vibrates, to someone who doesnt care probably wont bother them-I just want it gone.

What do you guys think? I like Toyota reliability but price is high, also the rust issue with the frames they say its only up to 03ish but im not satisfied with that really (they are not just rusting on the frame but appears ENTIRE undercarriage and components are) bothers me. The super duty I feel might just be to much truck for light use-like I said advantage of it is if I ever need the power and size its there and mpg is good for diesel.Im not really sure about the nissan, not to big a fan of them really and so few on the road its hard to see them up close and or judge just how good they are.

YotaFun
11-28-2009, 10:55 AM
My Order for you is 2, 1, 3 (Titan, Frontier is like the Tacoma...)

You know my opinion so I will let everyone else share theirs....

corax
11-28-2009, 11:43 AM
If you were looking for a heavy duty work truck, I'd say get the Ford (my roomie just bought a crashed '06 4 dr PS for $4k and spent less than $2k to get it streetable). Since you're not looking for a work truck, I'd say Toy or Nissan. FWIW I think the Nissans got better reviews than the Tundra when they came out - visit some dealers and go test driving some day.

Is the Cummins powered Dodge not even an option? I know it's Chrysler, but I've heard the engine in pretty stout

CJM
11-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes the dodge is not an option. Ive worked on them and the only good thing on that truck is the cummins. my neighbor has one and geez that thing is at the shop more than at his house.

What I think it will boil down to is finding the right truck for the right price. I wont shy away from the Ford or a Toy if I find a good one tho.

jrallan26
11-29-2009, 11:25 AM
My dad just bought a 08 Titan. He's very happy with it.

CJM
11-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Drove around in my friends 08 frontier alot today, its ok but wow is it low and the cabin small compared to even my T100.

As it stands right now after careful deliberation I will probably get a Tundra, unless I find the right F250 for the right price. Toyota hasnt ever done me wrong and I think as a preventative measure to the rust issue ill buy some POR15 and go to town-3-4 hours of my time is well worth knowing it probably wont ever rust again.