PDA

View Full Version : Time for passenger car tires, 300M

Seanz0rz
12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
so the g/f's 2000 300m needs new tires.

in the past i had pretty good luck with michelin x-radial (though they were terrible in the very wet, they last FOREVER!) but they are a bit expensive. looking for the best value for money, something that is ok in the rain, will last a while, be decently quiet

tire size: P225/60R-16

currently im looking at the Yokohama AVID Touring-S ($86). discount tire's ratings are pretty good on that tire, probably the best on the website.

so does anyone here run these tires on their DD? any other suggestions for tires? obviously cost is a concern. id like to keep it under 100 a tire. thanks for your input. its been a LONG time since i shopped for tires, let alone something for a car.

L33T35T Tacoma
12-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I've been working in tire sales/installation at Sam's Club for 5 years now.

I'd recommend either the Michelin X-Radial, Goodyear Assurance Comfortread or Goodyear Assurance TripleTread. They're all pricy but all 3 are great tires and all 3 have an 80,000 mile warranty. Might also wanna check out the Michelin Hydroedge. 90,000 mile warranty

Crinale
12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
The Avid Tourings are REALLY popular on the CR-V forum i used to hang out on... they are one of the best budget tires...

Ive also had really good luck (in almost the exact same size) with General Altimax RT's ... cant really comment on their lifetime treadwear yet, but with about 10k on them they are hardly showing any wear... even better, we got them at a local shop for $250 for all 4 installed

CJM
12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
had continental tourings that lasted a good bit, also had continental extreme contacts that were 120 ea that you could do 70+ mph in the rain

Instead of tires buy her a corolla.

Seanz0rz
12-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Instead of tires buy her a corolla.

ROFL. earlier this week her ac compressor packed up, seized, and caught fire. luckily it was contained to the compressor and nothing else. the steering rack is missing a tooth in the middle (or so it feels) generally its a terrible car, and i hate it (comfortable though.. very comfortable!)

im not sure what to do about the car. it was a police auction purchase, $1k, salvaged title (stolen, partially stripped, repaired). i have a feeling its going to end up costing us alot of money down the road, but i cant even get close to affording a new (to us) car at the moment.

CJM
12-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Imho sell it to an illegal (they pay big bucks for most stuff) and buy anything else really lol.

I picked up a taurus for a dollar, if they had wanted to sell it they said 1500. Too bad your not around here, I get tons of offers to take cars and usually turn them down cause the cars need more work than I wish to bother with.

Seanz0rz
12-03-2009, 05:37 PM
im sure if i look hard, i can score another car for 1k. but is it worth the hassle?

this one still needs new tires. any more opinions?

YotaFun
12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Sean
I just got general altimax hps for the gti in a 205/65/15 (size that is made for moms Lexus es300 and slightly wider then stock for the car)
and from the miles I put on it so far (300 or so, just mounted and balanced them wed before thanksgiving)
and I must say they rule!
Lately we have gotten some bad rain near me, I mean the kind that requires the wipers on full force, and I have had the car up to 80 mph (honestly that's just a test, I am very cautious in the rain after my vey first accident that totaled my car)
and I feel very comfortable with these tire, dry pavement traction is excellent and this weekend we are suppose to get some flurries (if I don't get the truck back on the road these tires are gonna get tested for snow too)

They mounted and balanced very well and I am extremly conifedent in them.
Just a thought, mom has the michilans that you mentioned and they are meh, I always break the tiresloose from stop, and they only have aboun 5k on them....

Hope that gives ou a little more room

OH!!! and price!!! Was $65 ea from tirerack.

CJM
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM
im sure if i look hard, i can score another car for 1k. but is it worth the hassle?

this one still needs new tires. any more opinions?

Im just messin with ya lol