PDA

View Full Version : My new 4Runner.....What did I get???

kafene
12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
After my brother forced me to go to the Pismo Jamboree, I was motivated to trade in my '04 PreRunner for a 4x4. Thanks to Bob for recommending the year and model and thanks to Lance for all the information about the 4Runners on the phone while I was at the dealer! You guys really helped me out. :thumbup:

Here are some pictures and questions:

http://www.ohmark.com/photoimages/2009/4runner/front.jpg

http://www.ohmark.com/photoimages/2009/4runner/back.jpg

http://www.ohmark.com/photoimages/2009/4runner/leftrearquarter.jpg

http://www.ohmark.com/photoimages/2009/4runner/rightrearquarter.jpg

http://www.ohmark.com/photoimages/2009/4runner/side.jpg

The thing is, I bought an '04 V8 4x4. That's all I know. As you can tell from the photos, the emblems have been shaved off. From looking at the paperwork, it only says that I have a white V8 4Runner. I don't know what model I have. I know I don't have the limited because the seats are not leather. Other than that, I have no idea. I wanted to get new tires pretty soon, but I was told that I should raise it at the same time and get smaller rims. The wheels I have are P265 / 70R17. Are these stock sizes? Can I just get All Terrains with 17's or should I move down to 16's first? I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to and I don't know the pro's/con's of switching wheel sizes.

When I bought the 4Runner, I had nothing to compare to. The one I bought is not stock. Didn't realize it when I was test driving it, but while waiting in the lobby, I told the wife I didn't think it was stock because the exhaust was so loud and the drone in the car was also loud. I just thought it was the V8, but noticed the aftermarket intake afterwards.

http://www.ohmark.com/photoimages/2009/4runner/intake.jpg

The exhaust tip says "Gibson", but I have no idea if it's just the tip or the pipe also.

http://www.ohmark.com/photoimages/2009/4runner/exhausttip.jpg

http://www.ohmark.com/photoimages/2009/4runner/exhaustpipe.jpg

Sorry for the long post, but can anyone tell from the pictures what model I have? And will it affect my decisions on lifting it later? I want to do a 3" lift. Will that just be shocks/springs or will it get more involved than that? If I can find out what I have, than I can hopefully do a search for the other info.

Thanks!!

kafene.

Scuba
12-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Nice truck. You just say paperwork.. Did you not see the Title ? It should have the sub model on it, IE SR5, DLX..yada..

Obi..
12-11-2009, 02:39 AM
^Should've just told him he got the wrong model and just to "Give it to me!"

Score!! Nice catch! As far as info on it, just type your vin in here and it'll also tell you the trim and package level: http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html

This is what I got just now typing in my vin..

Market
N. America

Year
07/1995

Make
TOYOTA

Model
4RUNNER / HILUX

Frame
VZN120

Vehicle characteristics
GRADE: SR5: SR-5 TYPE

PRODUCT: JPP: PRODUCED AT TMC

DESTINATION: USA: UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

BODY: WG: WAGON

ENGINE: 3VZE: 3000CC EFI FUEL SYSTEM: EFI: ELECTRONIC FUEL INJECTION (GASOLINE)

TRANSMISSION: ATM: AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION GEAR SHIFT TYPE: 4FC: ATM, 4-SPEED FLOOR SHIFT

BUILDING CONDITION: CBU: COMPLETELY BUILT UNIT

NO.OF DOORS: 4D: 4-DOOR

Obi..
12-11-2009, 02:42 AM
*Who would your brother be and also a member here I gather?

4x4mike
12-11-2009, 10:50 AM
My 4Runner is a result of attending a Pismo Jamboree. Thanks guys.

expatoz
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Well I can tell you you have a Sport Edition. This comes with bigger brakes so you cannot downsize wheels without some mods. You can increase tire size to 275 x 70 x 17 without too much drama but will need a mild lift 1.5" or so. The Gibson exhaust can be rather noisy. I prefer Magnaflow 22" for a daily driver. The air box kit gets you nothing other than maybe more noise and less filtration. The suspension will be XREAS which means you are limited to a spacer lift unless you disconnect the system, and then you can go to coilovers etc. If your in SoCal and want to meet up sometime, pm me. We can chat and discuss topics in relation to mods, or just ask away here. My truck is the same model as your BTW. Enjoy.

expatoz
12-11-2009, 02:47 PM
PS - achilles heel to watch out for

1. Front passenger axle bracket can break under some hard wheeling. Its common to reinforce this item.

2. Leaking transfer case at the black box (solenoid) that requires pulling the case and repairing a 20c seal from the inside! ask me how I know!

3. Creaking/slipping seat rail - weld break

These are the main items which seem to cause problems along the way. I don't think you have a sunroof which is a good thing. They leak.

You may want to check mileage and whether the timing belt has been done. Should be done around 100,000miles.

Scuba
12-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Well I can tell you you have a Sport Edition.

Aww Poo, the hood scoop gave it away right ?

Obi..
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
My 4Runner is a result of attending a Pismo Jamboree. Thanks guys.

That's good Mike and thanks for sharing with the group. Admitting you have a problem is the first step. :rofl:

kafene
12-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Well I can tell you you have a Sport Edition. This comes with bigger brakes so you cannot downsize wheels without some mods. You can increase tire size to 275 x 70 x 17 without too much drama but will need a mild lift 1.5" or so. The Gibson exhaust can be rather noisy. I prefer Magnaflow 22" for a daily driver. The air box kit gets you nothing other than maybe more noise and less filtration. The suspension will be XREAS which means you are limited to a spacer lift unless you disconnect the system, and then you can go to coilovers etc. If your in SoCal and want to meet up sometime, pm me. We can chat and discuss topics in relation to mods, or just ask away here. My truck is the same model as your BTW. Enjoy.

Thanks for all the info guys! I couldn't find anything on the documentation from the dealer regarding model, but I did look under at the shocks and did notice the "brake line" looking things coming out of them. Also noticed the new insurance paper and it says Sport on it. At this point, I think I'm just going to plan on doing the 1.5" body lift. Regarding the tires, I'll look into the larger 275x70x17 expatoz mentioned and see how close it gets. Either that, or I'll stick with the 265x70x17 that are on them now.

So expatoz, what part of SoCal are you in? I live in Chino. :)

kafene.

Scuba
12-12-2009, 12:08 PM
If you haven't seen it yet check out toyota120.com, they have lots of info for your specific model. Stick around here aswell though, we have a good group :)

kafene
12-12-2009, 12:42 PM
If you haven't seen it yet check out toyota120.com, they have lots of info for your specific model. Stick around here aswell though, we have a good group :)

Thanks, Scuba... I remember you from Pismo. Aren't you the one who hogged up all the raffle prizes and the lights? Or was that someone else?

kafene.

Scuba
12-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah that was me with the crazy hair and I did win a set of lightforces and a gift cert. for some things..
Not gonna lie there were so many people there this year I don't remember many of the new faces, but glad to see you around the site and hope to see you again next year :)

Scooter25
12-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Thanks, Scuba... I remember you from Pismo. Aren't you the one who hogged up all the raffle prizes and the lights? Or was that someone else?

kafene.

Yeah that definitly sounds like Steve :flipoff:

slosurfer
12-12-2009, 07:47 PM
:laugh: So that makes at least 2 4runner converts from the last three pismo jamborees. :laugh: :thumbup:

kafene, what did you drive to the jambo or did you come with someone else? (just trying to see if I can place your face) :D

kafene
12-12-2009, 08:38 PM
:laugh: So that makes at least 2 4runner converts from the last three pismo jamborees. :laugh: :thumbup:

kafene, what did you drive to the jambo or did you come with someone else? (just trying to see if I can place your face) :D

It was me and my two girls and went with my brother in his black Land Cruiser and his dog. I was offering to go with my PreRunner, but he wanted to take one car. Glad we did. I was trying to brush him off and the "stupid camping trip" for weeks before he started laying out the guilt trip. Right after I got back, I was searching for a 4WD! Hahaha.

Scuba
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM

kafene.

Yeah that definitly sounds like Steve :flipoff:

Dont be jealous because you werent there to share the good times, the campfire, and the raffle swag :asshat:

Yes this is my attempt to try and get you to come again next year..

slosurfer
12-12-2009, 09:48 PM
It was me and my two girls and went with my brother in his black Land Cruiser and his dog. I was offering to go with my PreRunner, but he wanted to take one car. Glad we did. I was trying to brush him off and the "stupid camping trip" for weeks before he started laying out the guilt trip. Right after I got back, I was searching for a 4WD! Hahaha.

Ah, okay, I know who you are! You were camped right next to our trailer, David is your brother. He's a cool dude, been camping with him a couple times now and he let me borrow one of his bikes when lance, bob, and I went to kings cyn. :thumbup:

Congrats on the new rig!

kafene
12-12-2009, 10:00 PM

Ah, okay, I know who you are! You were camped right next to our trailer, David is your brother. He's a cool dude, been camping with him a couple times now and he let me borrow one of his bikes when lance, bob, and I went to kings cyn. :thumbup:

Congrats on the new rig!

Thanks! I couldn't be happier. I really thought I like my PreRunner, but I absolutely LOVE the 4Runner!! This is when it starts to dent my pocket book :)

Bob98SR5
12-12-2009, 10:52 PM
(mark, remember when we were talking about your truck purchase waaay back when...and i said "dude, just get the 4x4, you'll regret it if you dont)

I TOLD YA SO!!! ;P

Congrats on the purchase. Can't wait to see it

expatoz
12-14-2009, 08:19 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! I couldn't find anything on the documentation from the dealer regarding model, but I did look under at the shocks and did notice the "brake line" looking things coming out of them. Also noticed the new insurance paper and it says Sport on it. At this point, I think I'm just going to plan on doing the 1.5" body lift. Regarding the tires, I'll look into the larger 275x70x17 expatoz mentioned and see how close it gets. Either that, or I'll stick with the 265x70x17 that are on them now.

So expatoz, what part of SoCal are you in? I live in Chino. :)

kafene.

Other side - Oak Park, which is on the Ventura/LA county line.

I ran 275's first with a spacer lift on the XREAS, then with a 2" suspension lift (OME). Only rubbing was on the plastic triangles in front of the tires (front wheel well) which most people just trim off with a knife. I am not sure how you would go with 275's and a body lift. It might work but not heard of anyone going that direction as a first step. If you do a body lift be aware that anything bigger than a 1" will cause some minor problems with body mouldings - eg the rear bumper will flex around the rear crossmember. I cant recall (been too long) but are the running boards are mounted to the frame or the body? If mounted to the frame a BL will leave a gap which will look pretty nasty.

Here's my recommendations for mods on a progressive scale:

CB radio and some basic recovery gear
GPS
New tires (AT or better)
Sliders
Spacer lift
Coilover front suspension and lifted rear suspension
Front bumper - winch, spot lights
Advanced recovery equipment
Ham radio
Body Lift - only if needing to fit 34+ tires

Cheers
Mark

expatoz
12-14-2009, 08:32 PM
PS - in case you haven't found this out yet - those lines from the shocks are you XREAS suspension. Basically the shocks are cross linked to the shock on the other side by oil filled lines and provides a firmer ride on road around corners. It has little to no effect offroad. They really work quite well on road. With this setup, you are limited to spacer technology to give a mild lift (around 2"). Spacers are very cheap and provide a nice look with little effect to the operation of the suspension.

Many people eventually move on to a higher lift requiring more expensive technology and removing the XREAS (which is pretty easy). I know Lance has done a good job of detailing this in other threads, but basically you either choose to go to stiffer and longer springs and matching shocks or up another level to coilovers. Some people go as far as coilovers and remote or piggy back reservoir shocks and coilovers but honestly - a VERY SMALL percentage of drivers need this. The main advantage being the oil in the shocks stays cooler thereby avoiding fade after extended fast hard use. Thing is most resi's are not really that large and cooling is pretty negligent.

Big bore (2.5") shocks and coilovers are plenty large enough except the Baja pre-runner style truck and then most of the resi's on the market are insufficient and you'd be better looking at a custom setup.

Anyhow, that's probably way more than your interested in for now but trust me - you'll be there before you know it LOL.

Cheers
Mark

kafene
12-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Other side - Oak Park, which is on the Ventura/LA county line.

I ran 275's first with a spacer lift on the XREAS, then with a 2" suspension lift (OME). Only rubbing was on the plastic triangles in front of the tires (front wheel well) which most people just trim off with a knife. I am not sure how you would go with 275's and a body lift. It might work but not heard of anyone going that direction as a first step. If you do a body lift be aware that anything bigger than a 1" will cause some minor problems with body mouldings - eg the rear bumper will flex around the rear crossmember. I cant recall (been too long) but are the running boards are mounted to the frame or the body? If mounted to the frame a BL will leave a gap which will look pretty nasty.

Here's my recommendations for mods on a progressive scale:

CB radio and some basic recovery gear
GPS
New tires (AT or better)
Sliders
Spacer lift
Coilover front suspension and lifted rear suspension
Front bumper - winch, spot lights
Advanced recovery equipment
Ham radio
Body Lift - only if needing to fit 34+ tires

Cheers
Mark

Thanks for all the info! I'll take your advice and pass on the body lift.

Mark.