PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down and getting a Moto Droid

mastacox
02-26-2010, 11:26 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417tyhtbj7L._AA280_.jpg

Well, my contract's up for renewal and after doing some searching and talking to my wife, we've gotten a pair of Motorola Droids :clap: We were worried about the cost of the data plans, but were able to make it worth it with her work discount (17% off the monthly plan), BOGOF on Droids right now, and my $100 new every two credit. I spent $115 and got two Droids shipped overnight (they come in tomrrow).

Man, I'm going to have to figure out what apps I need first :lol:

4x4mike
02-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Let us know what you think of them. I've got an LG env Touch and was thinking about upgrading to a Droid.

mastacox
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Let us know what you think of them. I've got an LG env Touch and was thinking about upgrading to a Droid.

Cassy was originally considering an env3, but you have to buy a $10/mo data plan for it, and she would rather have full internet functionality. The Droid will give us the chance to combine calendars, check email, surf the web, etc.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of the Google Maps navigation, she's looking forward to the automatic price comparison app that you scan barcodes with...

Bob98SR5
02-26-2010, 01:46 PM
the only knock i have about it is how close the top row of keys are to the sliding display. i could not and did not get used to it. other than that, it looks slick

let us know how it works out for you

4x4mike
02-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Cassy was originally considering an env3, but you have to buy a $10/mo data plan for it, and she would rather have full internet functionality. The Droid will give us the chance to combine calendars, check email, surf the web, etc.

I'm looking forward to trying out some of the Google Maps navigation, she's looking forward to the automatic price comparison app that you scan barcodes with...

I've got the data plan with unlimited texts and I pay $61/mo. I've got full internet and everything with my Touch.

A scanner would be fun to play with.

Okie81
02-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I was considering a droid so I read through this whole thread: http://www.yotatech.com/f5/verizon-motorola-unveil-droid-196014 :confused: and decided on an Iphone

mastacox
02-27-2010, 12:50 PM
I was considering a droid so I read through this whole thread: http://www.yotatech.com/f5/verizon-motorola-unveil-droid-196014 :confused: and decided on an Iphone

Yeah I've been avoiding posting in there, I just don't feel like getting involved in Shrek's Droid love fest.

That being said, I wouldn't consider going with an iPhone unless it was available through Verizon.

DHC6twinotter
02-27-2010, 12:56 PM
Does the Droid support Flash? I want an iphone, but I'm bummed that it doesn't support Flash. :(

mastacox
02-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Does the Droid support Flash? I want an iphone, but I'm bummed that it doesn't support Flash. :(

Pretty soon here Adobe will be releasing Flash 10.1 for Android. I think it will be coming out around the time Android 2.1 is released...

2ndGen
02-28-2010, 02:34 PM
me and the wife went through this 4 weeks ago. when we went to the store, I couldn't believe how expensive those plans for the smart phones are. I ended up bought 2 phones off CL for $100 and signed up with AT&T with NO contract, $60/mo for 2 lines.

mastacox
02-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Different strokes for different folks... I'm looking forward to having a miniature laptop in the palm of my hand :hillbill:

On another note, frickin' FedEx didn't deliver on Saturday, so I've been having to wait until Monday for the phone... The anticipation is killing me!!!! :ban: :ban: :ban:

mastacox
03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm posting this on my new phone! This is frickin' awesome!

4x4mike
03-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Cool.

(From my phone)

mastacox
03-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Well I'm definitely going to enjoy this thing , it is literally a miniature computer. I've downloaded a small collection of apps and have been figuring out all of the little bells and whistles.

Most of all I can get on the interwebs from anywhere, looking forward to being able to surf in the airport, in the car, anywhere : )

DHC6twinotter
03-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Does Verizon allow tethering with the Droid? If so, that would be a major selling point for me. I played around with a Droid at the Verizon store yesterday, and those are some nice phones. AFAIK, AT&T doesn't support tethering.

I will say the service we got at the Verizon store was horrible. Had to wait nearly an hour before even saying hi to a rep. :confused:

YotaFun
03-05-2010, 08:54 PM
AFAIK, AT&T doesn't support tethering.

Not so sure about that Dan, I know Blackberry users can tether.

DHC6twinotter
03-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Wow...I did not know that. I wonder if I could tether with the iphone?

YotaFun
03-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Wow...I did not know that. I wonder if I could tether with the iphone?

I haven't tried but I don't think you can since the way it syncs with the pc is through iTunes (thank you mac)

mastacox
03-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Does Verizon allow tethering with the Droid? If so, that would be a major selling point for me. I played around with a Droid at the Verizon store yesterday, and those are some nice phones. AFAIK, AT&T doesn't support tethering.

Although it's not really allowed by the Verizon TOS, it's possible to tether via USB with a simple download. http://www.taranfx.com/how-to-tether-motorola-droid

If you've even more brave, you can "root" the droid, which replaces the operating kernel/system with a hacked version of the software. This can turn your phone into a mobile hot spot too. I'm not brave enough to root my droid yet, but I might consider tethering later on...

The issue is that you could theoretically get in trouble with Verizon for it, but there isn't really any way to tell the phone has been tethered unless you're pulling a TON of data through it. With the android operating system being open-source, it very easy for third parties to develop most anything to get around Verizon's lockouts, so they're going to either end up allowing it, or trying to lock things down again. We will see.

I will say the service we got at the Verizon store was horrible. Had to wait nearly an hour before even saying hi to a rep. :confused:

I don't even bother with the stores anyway, the people are too used-car-salesman-esque. I shop online instead.

mastacox
03-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Well I'm still loving his phone, and happily my wife has really gotten into hers too. I'm really happy with it right now because the internet just went down, but I can still surf ; )

I haven't tried any tethering software yet, but the option is there if I decide I want to try it out. This phone rocks!

CJM
03-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Im kinda contemplating getting it, I have a free upgrade too.

My issues are:
-I have never used one of these super techy phones at all and probably will have "fun" learning it.
-I prefer simplicity, to me its just a phone
-The unlimited net service is like 30 bucks extra a month, I already pay 50! My brother told me (blackberry guy) that the unlimited net is the only way to go since you will most likely go over the limited one.
-I aint carefull with phones too much. I drop, lose, get wet, etc. Simpler the phone better they hold up.

But man, I really would like the net it would be nice to be able to screw around while im slow at work and it would be nice having the ability to look stuff up/what have you.

Sooo torn..

mastacox
03-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Im kinda contemplating getting it, I have a free upgrade too.

My issues are:
-I have never used one of these super techy phones at all and probably will have "fun" learning it.

Using phones like this is surprisingly intuitive. You'll be cruising around its features in a couple of hours, and after a week you're a pro. It's like learning any new phone, you have to figure out where the menus and functions you're looking for are.

-I prefer simplicity, to me its just a phone

Well this isn't the phone for you ;) This thing is basically a miniature laptop with built-in cell phone, it does EVERYTHING. For me, I like it because I'm all about figuring out all the features and using them to their potential. If you're a simplistic kind of guy, this is basically your anti-phone...

-The unlimited net service is like 30 bucks extra a month, I already pay 50! My brother told me (blackberry guy) that the unlimited net is the only way to go since you will most likely go over the limited one.

There is no "limited" service for the Droid or other top-of-the-line smartphones with Verizon. Your only choice is the smartphone data plan, and yes it's $30/mo more. Of course with a bitchin' data plan you don't need as many minutes to talk because you can email and IM ;)

If there was a limited option your brother would be right though, you can only take full advantage of this thing if it's 100% connected to the internet, it requires it for most of its amazing functionality.

There are 3G "media" phones with Verizon such as the enV touch that are capable of web browsing and their data plan is only about $15/mo. Yes you take a big hit in functionality, customization, and speed of browsing (and apps), but for simple stuff and amusing yourself when bored it could be a better "simple" choice...

-I aint carefull with phones too much. I drop, lose, get wet, etc. Simpler the phone better they hold up.

Definitely get a protective cover I guess. There's not much you can do to protect a phone from getting wet though so you might as well invest in an insurance plan and keep the phone cheap. I'm pretty careful with my phones so I don't need to worry about this as much (although I did put on a screen protecter and Seidio case which rocks).

But man, I really would like the net it would be nice to be able to screw around while im slow at work and it would be nice having the ability to look stuff up/what have you.

Sooo torn..

Well there are simpler phones out there that can surf the web (although they have some trouble with standard web sites). The Droid is a super-phone that has a lot of potential waiting to be tapped, and a gorgeous screen for surfing the web (like I said it's basically a mini-computer). Heck you might get one and find yourself using it's features more than you expected...

It's only minus is battery life, which I've found is basically a non-issue as long as you have chargers at your home and in your car. You'll need to charge it each night if you surf the web or use a lot of it's features like bluetooth and wifi. The data plan is more expensive for it than a 3G media phone though, and the insurance is about twice as expensive too (I didn't get it).

CJM
03-28-2010, 12:30 AM
I came up with a nice option:

I find a regular phone I like and I buy a netbook. I rather a real computer anyways, plus Im sure I would damage the droid to the point where they wouldnt replace it.

I once broke one of those motorola construction grade phones, apparently dropping it into cement doesnt count under warranty lol..