PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Google Earth Fail..this is getting annoying!

Obi..
02-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Notes:

~I still havn't switched to Leopard and have heard of a couple people having the same issue even with it.

~This issue also goes for GE-Pro users.

~Yes I have searched and that's how we came to the procedure below which is a stupid time waste.

Here's what the issue is, I am getting a load error with Google Earth for OS X 10.4.11 Tiger/Safari. Google Earth tries to open but will then promptly shut down, before it is even fully loaded up. The initial cure was to uninstall all of Google Earth, including clearing out the p-list, and reinstalling with an earlier 3.5-4.1 version. The problem then is even if you lock the program, it still updates anytime you connect to the internet, giving you the latest freeware version that causes it all to shut down again. Seriously I am sick of every two weeks having to do a clear and download, and of course Google has no actual helpful techs to talk to and promptly blames Apple, and I for one see the issue with Google as it was fine up until this month, and I am not on the newest Tiger/Safari.

Anyone else dealing with this on either Tiger or Leopard and have it fixed??

Heading down to the Genius Counter and possibly the Apple Cupertino campus tonight or Tuesday if we can't find a solid fix asap.

Obi..
02-27-2010, 04:14 PM
IOW..

This is a waste of time after two weeks: http://groups.google.com/group/earth-mac/browse_thread/thread/64fd78abeb1c4d78/deed55e4d12f33a9

Also a great waste of time: http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-89801.html

Yes I have also ran disk-utility as well as tech tool to no avail.

I might just chuck the entire program this week if someone doesn't help get this sorted, I think I've lost all of the Geo-Cache/Scavenger Hunt Stuff we just organized for an event..

This effinggg ssssuuuuuxxxxx. :(

CJM
02-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Simple, use windows which is what it was designed to run properly on :)

Obi..
02-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Meh, tried a Mac at all lately, like for a month? I will bet you'll never go back to a pc, ever.

No more windows or linux software for me, ever. It's a (solid in my eyes and mind) rumor it is b/c Apple didn't put in google as it's main resource once Leopard was released. It didn't work at all with Safari in Leopard until after 3.2 and won't work at all anymore within Tiger. Snow Leopard you have the necessary add-in of Google Chrome, which is the only work around.

More reason to chuck google software and stick with the solid base Mac's have.

4x4mike
02-27-2010, 09:20 PM
I went with my sister today to buy her 27" iMac. It's a pretty nice computer but mostly I think I like the screen. It's big, bright and super clear. The rest of the Apple programs seem really cool but I'm happy with 19" Samsung and Vista (for now).

CJM
02-27-2010, 09:30 PM
I cant stand the way mac works and the fact that everything I do on a computer would be 10x harder to do on a mac.

Been using windows for years with no issues.

I was only kidding btw, hence the smiley.

Lee
03-01-2010, 11:04 AM
everything I do on a computer would be 10x harder to do on a mac.
uh...

i'd like to hear some examples

troyboy162
03-01-2010, 11:07 AM
uh...

google earth count? :)

CJM
03-01-2010, 02:59 PM
The reason I dislike mac is the interface, im so used to windows that I cant deal with it.

That and I dislike if you actually pay for a program its usually 25% or more higher since its for mac. I also used to play tons of online FPS games, yea they make them for mac but they differ usually in some way thats annoying.

Im just not a fan and so far windows has worked fine for me, people who have issues are those who usually dont have a clue how to work a pooter :p

Obi..
03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Im just not a fan and so far windows has worked fine for me, people who have issues are those who usually dont have a clue how to work a pooter :p

Nope, no clue at all, and what can you tell me about those little virus things, I don't get that as my Mac never gets any?? :tongueout:

Also, what are these p-file and kernel things? :flipoff:

Lee
03-01-2010, 04:35 PM
uh...

google earth count? :)
if you mean in this case, no. This is the equivalent of running google earth on a pII gen pc with xp. :laugh:

works beautifully on my mac.

The reason I dislike mac is the interface, im so used to windows that I cant deal with it.

That and I dislike if you actually pay for a program its usually 25% or more higher since its for mac. I also used to play tons of online FPS games, yea they make them for mac but they differ usually in some way thats annoying.

the UI might take getting used to for a longtime windows user, but the benefits will be evident immediately if you gave it a shot. people who 'know how to work a pooter' come on different levels too.

setting up a software dev environment on windows sucks. I can turn my mac into a linux box in 2 seconds flat (open up terminal) and it natively runs apache webserver. combine that with components that were actually meant to be together, and software that works and you have a pretty slick experience doing everything from regular email/internet stuff to high level photo and video editing.

I also have bootcamp set up with Windows7 professional and that is a great OS. I just spec'd out a nice core i7 quad core dell for my dad. If I hadn't liked win7 so much, I would've demanded he make the switch.

I also have vista, xp and ubuntu running in parallels. try running all of this on just a windows box :laugh:

Lee
03-01-2010, 04:44 PM
to be fair, i use pretty high end macs though.

at work i have a 3.06 24" imac (we're upgrading to 27's soon), and at home I have a quad core 27" imac, with a 27" second monitor. :D

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ui7s3p.jpg

DHC6twinotter
03-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I like those glass door knobs. :drool:

Lee
03-01-2010, 04:49 PM
hahah

blame the landlord :laugh:

CJM
03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Yea I tried awhile ago and just cant get used to it.

Back in the day I was very heavy into online FPS and built many awesome windows machines. Since I mostly build my stuff too, I save alot of cash vs buying off the shelf.

IDK, its one of those things I cant truly explain.

Seanz0rz
03-01-2010, 09:57 PM
its like a preference between coke or pepsi. neither one is better in any tangible way, its just how you feel because of your parents, peers, etc.

i admire osx, and i ran it for a while on my pc. but, to get stuff done, i require a windows machine. AFAIK, solidworks doesnt work on mac! plus they are SO expensive, especially their desktops.

troyboy162
03-01-2010, 11:04 PM
dosnt that stink? it comes down to software.... i love linux but cant get a good navigation program for it and thats half the duty of my netbook so its stuck with xp

Lee
03-02-2010, 04:10 AM
there are alternatives or versions of almost every piece of software out there for mac, so there really isn't anything you can't do.

The only sticking point is gaming. There simply aren't enough ports to mac, such as with MW2. When I play MW2 on my mac, I'm booted into windows7 :laugh:

also I'm not talking about price here, that is an unfair distinction in my opinion because mac's aren't expensive for the sake of it, they're expensive because of the manufacturing process and setup, as well as the components.

Just try finding a monitor that's 27" and does 2560x1440 and looks as good as my mac does for cheap. Pair that with a quad core i7 machine with 8 gigs of ram and you aren't far off what i paid.

dell has a new 27"-er out that does 2560x1440 but isnt led backlit and costs over 1k.

Okie81
03-02-2010, 10:50 AM
dell has a new 27"-er out that does 2560x1440 but isnt led backlit and costs over 1k.

I saw one the other day...$1299, I had swim out of the puddle of drool I created while standing there looking at it.

Lee
03-02-2010, 12:46 PM
:laugh:

heck yeah. id love to get one once the prices drop. i picked mine up 'cheap' (sub 400 bucks), it's a samsung but is also a tv. i run an hdtv box to it as well, so I watch tv on it and use it as a 2nd monitor. Really great to have both.

Obi..
03-02-2010, 01:55 PM
This thread was dooomed from day one...my bad.

Lee
03-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Sorry we went off topic but it's a nice, civil discussion.. I don't see a problem with it :)