PDA

View Full Version : Got a Land Cruiser stuck on a snow dirt road

BruceTS
03-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Up at Mammoth Skiing and we decided to go to the hot springs. The dirt road heading there was snow covered and the ruts were mild, so I decided to go for it. Well we got stuck and tried to dig it out, needless to say it was a no go. about 11 pm and we had to hike out and got a ride back to Mammoth. AAA is gonna head out there and see if they can tow it to the pavement.

BruceTS
03-02-2010, 02:47 AM
no go on AAA he almost got stuck himself, I really did a good job....ugg Might try again tomorrow, if not we may have to get a hilift and shovels, do it the hard way...

4x4mike
03-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Bummer. Hope you don't have to wait until spring although there could be worse places to be stranded. I take it there is no travel down that road during the winter.

CJM
03-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Go get some boards to use for traction or cut down a few small trees, may work.

4x4mike
03-02-2010, 07:09 AM
I don't see the cutting of trees going well. Sounds like the recovery is going to be a lot of work, make sure to take pics.

cplvc
03-02-2010, 12:40 PM
Any chance to go get some chains from the Napa or Vons, that might help driving it out. I almost got stuck there last month after pulling out two stuck vehicles from that road.

X-Tool Pimp
03-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Hop on Marlin and see if any locals can go give you a pull......
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php

BruceTS
03-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Got it out! Was billed for 3 hours that included loading the lowbed and driving out, actual recovery took about 20 minutes. Tow trucks would have never gotten to it without getting stuck themselves. I used Chuck Villar Const. (760)934-2114 here in Mammoth Lakes, they usually do snow clearing.

The loader simply drove in, no problem at all and we hooked a chain and dragged it backwards all the way out.

So total cost was $450 and I didn't get pictures, just too tired from not much sleep. Hopefully ski conditions tomorrow will be better to make up for not going today.

mastacox
03-02-2010, 05:20 PM
I've been there man, did something in my 4runner very similar. Especially when the temperature is very close to freezing the snow is super slick!

CJM
03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
This kinda thing is all the more reason one day when i build up an expedition style rig to have a movable winch andhave points front and rear.

Glad you got it out, but man thats a hefty bill.

coronan
06-03-2012, 03:00 PM
The bummer about that area is there is not much to anchor to... Unless you have your own spike to pound in.

colemanmg
08-14-2013, 09:26 AM
All I have to say is to be more careful these days becasue accident can happy anytime. I lost family members so any time I hear about things like this I just cringe. :o