PDA

View Full Version : Installation of a Volvo Electric Fan and Variable Speed Controller

bamachem
02-28-2007, 07:49 AM
ELECTRIC FAN WITH VARIABLE SPEED CONTROLLER

First of all, what I bought:

FK-35 Variable Speed Fan Controller Kit, $109: LINK (http://www.dccontrol.com/index.htm)

http://www.dccontrol.com/cntunit160.jpg

This controller is something I ran across on another forum. Being an engineer, I know that by changing the speed of the fan depending on the difference in temperature of the coolant versus the desired temperature is MUCH better than a simple cycling of "ON" and "OFF" to maintain temperature. This varaible speed controller is a very similar technology that I use in everyday work to control pump speeds based on desired delivery. Also, this allows for a "soft start" with low amperage draw at startup. The controller can also be hooked up w/ an AC lead that keeps the speed at a minimum of 50%, and can also be hooked up to continue to cool after the ignition is off if desired. It comes preset for a control temperature of 180*, and other selectable temperatures are 158*, 166*, 194*, and 202*. The kit that I purchased comes w/ the controller, the heat sensor, all wiring, and instructions w/ illustrations. The controller can be mounted anywhere up by the firewall w/ the supplied wiring. It's about the size of a deck of cards. It's also a sealed unit, but since I already had the wire, I mounted it up by the Brake Master Cylinder on the firewall.

2000 Volvo S80 Electric Fan (eBay):

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/64/63985/V160907.JPG

Very similar in looks to the Taurus Fan, I got this one simply because the shroud seemed to be a little bit larger and fit our radiators better. This turned out to be a moot point due to the way that I mounted it. The Taurus Fan (either 1-speed or 2-speed or any other similar fan) could easily be substituted here. The volvo fan is 17" tall and 24" wide and 3" deep and is stock on models V70, S60, S80, & S70. The 1994/95 Taurus/Sable Fans seem to be the most similar to the one that I used. The 1991-1993 Taurus/Sable Fans appear to be the same thing with just a different shroud. Since the OEM Toyota shroud is reused, the donor shourd shape doesn't matter.

Assorted Hardware:

qty desc
4 - 1/4" x 3/4" long Zinc Bolts
4 - 1/4" Zinc Nuts
8 - 1/4" Zinc Flat Washers
12 - 5/16" Zinc Flat Washers

Install:

I removed my stock fan and shroud. The fan is held on by 4 nuts on the pulley studs. Take the top two off, tap the ignition to spin it over, then remove the other two. Remove the 4 bolts holding the stock shroud on the radiator. Remove the upper radaitor hose and pull the shroud out. You'll spill a little coolant here, but not too bad as long as the engine is cool. Now put (3) 5/16" Zinc Flat Washers on each stud, then followed by the OEM nut and torque the nuts back down when you get all 4 on w/ their washers that are used for spacer. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT since this is what continues to hold the pulley on!

Take the Volvo Fan and use a hax saw, cutoff wheel, dremel, etc, to remove all the "tabs" that are sticking out around the edges and above the main body of the shroud. This cleans up the electric fan shroud so that it will fit nicely in the OEM Toyota shroud. Remove the control box on the fan (if it comes w/ one) so that you'll have a direct connection to the fan itself - VERY IMPORTANT.

Take your OEM Toyota stock shroud, flip it over so that the edges that normally seal against the radiator are facing up, then lay the electric fan w/ shroud in the OEM shroud - also with the sealing edges facing up, so that it's essentially "nested" inside the stock OEM Toyota shroud. Figure out where you want the electric fan to be mounted (I put mine as high as possible for water crossings, leaving a 2" gap at the bottom of the stock OEM Toyota shroud) and also make sure that the electric fan shroud isn't any "deeper" than the stock shroud. If the electric fan shroud looks like it would be too "deep" and prevent the reinstallation of the stock OEM Toyota shroud, then use the dremel or cutoff wheel to trim the "sealing edge" back away from the radiator so that the stock OEM Toyota shroud will touch the radiator and make the air seal and not the electric fan shroud.

http://4rnr.net/6-11-05-003t.jpg

To retain the electric fan shroud to the OEM shroud, I drilled (4) 5/16" holes through both of them while holding them in place. I then used (4) 1/4" x 3/4" long bolts w/ a flat washer on the head and the nut and tightened them down. Two of the holes were in the "top" of the shrouds and can been seen standing at the truck w/ the hood open (see the pics - the zinc/silver hex-head bolts on top of the shroud are the ones that I installed). The other two went in the bottom of the shroud, one on each side just to hold the bottom into place snugly against the stock OEM Toyota shroud. You may need/want to cut out some slots in the bottom of the donor shroud so that the air can still flow from your stock shroud through the slots and to the electric fan. If you want, you can also remove the lower lip of the donor shroud completely. The more you remove, the better air flow you will get from the lower section of the radiator and the more efficient the fan will be at cooling. I didn't do either of these and I'm still getting sufficient cooling.

http://4rnr.net/6-11-05-004t.jpg

I mounted the Controller on the Firewall Pinch-Weld up by the Brake Master Cylinder. The wires were easy to run w/ only 7 total to run. One set of (+) & (-) from the battery to the controller, one set of (+) & (-) from the controller to the fan leads, one from the temp sensor to the controller, one IGN lead to keep it from running w/ the vehicle off, and one for the AC relay to trigger the 50% minimum speed when the AC is on. Oh, and the temp sensor is a sealed type that is prewired and just inserts between the radiator fins - very simple to install.

http://4rnr.net/6-11-05-001t.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased w/ the install. The fan is nice and quiet and doesn't run when not needed on the highway and the speed is varied according to the need. It's a big difference in the sound of the engine w/ the parasitic fan removed due to the reduced noise. The response seems to be improved as expected.

Total install took about 2 hours, but that was with the problems that I had w/ the Volvo Fan Controller that came on it and to also figure all this out. With a good understanding of what to do and with a little planning, this could easily be done in an hour.

:great:

MTL_4runner
03-27-2007, 06:36 AM
I keep thinking of maybe trying this one but I'm always leary of how well electrical stuff (esp the controller) will stand up to the brutal winters we have up here.

bamachem
03-27-2007, 06:39 AM
in my opinion, the controller should be mounted inside the cab in a harsh environment. if i ever get the time and need something to do, i will relocate mine. the only thing that i would worry about would be the exposed connections on the controller getting corroded and losing contact. no issues so far, but i would rather be safe with this one.

MTL_4runner
03-27-2007, 06:46 AM
in my opinion, the controller should be mounted inside the cab in a harsh environment. if i ever get the time and need something to do, i will relocate mine. the only thing that i would worry about would be the exposed connections on the controller getting corroded and losing contact. no issues so far, but i would rather be safe with this one.

That's what I was thinking too....if it wasn't something critical like a cooling fan, I wouldn't worry about it.

mastacox
04-06-2007, 07:01 PM
I plan to do a very similar setup on my '98 4runner, but with some upgrades to handle the extra heat of a supercharged engine.

I hope to use a DCC FK-60 controller (handles up to 60 amps), a Lincoln Mark VIII fan (pulls 40 amps plus), and a small electric fan in the hood scoop (maybe 8-10") to blow cool air directly on the supercharger's body. I like the idea of an electric fan mainly to retain full cooling capacity at any driving or engine speed, and help reduce heat-soak on the trail.

Putting the controller inside the cab seems like a good idea, I'll have to look into that when the time comes.

Cebby
04-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Brian - how thick is the Mark VIII fan? I am still researching a solution for my UZ swap cooling needs.

mastacox
04-06-2007, 09:55 PM
The dimensions I have seen on the internet are 22"W x 18.5"H x 6.25"D. Sounds pretty deep, so I was considering trying to trim the shroud...

hiloracerboy84
04-23-2007, 12:21 AM
When i did the mod, my first controller crapped out on me in a few days, and DCC was really good about it and sent me another one right away. The person i was in contact with said its supposed to be water/vibration proof. Anyone have problems with the amperage draw melting fuse holders? im running the fk35 and a s80 fan with the supplied wires, and a car audio type fuse holder with a 30 amp fuse. one day while doing some slow offroading with the ac on, the holder melted and i had to electrical tape the wires directly w/o a fuse to get back home. what went wrong there? i dont know if it was underhood temps plus the amperage draw, but i have an audio system where i run an 80amp fuse in the same type holder and it doesnt have any problems.

bamachem
04-23-2007, 04:19 AM
i've checked the wiring on mine several times and i haven't had any issues. is it the wiring between the battery and the controller or the wiring between the controller and the fan that melted? it sounds like it was the supply wiring to the controller from your description. you should probably contact DCC again and see if they might know what's going on.

hiloracerboy84
04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
the wiring from the batt to the controller. i have mine mounted to the pinch on the firewall. i have about 8" of 8ga. from batt to the fuse holder then the supplied 10ga or whatever from the fuse to the controller. the fuse holder melted so im guessing it wasnt heat cause i have stuff with 80a fuses in the exact same holder with no problems but i dont see why this happened with that one. just figured id ask you guys. couldnt have been excessive draw because the fuse wouldve popped

mastacox
04-25-2007, 09:08 AM
My fan/controller combo in the old '92 4Runner (Taurus Fan, DCC FK-35 Controller) melted a 30amp relay, but it wasn't a continuous duty one so I guess it isn't all that surprising. Also, my alternator died immediately after getting the e-fan, so I had to upgrade to an MR2 one. Other than that, haven't had any problemos.

sschaefer3
04-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Ok so I'll cut to the case here, Did this do any good? Did you get any more horsepower? That 22R on my Buggy is a dog. It could use some help and a header.

bamachem
04-27-2007, 01:02 PM
actually, it did free up some power. how much - i have no clue, but it was noticable. where it made the biggest difference was on acceleration. the motor does spool up faster when you get on it.

mastacox
04-27-2007, 01:04 PM
Ok so I'll cut to the case here, Did this do any good? Did you get any more horsepower? That 22R on my Buggy is a dog. It could use some help and a header.

I didn't feel much of a difference, if any; the 3.0l just isn't a quick enough revver to see the difference an e-fan might make. But my A/C got 10x colder in traffic, and the engine is less prone to heat soaking so I figure it was worth it. Now a 3.4 or supercharged 3.4, you might feel some little difference.

For a 22r, I'd say your money would be better spent trying a bigger cam and/or header, at least initially. You have reminded me I need to make a Wiki discussing the ins and outs of saving rotating mass on our engines with e-fans and lightened pulleys...

potsy
04-27-2007, 04:04 PM
This may be a stupid question, but why change out the fan at all? Couldn't you get the same results using the VFD on the OEM fan?

BennyTRD
05-04-2007, 06:44 PM
This may be a stupid question, but why change out the fan at all? Couldn't you get the same results using the VFD on the OEM fan?

The stock fan is operated VIA a clutch system off the crankshaft. These are electric fans so no it doesn't work. By doing this you lose some parasitc weight off the end of the motor which will help turns things a little faster. Plus if I think electric fans bo a much better job of cooling.

olharleyman
05-05-2007, 01:28 AM
ELECTRIC FAN WITH VARIABLE SPEED CONTROLLER

First of all, what I bought:

FK-35 Variable Speed Fan Controller Kit, $109: LINK (http://www.dccontrol.com/index.htm)

http://www.dccontrol.com/cntunit160.jpg

This controller is something I ran across on another forum. Being an engineer, I know that by changing the speed of the fan depending on the difference in temperature of the coolant versus the desired temperature is MUCH better than a simple cycling of "ON" and "OFF" to maintain temperature. This varaible speed controller is a very similar technology that I use in everyday work to control pump speeds based on desired delivery. Also, this allows for a "soft start" with low amperage draw at startup. The controller can also be hooked up w/ an AC lead that keeps the speed at a minimum of 50%, and can also be hooked up to continue to cool after the ignition is off if desired. It comes preset for a control temperature of 180*, and other selectable temperatures are 158*, 166*, 194*, and 202*. The kit that I purchased comes w/ the controller, the heat sensor, all wiring, and instructions w/ illustrations. The controller can be mounted anywhere up by the firewall w/ the supplied wiring. It's about the size of a deck of cards. It's also a sealed unit, but since I already had the wire, I mounted it up by the Brake Master Cylinder on the firewall.

2000 Volvo S80 Electric Fan (eBay):

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/64/63985/V160907.JPG

Very similar in looks to the Taurus Fan, I got this one simply because the shroud seemed to be a little bit larger and fit our radiators better. This turned out to be a moot point due to the way that I mounted it. The Taurus Fan (either 1-speed or 2-speed or any other similar fan) could easily be substituted here. The volvo fan is 17" tall and 24" wide and 3" deep and is stock on models V70, S60, S80, & S70. The 1994/95 Taurus/Sable Fans seem to be the most similar to the one that I used. The 1991-1993 Taurus/Sable Fans appear to be the same thing with just a different shroud. Since the OEM Toyota shroud is reused, the donor shourd shape doesn't matter.

Assorted Hardware:

qty desc
4 - 1/4" x 3/4" long Zinc Bolts
4 - 1/4" Zinc Nuts
8 - 1/4" Zinc Flat Washers
12 - 5/16" Zinc Flat Washers

Install:

I removed my stock fan and shroud. The fan is held on by 4 nuts on the pulley studs. Take the top two off, tap the ignition to spin it over, then remove the other two. Remove the 4 bolts holding the stock shroud on the radiator. Remove the upper radaitor hose and pull the shroud out. You'll spill a little coolant here, but not too bad as long as the engine is cool. Now put (3) 5/16" Zinc Flat Washers on each stud, then followed by the OEM nut and torque the nuts back down when you get all 4 on w/ their washers that are used for spacer. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT since this is what continues to hold the pulley on!

Take the Volvo Fan and use a hax saw, cutoff wheel, dremel, etc, to remove all the "tabs" that are sticking out around the edges and above the main body of the shroud. This cleans up the electric fan shroud so that it will fit nicely in the OEM Toyota shroud. Remove the control box on the fan (if it comes w/ one) so that you'll have a direct connection to the fan itself - VERY IMPORTANT.

Take your OEM Toyota stock shroud, flip it over so that the edges that normally seal against the radiator are facing up, then lay the electric fan w/ shroud in the OEM shroud - also with the sealing edges facing up, so that it's essentially "nested" inside the stock OEM Toyota shroud. Figure out where you want the electric fan to be mounted (I put mine as high as possible for water crossings, leaving a 2" gap at the bottom of the stock OEM Toyota shroud) and also make sure that the electric fan shroud isn't any "deeper" than the stock shroud. If the electric fan shroud looks like it would be too "deep" and prevent the reinstallation of the stock OEM Toyota shroud, then use the dremel or cutoff wheel to trim the "sealing edge" back away from the radiator so that the stock OEM Toyota shroud will touch the radiator and make the air seal and not the electric fan shroud.

http://4rnr.net/6-11-05-003t.jpg

To retain the electric fan shroud to the OEM shroud, I drilled (4) 5/16" holes through both of them while holding them in place. I then used (4) 1/4" x 3/4" long bolts w/ a flat washer on the head and the nut and tightened them down. Two of the holes were in the "top" of the shrouds and can been seen standing at the truck w/ the hood open (see the pics - the zinc/silver hex-head bolts on top of the shroud are the ones that I installed). The other two went in the bottom of the shroud, one on each side just to hold the bottom into place snugly against the stock OEM Toyota shroud. You may need/want to cut out some slots in the bottom of the donor shroud so that the air can still flow from your stock shroud through the slots and to the electric fan. If you want, you can also remove the lower lip of the donor shroud completely. The more you remove, the better air flow you will get from the lower section of the radiator and the more efficient the fan will be at cooling. I didn't do either of these and I'm still getting sufficient cooling.

http://4rnr.net/6-11-05-004t.jpg

I mounted the Controller on the Firewall Pinch-Weld up by the Brake Master Cylinder. The wires were easy to run w/ only 7 total to run. One set of (+) & (-) from the battery to the controller, one set of (+) & (-) from the controller to the fan leads, one from the temp sensor to the controller, one IGN lead to keep it from running w/ the vehicle off, and one for the AC relay to trigger the 50% minimum speed when the AC is on. Oh, and the temp sensor is a sealed type that is prewired and just inserts between the radiator fins - very simple to install.

http://4rnr.net/6-11-05-001t.jpg

Overall, I'm very pleased w/ the install. The fan is nice and quiet and doesn't run when not needed on the highway and the speed is varied according to the need. It's a big difference in the sound of the engine w/ the parasitic fan removed due to the reduced noise. The response seems to be improved as expected.

Total install took about 2 hours, but that was with the problems that I had w/ the Volvo Fan Controller that came on it and to also figure all this out. With a good understanding of what to do and with a little planning, this could easily be done in an hour.

:great:

Im on ultimate yota and still not seeing the pics

MTL_4runner
05-05-2007, 04:25 AM
Im on ultimate yota and still not seeing the pics

I fixed the links on Andy's original post at the beginning of the thread. :D

bamachem
05-05-2007, 04:35 AM
sorry!

thanks Jamie!

needa4runner
07-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Great write-up! I do have one question though. Did the engine vibrate or not run as smooth after this mod? I know on my old-school VW a lightened flywheel will cause the engine to not run/idle as smooth because of less rotating weight to help keep things balanced. Just curious. Thanks!

bamachem
07-07-2007, 06:26 AM
No, it runs perfectly, and it's much quieter than before.

mt_goat
12-17-2007, 05:17 AM
There is a new link for the DCC controller:
http://www.dccontrol.com/0820.htm

mt_goat
12-17-2007, 07:31 AM
Brian - how thick is the Mark VIII fan? I am still researching a solution for my UZ swap cooling needs.

Cebby, this link has some good dimensions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNARL%3AMT%3A112&viewitem=&item=160160052211

Cobra69
11-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm looking at doing this to my truck soon.......How well made are the Controllers? I noticed on there site they have no phone number. Has anyone had any problems ordering from them?

mastacox
11-24-2008, 12:36 PM
The controllers are very well made, but his site is down (and has been for a few months now). Not sure if he's done making them or if he's just taking an extended vacation, but I hope he comes back because I'll want an FK-60 some day!!!

Cobra69
11-24-2008, 12:39 PM
he has a different site here it is:

http://www.dccontrol.com/0820.htm

mastacox
11-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Well I'd say email him and make sure he's still making controllers, and as long as he is order one!

mastacox
11-26-2008, 08:00 AM
See for yourself: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=701.msg17186#msg17186

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l70/mastacox/Electric%20Fan/ElectricFan004.jpg

Small_words
01-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Brian, I have two questions for you.
1. Were you pulling 12amps w/ the Taurus fan?
2. Have you installed the fans in your current truck?

mastacox
01-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Brian, I have two questions for you.
1. Were you pulling 12amps w/ the Taurus fan?

I'm sure it was pulling more than that (I have since sold the white mountain goat). Like I said in a previous post, when I first installed the fan it melted a Radio Shack 30amp relay after a few hours of continuous hi-speed operation and toasted my alternator, so my guess is it was pulling at least 30 amps. I replaced the alternator with a 100 amp MR2 one and the relay with a continuous duty 40 amp Bosch relay; everything worked fine after that and I got the DCC Controller hooked up.

2. Have you installed the fans in your current truck?

Not yet. It's sort of a low priority in the list of mods I have yet to do to the 4Runner, and I suspect I will have to upgrade my alternator when I do finally take the electric fan plunge.

Buck87
10-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I ordered a controller from DCI and did not receive a response; so after two weeks I tried to email and still no response; so I got a refund through Paypal. Now I have a Flex-a-light 31165 fan controller that I purchased through Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-31165/ . Is this a good unit? I have already cut up my Taurus fan and installed it in my 1987 4runner shroud, but still need to do the wiring. I'm thinking about mounting it under the dash so that I can see the indicator lights. That will make all of my large gauge wires about five feet longer than if I mount the unit near the battery. Do you guys think that that is an issue?
The install kit comes with all of the wire and connectors needed and one of those big maxi fuse holders and a 30 amp fuse.