PDA

View Full Version : CB Antennas: Firestik II vs Firestik FireFly

fenrisx
04-02-2010, 12:53 AM
I'm looking for a new CB antenna, and I was originally going to get a Firestik II because it seems this is the more common FS that people run. While looking around I noticed a Firestik "FireFly." The only difference between the two that I could tell is: 1. The Firefly is 60% lighter. 2. The FireFly is only rated at ~200 watts (the II's are appx 600watts).

The wattage wouldn't matter to me since I'm just running a Cobra 75wxst. No amplifier or anything of that sort. The fact the FireFly is 60% lighter does interest me though. It seems like this would put less stress on the mount, and mounting point, when the antenna is flowing in the wind.

Does anyone on here have any experience with the FireFly, or both.

I had a four foot Wilson prior. It was nice because it would flex 90degrees without breaking. That came in handy when bending it out of the way when opening the rear hatch on my 2000 4Runner. It ended up getting snapped in half when someone else closed the rear hatch on it. I figured I'd try something new this round.. (Also thinking of moving to a hood/trunk channel mount, and mounting on the front pass side hood area instead of the current area on the rear drivers side hatch.)

Thanks for any input

-Cody-

L33T35T Tacoma
04-02-2010, 01:06 AM
I borrowed my buddies 4 foot firefly with a heavy duty spring for last years Pismo trip. 6 words...

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT. If I was looking for a new CB setup I would definitely go with the firefly. It reached out several miles too. Very nice antenna.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c357/jlboggs/pismo2009/IMG_2003.jpg

Robinhood4x4
04-02-2010, 07:17 AM
1. The Firefly is 60% lighter.

No experience but that does sound better. It'll put less stress on things when it whips around.

fenrisx
04-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Sounds good. I think I'll give the FireFly a try.

habanero
04-04-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm no help on the antenna choice but....
With a little persuasion I made my firestick mounting bracket fit above the taillight. No more bending my (Wilson Flex) antenna out of the way, no more closing the hatch on it...
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/smcr/247-4779_IMG.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/smcr/247-4781_IMG.jpg

cplvc
04-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I like it, its light and it works fine with the Uniden 510 cb radio. I have the 4' firefly mounted on the rear BruceTS bumper with a firestik quick-release attachment. Haven't had a chance to stress test it. It whips around more than a firestik II on a trail. On local roads and freeways it remains steady.

Bighead
04-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I like it, its light and it works fine with the Uniden 510 cb radio. I have the 4' firefly mounted on the rear BruceTS bumper with a firestik quick-release attachment. Haven't had a chance to stress test it. It whips around more than a firestik II on a trail. On local roads and freeways it remains steady.

The Firefly whipped around more than I liked so I ended up going back to a 4' Firestik II with the HD spring.

fenrisx
04-08-2010, 08:22 PM
The Firefly whipped around more than I liked so I ended up going back to a 4' Firestik II with the HD spring.

Good to know. That shouldn't bother me too much, as the Wilson Flex I had was always wavin' in the wind.

Beve
04-11-2010, 07:43 PM
I love my firestik II

troyboy162
10-03-2010, 03:26 AM

and the heavey FS2 whips around less? i run a 4 foot FS2 on hd spring and that thing will flat out go mad if im rock crawling. i can only guess the lighter firefly would not have the inertia of a FS2. i need to do something since today on class 2.5 roads the FS2 was whipping around enough to strike my expensive ham antenna. i just cant grasp the firefly whipping more in a given situation. can you set me straight?

Seanz0rz
10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
i stopped using a spring years ago.

there is enough play in the quick disconnect that it moves a little. if i break it tomorrow, i got more than my money's worth out of it, and would buy another in a heart beat.

troyboy162
10-03-2010, 01:49 PM
ive got a little different set up then most because im roof mounted. you side mounted guys would hate flex because it means its hitting your paint/windows. i need flex to get under branches, but the FS2 is heavy and can can get whiped enough to bend the HD spring completly over and strike my roof. thats alot of force and the momentum of it builds as i a go through rocks. i expect a flexy antenna will still thrash around but likely not half as much on my setup. anyhow i ordered a light weight, cheap, well reviewed:

Everhardt TSM-4

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/everhardt-antenna-246943/
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c40/Rubid00/4ft_superflex.jpg

Crinale
10-03-2010, 10:59 PM
i have a wilson flex side mounted on a medium duty spring, and the thing pretty much doesnt move at all... it never hits the body

troyboy162
10-04-2010, 12:33 AM
good stuff Kevin. the FS2 is damn good in the 4' version but the wilson and this everhardt are sopposed to be pretty dang close or equal with there 4' versions. ill post up impressions when i get to using it. hope i didnt take this thread too far off topic, but the firefly is very similar to the wilson and the everhardt. from what i can gather. they would be in this order for weight/flexablity, but i havnt laid hands on any of them
1. everhardt tsm-*
2. wilson flex*
3. firefly