PDA

View Full Version : HID Headlight Options

YotaFun
04-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I am sure you have all read these things in nausea but with technology growing and people doing more and more modifications, its making me think a bit harder.

I guess I am seeking opinions here from everyone running HID's in the trucks, 4Runner to be more specific but anyone using a 9003 (H4) bulb.

The opinions I am seeks are as follows:
1) Color
2) Bulb Type
3) Headlight style.

1) Color:
To start off I am not a fan of the bluish hue that most HID light I see have, however I am curious if that somehow is a positive thing.
I personally thinking something in the 4300k, 5000k, 6000k variety.
Here is a site for those of you that aren't too familiar and may be considering HIDs yourself.
http://www.vvme.com/page.html?chapter=1&id=34

Also another reason I would like to try to stay away from the blue is due to the fact that it screams modified to cops around here, and unfortunately so does my truck period, and at a Automotive Technical school, cops feed off us....

2) Bulb Type:
The wonderful world of HID technology has grown and has left more options out there for us who require to beams of light out of one bulb.
However the question is, which variety of the two dual beam bulbs should I choose.
If your curious and for future reference for those who may be http://www.vvme.com/page.html?chapter=1&id=35
My two choices are either Bi-Xenon HID High/Low beam or HID Low Beam/Standard High beam.

Most of you are probably thinking why not just do Bi-Xenon, but this is my issue with them and i have a couple of myths that I would like to put to rest as well.
One is High beam is just fine, I don't really see the need to make it any brighter unless I was out at Pismo for a night run (which wont be for years)
Two is I have heard that there is a delay going from low to high, and in deer country here, that will just not do imho.

3) Headlight sytle
I just recently converted my headlights to the 99-02 style lenses.
But I was curious for those running HID's in those how they like them.
Beam issues, brightness, pattern, etc.

I was considering doing a projection mod, thanks to ICEMAN making it look a little easier then I had initially thought.

And if I was to do projections, which projector would be a good one to go to, and would it still be possible to do a dual beam bulb with the projection?
The reason I ask the last question is due to the fact that most cars that I see with factory projection lenses usually have a individual lens for high beams.

I appreciate all input as always.

Avdian

4x4mike
04-07-2010, 09:26 PM
This is what I can add.

As far as color I'd go with the 4300K. Anything higher in 35w will have a blueish tint to it when you look at the light (at least with the DDM kit's I have and have used). To your eye while driving they look clear and "white" but to other drivers they are blue. You notice the blue the most on reflective signs. I think that 4300K will still have a slight blue twinkle but nothing more than some silverstars that have that hid blue coating on them.

As for the headlights I'd run a projector. If you're going to do the project you should do it right. Go onto HID planet and look at the retrofit's people do. If you have your old headlights pop those back in while you mess with your new ones. You'll find that guys get the parts out of many different cars. Some are basic little hoods with a cut off shield while others have a shield that moves with the high beams. It doesn't look that hard but I'm going off what I've seen online.

I have a set of 55w DDM 6000K in my Hella 500 ff's. The light is very bright and very useful. When you look at the lights they have a blue tint.

My Hella Micro DE's have 35w 4000K from DDM in them and they are blue compared to my headlights which have the new Silverstar ultras that claim to be 4100K.

I put some 35w, 3000K DDM's in my wife's Subaru and they are yellow to the eye and while driving. If you stare at the lights they have a slight tinkle of blue here and there. They look like the Lexus and Subaru cars that have the yellow Halogen bulbs. On the street the light has a yellow tint and because those lights are so low (and adjusted low) they help a lot while driving and don't blind others.

Hope this helps, just sharing my experiences.

oly884
04-07-2010, 09:43 PM
This is what I can add.

As far as color I'd go with the 4300K. Anything higher in 35w will have a blueish tint to it when you look at the light (at least with the DDM kit's I have and have used). To your eye while driving they look clear and "white" but to other drivers they are blue. You notice the blue the most on reflective signs. I think that 4300K will still have a slight blue twinkle but nothing more than some silverstars that have that hid blue coating on them.

As for the headlights I'd run a projector. If you're going to do the project you should do it right. Go onto HID planet and look at the retrofit's people do. If you have your old headlights pop those back in while you mess with your new ones. You'll find that guys get the parts out of many different cars. Some are basic little hoods with a cut off shield while others have a shield that moves with the high beams. It doesn't look that hard but I'm going off what I've seen online.

I have a set of 55w DDM 6000K in my Hella 500 ff's. The light is very bright and very useful. When you look at the lights they have a blue tint.

My Hella Micro DE's have 35w 4000K from DDM in them and they are blue compared to my headlights which have the new Silverstar ultras that claim to be 4100K.

I put some 35w, 3000K DDM's in my wife's Subaru and they are yellow to the eye and while driving. If you stare at the lights they have a slight tinkle of blue here and there. They look like the Lexus and Subaru cars that have the yellow Halogen bulbs. On the street the light has a yellow tint and because those lights are so low (and adjusted low) they help a lot while driving and don't blind others.

Hope this helps, just sharing my experiences.

Very well said.

I have 55w 4300K in my Lightforce 240's and they are dang bright. I did have 35 watt's in my headlights, but after a few months of having them decided to remove them for legal reasons. If I had the drive (right now) to put projectors in, not only will you not be bothered legally, but you'll also enjoy the output and evenness of the light.

That being said, if you do decide to get them, aim them down a bit and you should be ok.

Seanz0rz
04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
i aimed my 6000k lights down a bit from spec when im partially loaded in the rear. this way, even when i pull a fully loaded trailer with a fully loaded 4runner, they are a tick below spec.

im using the stock 98 housings and the cutoff isnt bad, but its no projector. i do love my lights, very happy i have them because i do a lot of night driving. i have never had on coming traffic flash their lights. i think they look ok, but mostly i just like having the purer light in front of me. i dont care about the "bling" and never mention to anyone that i have them.

if i was to do it again i would get bi xenon 5000k in a projector housing.

iceman601
04-07-2010, 10:36 PM
1. Best Color temp is 4300K

2. You can't go wrong with a Bi-Xenon projector. With the E55 projectors, hi beams are activated via a soleniod that drops a lever in front of the bulb which focuses the cutoff line. They will flick down instantly when powered and has worked flawlessly on all my retro'ed headlights. It only uses one bulb which is a D2S.

Low beam
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/babyangel47/DSC05018.jpg

High beam
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/babyangel47/DSC05019.jpg

3. I tried running plug n play kits on the 4Runner and the Tundra and it had too much glare. I even tried using the aluminum shields that prevent the light from hitting the high beam area but it still had a lot of glare.

YotaFun
04-08-2010, 05:32 AM
I apprecite the the input as always gentlemen.

I was originally thinking the 4300k originally so I am glad I got some input on them.
Mike I will have to check out HID planet and see what people are doing, I just hit you guys up first cause I want to see some Toyota truck apps and opinions.

My truck still has a rake even loaded, however they are point at where stock should point however they still feel low
(park stepdads truck side by side with mine and aligned)

Sean, lol not looking for bling, but at the same time not looking to rack up tickets or blind people off the road.

Iceman, did you by any chance try an 9003(H4) bulb with a projection housing?
If I can I would like to avoid altering the wiring so incase I have to I can pop the regular halogens in place.

Also anyone have any input on the bi-xenon vers single HID low/HalogEn high?
Pointless just stick with bi-xenon?

Seanz0rz
04-08-2010, 12:52 PM
yeah the halogen high is worthless. its only good for flashing people i guess.

i cut my high beams and wired them to my lightforces. now i just have to do some trickery to get the lows to stay on at all times. havent figured out how im going to do it yet.

Erich_870
04-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Subscribed :)

Erich

Obi..
04-15-2010, 10:12 PM
*Hold it, headlight mod, auto to 5-speed swap, cripes man, save yourself ow before you spend too much like I did! :D

YotaFun
04-16-2010, 01:17 PM
*Hold it, headlight mod, auto to 5-speed swap, cripes man, save yourself ow before you spend too much like I did! :D

I am finding awesome deals on stuff, and the resources are becoming more readily available, there will be a thread about that Monday hehehe

cummins6speed
10-06-2011, 07:31 PM
Projector retrofit is the way to go