PDA

View Full Version : SD 'Yoters: Black Canyon and other Ramona goodies: 04.24.10

SharpStick
04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Who wants to hit some trails behind Ramona?

I was up there poking around along Santa Isabel Creek last weekend, and a few of the slightly more interesting trails are open. A lot of it is dirt road/fire road, but there are a few bits I didn't try near Black Mountain that are supposed to be not boring. A buddy of mine said that some of the more adventurous trails in Pamo Valley are open now too.

I was thinking about an :AM start out of Ramona, spending a few hours, then lunch and a return in the early afternoon. Nothing complicated, nothing that needs more than four-by and some balls.

STICK

NakSuKow
04-13-2010, 10:32 PM
Can you go into a little more detail about where you were? I am out in Santee and would like to check it out.

Marc P
04-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Sounds interesting..I thought most of the areas up there were private property?

SharpStick
04-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Hello again.

I went up Black Canyon Road out of Ramona (north on the 67 from El Cajon, then a mile north of Ramona), and then along the crick just past the bridge. It was all open gates where I went - I don't know the area well enough (yet) to venture too far off the barely-identified-as-legal path.

As far as I know, there is decent access above Ramona when the trails are open, and not all of it's private. There's stuff around Palomar too, but if we don't advocate and visit with the rangers, they're not in too much of a hurry to open gates.

STICK

SharpStick
04-17-2010, 05:48 PM
9:AM Saturday morning in Ramona.

STICK

wifesaysimadumbass
04-21-2010, 10:00 AM
and some balls

I have balls!

SharpStick
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
... four-by AND some balls. Do you own anything that can drive in the dirt? A Toyota or something? You can just hang on to my exhaust with those fancy gloves there.

Park ranger just reiterated that the trails are open, despite the rain.

STICK

SharpStick
04-23-2010, 12:26 PM
9: AM tomorrow (04.24.10), Kountry Kitchen in Ramona, just north of the 78 on the 67 (middle of town), next to the Chevron (which has air, and plenty of room to park.

This is the meet-up for a trail-run into the canyons and stuff behind Ramona (Black Canyon, Santa Ysabel, Black Mountain) - good old fashioned bonking around.

Keep in mind, this is going to be a well-behaved bunch. I insist. The trails are all easy to handle for anyone with a modicum of off-road skill, and there are rumors about a few newbs coming along. This is about exploring what's been opened back up in the good network of dirt behind Ramona since the fires.

Anyone who comes along tomorrow is welcome to come on-air tomorrow night (6: PM) on my show, 1170AM/KCBQ. We're going to talk dirty trucks and trails and off-roading.

STICK

Crinale
04-24-2010, 12:21 AM
well, hope yall have fun on this run... hopefully soon ill be making a few more runs...

SharpStick
04-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Excellent run - mud, rocks, intrigue, killer views, guns, the Sasquatch... Details to follow.

Please fan me at "Garage Hour" on Facebook too, 'cause we'll post more runs that are going to be covered on the show

STICK