PDA

View Full Version : Theft Cage for Catylitic Converter

ALEX_B
04-19-2010, 01:56 PM
Anybody installed a Anti-theft-cage for the Catalytic Converter on a 2003 4Runner?

If so, got pics of what it looks like, and where it goes?

Good Times
04-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Do you have a v8 or v6? For the V8 on the 2003 the cat is on the header so if they really want to steal your cat, they'd have to literally cut a lot to get it off so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

ALEX_B
04-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Do you have a v8 or v6? For the V8 on the 2003 the cat is on the header so if they really want to steal your cat, they'd have to literally cut a lot to get it off so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

> I have the V6.
> Am not even sure what the "Cat" looks like... I know that that exhaust pipes have several location where they Buldge out to about 4" diameter, and I'm assuming that these are each a cat converter(?)

Good Times
04-20-2010, 09:56 AM
I took a quick look at the parts diagram and your cats are located on the stock exhaust manifold so if they really want your cats they'll have to somehow dig in there and grab it which is going t be a task.

The 4" oval pipe at the back of the truck is a resonator and the one below the rear passenger area is the exhaust. If they really want those items you won't be hurting much.

Hope that helps.

ALEX_B
04-20-2010, 12:18 PM
I took a quick look at the parts diagram and your cats are located on the stock exhaust manifold so if they really want your cats they'll have to somehow dig in there and grab it which is going t be a task.

The 4" oval pipe at the back of the truck is a resonator and the one below the rear passenger area is the exhaust. If they really want those items you won't be hurting much.

Hope that helps.

> Hmmm, well what started my concern was reading in mainstream press that "4Runners" are often targeted for theft of Cat converters, because it's so easy to get them off this particular vehicle. That being said, perhaps my 2003 model year is not the one they are talking about.

Seanz0rz
04-20-2010, 02:39 PM
96-02 are the big targets for cat theft. i think a fully belly pan will stop any potential thieves!

Good Times
04-21-2010, 01:31 AM
The previous generation 4runners were more suspect to the cats being taken but for ours the cats are on the exhaust manifolds before it hits the y pipe so if they really wanted to steal it, it'll be a pretty tough challenge. Older trucks had their cats after the y pipe so it was easier for them to saw off both ends since it was exposed on the bottom of the truck. doubled w/ the height of the space from the bottom of the truck it was easy for them to lay under and cut away.

for ours since it's integrated into the y pipe if they really wanted it they would literally need to steal your entire headers (exhaust manifold) to get the cats off. I say too much work for that plus they'll need access from above the engine bay to get the bolts off..

Robinhood4x4
04-21-2010, 06:29 AM
plus they'll need access from above the engine bay to get the bolts off..

Get the bolts off? They don't take the bolts off, they just sawzall it..

Good Times
04-21-2010, 08:06 PM
true but I think the frame gets in the way. but if they really want to steal something I suppose anything is possible right?

Okie81
04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't hear much about the Cat-Clamp nowadays, anyone using those things?

Robinhood4x4
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
This is what I did for my 2nd gen. We've had a bunch of these stolen here at work.

http://www.robinhood4x4.com/UY/UY-Threads/CatArmor1.JPG

http://www.robinhood4x4.com/UY/UY-Threads/CatArmor2.JPG

Crinale
04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
thats a good idea steve... might have to do something like that when i get around to armoring my belly...

Robinhood4x4
04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Lance, are you sure that's where the cats are? I'm getting hints that there are 4 cats on V6 4th gens and FJC's. Two stuffed up into the engine bay and two down lower which are much easier to get to. Looking at my truck, I see 4 bulges in those locations.

Crinale
04-26-2010, 11:02 PM
theres gotta be at least 1 resonator... usually 2 on newer vehicles... which would be a couple of those bulges

Good Times
04-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Steve,

good catch. I didn't take a look at the exhaust manifold which has a pair (3 to 1 piping) and then after that there's another pair on each of the y-pipe before you hit the exhaust and the resonator.

Gotta say that's a lot of cats on there but honestly I'd say its too much trouble for someone to want to grab em. I'd much rather go after the older models where the cat hangs right under the truck and is easily accessible.