PDA

View Full Version : Newbie w/ 2003 4Runner in Anaheim CA

ALEX_B
04-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Hello All!

Would like to meet other members in my area, who could show me how to do basic maintenance service on my 2003 4Runner.

I'm a gear-head for motorcycles, but worthless for anything with four wheels.

Alex
Anaheim, CA

Good Times
04-19-2010, 02:51 PM
There's a bunch of gearheads in the LA/OC area. I'm sure someone won't mind an extra set of hands helping doing some maintenance on their truck so you can learn a few tricks.

Welcome aboard!

ALEX_B
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
There's a bunch of gearheads in the LA/OC area. I'm sure someone won't mind an extra set of hands helping doing some maintenance on their truck so you can learn a few tricks
Welcome aboard!

> Ok then, how about a show of hands for anyone interested in having a "Maintenance Day" in May, at my house in Anaheim? (near 55/91 freeways)

Wife & I will spoil you rotten with food! Or perhaps a Pot Luck, if there's enough folks.

I've got a cul-de-sac location, suitable for 3 vehicals; basic tools.

L33T35T Tacoma
04-19-2010, 05:45 PM
What are you looking to do? Sounds like you're almost neighbors with
my brother and sister in law. I'm always down for a day of wrenching.

ALEX_B
04-20-2010, 08:01 AM
What are you looking to do? Sounds like you're almost neighbors with
my brother and sister in law. I'm always down for a day of wrenching.

> I'd like to:
1) Change the rear brake pads (I don't know how to "reset" the calipers, if that's the correct term, after the new pads are installed; don't have the special tool req'd to do this either)
2) Flush the brake lines
3) Change the oil in the rear differential
4) Rotate the tires (My small floor jack can't lift the wheels high enough off the ground... I hear that the proper way is to use a "chain" to restrain the suspension on each wheel so that it does not have to be lifted as high)

Seanz0rz
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
welcome to the site! most of those items are easy to do with one or two people with limited skill.

research, research, research! before i started working on mine, i knew only some of the basics. i just started searching and reading as much as i could. at some point, you just have to grab a wrench and jump in there. you will eventually figure it out. nothing in that list requires great skill or even special tools.

for example, flushing the brake lines is just like bleeding brakes, except you do it until the new fluid comes out. just make sure the reservoir is always full. to drain and refill the rear diff, first remove the top "FILL" bolt. then remove the bottom and let drain into an appropriate pan. reinstall bottom bolt and fill with the specified fluid.

you are going to need some tools to do these jobs. it sounds like you need a new floor jack, but maybe not. to lift the rear tires (where most of the droop comes into play, not allowing the tires to lift off the ground when lifting the frame), put the jack under the rear axle, and lift up. put jack stands under so it is secure. for the front, lift from where is specified in the owners manual. again, put jack stands under the truck. if you dont have jack stands, buy some! 6 ton are the best for our vehicles because of their height. find a harbor freight close by: (www.harborfreighttools.com (http://www.harborfreighttools.com)) their jack stands are great and good value for money. even their floor jacks are pretty good, certainly better than our craftsman that pissed hydraulic fluid all over the floor...

good luck on your maintenance!

ALEX_B
04-20-2010, 04:17 PM
...research, research, research! before i started working on mine, i knew only some of the basics. i just started searching and reading as much as i could. at some point, you just have to grab a wrench and jump in there. you will eventually figure it out. nothing in that list requires great skill or even special tools...

> Well I've done all the research I think I can do on-line, at at this point feel that I should look for a better resource, namely a Real Person who's done this stuff.
> My biggest stumbling block is lack of a maintenance manual, which I need mostly for torque values. Then there's the Tribal Knowledge as well, which only an experienced person would have.
> I Wrench a lot on motorcycles, and even am active on a Technical Forum for Gold Wings... That being said, I don't know the 4Runner, so I think it's prudent to seek a mentor.