PDA

View Full Version : Roll Over on Heart Attack Hill in Anza Borrego

strykersd
04-24-2010, 12:35 AM
I saw this one my of my local club's website. It's a good reminder to how dangerous 4-wheeling can be.
4-Wheel Roll Over Accident Part 1 Heart Attack Hill Anza Borrego Springs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyIDNn73H4U&feature=channel#ws)

I too sometimes take my seatbelt off to get a better view of an obstacle. That and make sure you strap everything down inside your vehicles in case of a rollover!

Scuba
04-24-2010, 01:19 AM
That spotter sucked, and she needs to wear her seatbelt..
Glad she'll recover though

Crinale
04-24-2010, 01:45 AM
wow... thats scary... X2 on the spotter, but its easy to point fingers after a disaster. If nothing had happened, then no one would care.

Thank God for 2 things, 1: she will make a full recovery, and 2: she was alone in the jeep...

Marc P
04-24-2010, 08:52 AM
I have a lot of opinions on this...all of them bad. Remind me not to go wheeling with that club.

Crinale
04-24-2010, 11:55 PM
I have a lot of opinions on this...all of them bad. Remind me not to go wheeling with that club.

i feel very similar... but like i said, its really easy to point fingers after a disaster :-/ ... there were lots of mistakes made, but there are a lot of mistakes made all the time that dont end up bad as well... at least everyone survived

Seanz0rz
04-25-2010, 11:53 AM
this could happen to anyone of us at any time out on the trail, even with the best planning and spotting and practices, things go wrong.

i wish her a speedy recovery and cudos to the camera person. nice to have a documentation of what happens afterwards.

Scuba
04-25-2010, 01:38 PM
this could happen to anyone of us at any time out on the trail, even with the best planning and spotting and practices, things go wrong.

i wish her a speedy recovery and cudos to the camera person. nice to have a documentation of what happens afterwards.

"Any one of us" would know not to let the passenger side go up that far on the hill, just before she rolled...

Seanz0rz
04-25-2010, 03:59 PM
oh i agree, but ive had a bad spotter before. things happen, and its very easy to arm chair quarterback the thing.

Marc P
04-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Sean, nice of you to have sympathy for the situation. I counted 3 chances to correct her before she actually rolled....I blame the spotter. His hand signals sucked!

Seanz0rz
04-25-2010, 05:57 PM
oh i agree, and id hit that spotter when i recovered if i was her! he was an idiot and completely unhelpful. there were lots of things that went bad all at once for this to happen. driver inexperience, poor spotter and instructions, etc. it looked like if either of those had been better, this would not have happened. its an unpredictable sport, and that is why we love it. trail is never the same, conditions always change, etc.

troyboy162
04-25-2010, 11:07 PM
i think this will be a question i ask people prior to spotting them now. " in anzo was it the spotters fault?" if the answers yes then im done spotting for that person lol. this issue has been beaten to death all over the internet but in my opinion theres a DRIVER and the DRIVER is in charge because they are DRIVING. the moment the spotter needs to replace the driver then the trail is not where the driver should be. the spotter sucked but the driver sucked much worse to continue cross hill after after the jeep gave her those tire lifts that showed her a clear view of the direction she should go.

example of how this should have gone:"hey spotter whats over on my right? the jeeps getting tippy and feels like its climbing. am i clear to turn down hill at this point cause when i walked it i remember this was the place i wanted to be pointed downhill?"

Crinale
04-25-2010, 11:30 PM
honestly, yes the driver is in charge, but when its an inexperienced driver (like this most definitely was) that may or may not know what is safe and where the wheels need to be. this is where a good spotter comes in. he should have realized that she was going a bad direction and corrected her, because she probably didnt have the experience to know where she needed to be.

And dont say that if shes too inexperienced than she shouldnt be driving, because if she doesnt drive, how will she learn and become experienced? its not 100% either one of their faults, but they both had a hand in what happened.

troyboy162
04-26-2010, 06:08 AM
i hear ya but most people skip 40% of cleghorn while learning. certainly "heart attack hill" is not the place to figure out center of gravity and the driver is the only one that knows the drivers ability.

Bob98SR5
04-27-2010, 12:06 AM
ok i watched that thing to death. the last direction the spotter gave was a very animated straight arm to the right. that was the last thing he did before backing out and getting out of the way. the driver looked like he'd steer to his left but i think he just faithfully turned right. i dont think the driver could see beyond his hood too.

90% spotter, 10% driver.

BruceTS
04-28-2010, 11:51 PM
I think the driver would have done a better job not listening to the spotter. There were several times she was steering the proper line when the spotter guided her the wrong direction. This video is a classic example where hand signals FAILED again, but then again arm waving isn't a proper signal.

X-Tool Pimp
04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Sean, nice of you to have sympathy for the situation. I counted 3 chances to correct her before she actually rolled....I blame the spotter. His hand signals sucked!

X2
what's so hard about saying DRIVER or PASSENGER :headscratch: and yet no one else said a damn thing.... I blame that whole group that was watching

04 Rocko Taco
04-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Here in the southeast, its pretty universal. We say driver and passenger. No left or right, no hand signals. Just yell it out. Just try to limit it to one spotter though...

BruceTS
04-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Here in the southeast, its pretty universal. We say driver and passenger. No left or right, no hand signals. Just yell it out. Just try to limit it to one spotter though...

That's how I teach people, verbal commands, DRIVER, PASSENGER, hard to mess up that way. "Go left! I said left! no I mean my left not yours!!!!!"

Crinale
04-29-2010, 11:07 PM
iv never been taught to spot... the very few times ive done it i point...

Scuba
04-29-2010, 11:39 PM
I've gotten to used to spotting Troy. Him and I used to be great with the "DRIVER---- PASSENGER...!!!" but now we know each others hand movements, and we've gotten alot better at picking our line and being able to follow it without seeing it.

Seanz0rz
04-30-2010, 07:00 AM

That's how I teach people, verbal commands, DRIVER, PASSENGER, hard to mess up that way. "Go left! I said left! no I mean my left not yours!!!!!"
i learned this from bruce, and insist that everyone does it for me. even for things like lining up to pull fence posts with my winch, dad knew by then to give me passenger/driver directions. i feel its the most clear direction you can give as a spotter. hand singnals are hard to follow because you are looking at the spotter, looking at your left front tire, looking in your mirrors to see what your rear tires are doing, etc. i think this summer i will buy a handheld CB so verbal instructions can be given over the air.

Crinale
04-30-2010, 12:42 PM
i think this summer i will buy a handheld CB so verbal instructions can be given over the air.

that sounds like a good idea!