PDA

View Full Version : Another FNG from NC

One80Auto
05-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Just doing the newbie thing. Just picked up a 1996 SR5 3.4L/R150F with 190,000 on it. All the major maintenance was up there (water pump, timing belts, head gaskets, etc.) and it has the factory locker which was a big draw for me. I have already addressed alot of 4Runner issues based off the helpful information on this site (ie. clutch bushing), I look forward to learning more. A little wheelin' experience with a TJ a few years back but other than that I am new to Toyotas. But I love "tinkering" so I already hit the pick'n'pull and came home with a York and Mark VII fan. I'll continue to mooch information off of you guys that actually know what your are doing and hopefully contribute something at some point. All I know is after two-weeks of owning it I am extremely happy with it and finally have my long-term wheeling project. Any forum I have ever been associated loves pics so here is a stock 4Runner and then with the running boards yanked. First fix will be the tires. Based on the very in depth maintenace records it has had 245's on it for almost 100,000 miles....eeeesh! So my odometer is probably about 3500-3600 early. Records even mention that "the customer was informed of the incorrectly small tires".

DHC6twinotter
05-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Welcome! Good to see another NC member on here! Nice 4Runner too! :thumbup:

kregg
05-02-2010, 07:41 PM
...you guys that actually know what your are doing...

Don't let anyoone fool you. We don't have a clue! Haha! Welcome to UY and nice find with the E-Locker and manual!

Crinale
05-02-2010, 08:23 PM
very nice find... also, the incorrectly small tires were probably easier on all the suspension and braking bits than bigger would have been, so you probably have less wear and tear than the mileage would suggest as well...

welcome to UY, and we'll look forward to your contributions :-D

One80Auto
05-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Welcome! Good to see another NC member on here! Nice 4Runner too! :thumbup:

Thanks you all for the welcome.

DHC6twinotter,
I am in Fayetteville as well. I have to ask about your screen name. Do you fly a Twin Otter around here?

04 Rocko Taco
05-03-2010, 08:04 AM
Great to have some more south easterners on the board. We are a little "west coast heavy" as you might imagine. Welcome to UY!!

DHC6twinotter
05-03-2010, 06:12 PM
DHC6twinotter,
I am in Fayetteville as well. I have to ask about your screen name. Do you fly a Twin Otter around here?

Well that's just awesome! I'll have to keep an eye out for your 4Runner. Are you on Ft. Bragg any?

I don't fly the Twin Otter, but I'm an aviation nerd, and the Twin Otter is one of my favorites. Back when I lived near Parkton, a local parachute outfit used to fly them real low over our house. They are great planes, and it's nice to know they are going back into production. :thumbup:

One80Auto
05-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Well that's just awesome! I'll have to keep an eye out for your 4Runner. Are you on Ft. Bragg any?

I don't fly the Twin Otter, but I'm an aviation nerd, and the Twin Otter is one of my favorites. Back when I lived near Parkton, a local parachute outfit used to fly them real low over our house. They are great planes, and it's nice to know they are going back into production. :thumbup:

I'm not on Bragg alot, I spend most of time at Simmons. If your able to get on Pope you can check out the Golden Knights aircraft....I think they are Twin Otters. How big of an aviation nerd are you.....do you fly?

DHC6twinotter
05-03-2010, 06:58 PM
It's been a while since I've been on any of the airfields out there. Last time I was out there was for an airshow back about 8 years ago. I don't remember if it was Pope or Simmons, but I want to say Simmons. I have a DOD rapid gate pass that I use to drive to work on base everyday, but I'm not sure if I can use it to get on Pope. The Golden Knights used to use the Twin Otters, but lately I've seen them flying around a modified Dash 8 (I think). They probably still have their Twin Otters too.

I'm not a pilot, but I have completed the basic ground school about 7 years ago. I don't think I remember anything anymore...lol.

One80Auto
05-04-2010, 09:02 AM
It's been a while since I've been on any of the airfields out there. Last time I was out there was for an airshow back about 8 years ago. I don't remember if it was Pope or Simmons, but I want to say Simmons. I have a DOD rapid gate pass that I use to drive to work on base everyday, but I'm not sure if I can use it to get on Pope. The Golden Knights used to use the Twin Otters, but lately I've seen them flying around a modified Dash 8 (I think). They probably still have their Twin Otters too.

I'm not a pilot, but I have completed the basic ground school about 7 years ago. I don't think I remember anything anymore...lol.

Well keep after it. I have been in the aviation business for 15 years now and have loved every minute of it. Currently flying what's in my avatar but I started in the civilian world teaching on the fixed-wing side as well. Looking forward to getting back to doing it recreationally, so I can enjoy it even more.