PDA

View Full Version : I "want" a Lexus LFA!!

Obi..
05-03-2010, 10:29 PM
OK, here I was thinking ever since August of last year that the FT-86 was a really nice build as far as a possible reintroduction of a possible Supra.
http://images.theage.com.au/2009/10/07/774761/Toyota_FT86_1_600-600x400.jpg

Well, I was wrong.. Honestly, Game over, I'm done, let me go man..I don't "need" another car, let alone another 4Runner, but this thing is S-I-C-K!!
http://www.autoincar.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/lexus-lfa-4.jpg

http://www.lexus.com/LFA/
Top Gear Lexus LFA HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJJZe_vXfHE#ws)

*Props goto Lance for the spoiler info on the pre-production Lexus LFA. I got to see one a few weeks back, but at the time couldn't talk about it.
re: http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=8675.msg83795

paddlenbike
05-04-2010, 07:36 AM
They tested the LF-A on TopGear last week. They basically said it was a great car but twice the price as a Ferrari and lacking the driving experience. It is super nice though. I've never seen the FT-86, I will have to look that one up.

slosurfer
05-04-2010, 10:29 AM
I know someone who rode in one on a track. :) Let's just say that they were pretty impressed. :)

4x4mike
05-04-2010, 10:42 AM
There are pictures somewhere, right?

YotaFun
05-04-2010, 10:53 AM
The LFA is beautiful, the sound of it is just sick.

In the words of Top Gear about the engine "Its a V10 thats the size of a V8 and weights as much as a V6!"

oly884
05-04-2010, 12:34 PM
They tested the LF-A on TopGear last week. They basically said it was a great car but twice the price as a Ferrari and lacking the driving experience. It is super nice though. I've never seen the FT-86, I will have to look that one up.

I just watched that episode.

Beautiful car, but it will fail miserably. If they could have brought that car to the market for <$150k they would be selling them like hotcakes. However, STARTING at $375k is out of this world. I could accept that if it was in the hypercar category, but it simply isn't.

fenrisx
05-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I watched that episode last night, and then downloaded it so I could watch it again. It is a super nice looking car, but the price is up there.

I like the FT-86 as well. I thought the 86 was a nod to the AE86 Corolla though, and didn't think it would be a 'Supra' replacement. I'd take either though. :)

troyboy162
05-04-2010, 12:49 PM
the price is a bummer. looks great though but lots of cars look better in that price range

Crinale
05-04-2010, 08:49 PM
the price is a bummer. looks great though but lots of cars look better in that price range

x2 ... People would (and do) pay that much for a German or Italian sports car but the arent going to spend $400K on a Toyota... im sorry, but they wont. Fast car Fail #2 Toyota... (#1 being the IS-F going after the m3)

paddlenbike
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I like the FT86 though! I would probably be forced to buy one if it had a small 6 rather than a Subaru 4.

Crinale
05-05-2010, 11:23 AM
whats wrong with a subaru 4? i drove a subaru for a while, and there is nothing like the boxer rumble ;)

YotaFun
05-05-2010, 11:31 AM
x2 ... People would (and do) pay that much for a German or Italian sports car but the arent going to spend $400K on a Toyota... im sorry, but they wont. Fast car Fail #2 Toyota... (#1 being the IS-F going after the m3)

Whoa Whoa Whoa, The IS-F is not a fail, just needs a little more tweaking thats all....
IS-F fail :( no its def worth it

Crinale
05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
The IS-F would have been great with a real transmission... the real fail was making the 8speed slushbox the only tranny option... throw a REAL 6 speed manual (with 3 pedals) in there and tune the suspension a bit better and THEN itll be a real car...

paddlenbike
05-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I agree entirely, if your target audience includes car aficianados you need to offer a proper manual transmission. The BMW 3-series repeatedly wins awards for being a true driver's car. In 2001 Lexus tried to compete by offering the IS300 and it had some really nice mechnicals--a 2JZ inline-6, rear drive, european styling, but they failed to offer a manual. I can't remember who said it (Road & Track or Motortrend) but they basically said in automatic-only trim the car just simply couldn't compete with the 3-series in the fun-to-drive category. Toyota listened and offered the manual in 2002 and it became a serious contender.

As for the 4 cylinder thing, it's just a matter of personal preference, I don't like them. Six cylinders are generally more powerful, smoother, quieter and sound amazing. I don't like the sound of 4's, sorry.

paddlenbike
05-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Lexus LFA Official Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2M_ApO42Z8#ws)

Crinale
05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
oh that engine note... purely joygasmic...

not liking some of the body lines on it, but that engine is beautiful...

Good Times
05-05-2010, 11:56 PM
When the LFA first appeared many many years ago they originally had a price tag of around 250k. Obviously since then they've put much more time and resources into it which now has a price tag of upwards of 400k.

For TMC / Lexus, selling this car isn't for the average joe. They already knew that going into it and for them to straight up compete against the Ferrari's of the world was not going to be an easy task considered the Ferrari's have a rich history compared to TMC / Lexus who don't have squat. Rather than compete directly in their line of fire, they took a different approach by building a supercar that is easy to drive (which is key) and easy on the pocket in terms of maintenance. See one of the biggest complaints that people have with the supercars is that it's really expensive to maintain. Not only that many of the supercars require expensive drivers training or else you'll end up wrecking your nice expensive ride.

A good example is the Porsche Carrera GT... That GT is a beautiful car. I've had the pleasure of admiring one and even sitting in one. Never had the chance to drive it nor do I want to because I know how difficult it is to drive one. To be able to drive one of these super cars require extensive drivers education so you don't end up a casualty like many others who have wrecked this vehicle. I've been told that there's been more wrecks in this car than any other supercar out there because of the difficulty of driving it. Another exotic car would be the Ferrari Enzo... Same deal not the easiest to drive but definitely takes a bit of skills to be able to drive skillfully.

At any rate, when the LFA was designed they wanted the car to perform near supercar status (it's not the fastest or is it the quickest but it's pretty damn fast for me). They've added a bunch of new technology into the mix by making it easier for the average joe (with limited driving experience) to be able to drive this car comfortably without getting scared or even leaving skid marks in your pants. I think the combination of that and knowing that you're getting the Lexus reliability is the key to the price point that they're targeting.

Keep in mind that Lexus is not accepting anyone's $$ rather being very selective of whom they allow to lease/purchase the LFA. Just because you have $ doesn't mean you're guaranteed the slot. There's a tight selection/vetting process on who gets to buy the LFA. The philosophy is somewhat similar to purchasing a Ferrari. If you're a first time buyer, there's no way Ferrari will let you walk in to the showroom and let you walk out with a 599 per say.

By the time you're looking at a vehicle over 250k, the culture of who buys what and how they purchase it changes from the way we view purchasing a vehicle at 50k. It's really hard to describe the cultural difference but there is a complete change in culture/philosophy.

One side comment I'd like to make about the LFA. The first time I got to sit inside it, I was floored by how well built the demo model was. I was expecting the demo LFA be a rough sketch version but surprisingly it almost looked like it came off the production line. This is how much time and effort TMC/Lexus put into this project to make sure they succeed. If money was no object, this definitely would be onc\e car I could see myself driving everyday to and from work. I'd have the biggest ****'n grim on my face that you'd never be able to remove. I've read that o the driving experience isn't all that compared to a true supercar but I gotta say this car can handle very well on its own and I believe that it will definitely ride/drive better than a 599 which is about the same price point. I love the LFA (and I'm not being biased because I'm a Toyota fan) because it felt like I was just sitting in a Lexus LS but a sportscar version. When you drive a 599, you know you're driving a Ferrari. It sounds and rides like a Ferarri. Same goes for Porsche and other makes and models but this LFA was something else. It's so smooth that you forget you're in a supercar like vehicle because it drives and handles so much like a regular car.

Now for me that totally works in my favor because that means it's easy to drive and fun to drive and I don't have to try hard to drive it. Some favor being able to drive it more like a true race would be but for me being lazy n all, I'm all for making it easy to drive and look damn sexy in it! :tapedshut:

Note that the LFA's technology will trickle down to future generation of TMC / Lexus vehicles so in the end we all win. :clap:

troyboy162
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
interesting as im sure they will have to hype up the exclusivity of the whole thing to make up for the status that owning a Ferrari gives someone.

its kinda like a audi R8 thing going on only at an outrageous price.

maybe great wall motors will clone the supra for us? lol

paddlenbike
05-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I wonder what that crate motor costs. I want one for the 4Runner.

Crinale
05-06-2010, 10:42 PM
haha... probably more than a 5th gen 4runner TE :-P

DHC6twinotter
05-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Awesome Car! I love the digital gauge cluster.

Only car I would take over an LFA would maybe be an Aston Martin V12 Vanquish.

I hope they make a GS-F with the same V10 motor. :drool: