PDA

View Full Version : Virus filling up my hard drive!

Erich_870
05-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Hey guys,

I need some help. Yesterday or the day before my computer became infected with a virus that is filling my hard drive. It had been pretty full, so when I got a warning message that I was almost out of space I figured it was from a bunch of family pics I uploaded from my camera. I moved a bunch of unimportant photos (1.5 Gb) to an external drive to make some space and though I was good. A couple hours later I was full again. :tapedshut:

So I have updated and run AVG (free version), Ad-aware, and Superantispyware free addition. Spybot is running right now. Some interesting information, when I started Spybot, it asks if it can delete temporary files to make the scan faster. Well, it found 55,000 files! When those were deleted it opened up 15+ Gb of space.

Also, my outlook won't launch any more... :chair:

Give me some advice here guys, what else should I do?

Thanks,

Erich

Seanz0rz
05-12-2010, 09:29 AM
bit defender is what usually catches most of the stuff i have to deal with.

no experience with a virus like that, good luck mate!

Erich_870
05-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks Sean,

I'll try downloading it tonight and see if it can find the virus.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Erich

corax
05-12-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't have any suggestions on what to do right now, but this will probably serve asa painful reminder to back-up info on a regular basis in case you need to wipe the drive clean

Crinale
05-12-2010, 04:10 PM
i used Microsoft Security Essentials on my windows computers... hasnt let me down yet (it looks for viruses and spyware)

Erich_870
05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't have any suggestions on what to do right now, but this will probably serve asa painful reminder to back-up info on a regular basis in case you need to wipe the drive clean

Yeah, I've never had to do that before, so I'm completely unprepared.

I understand backing up files in case of a hard drive failure, but what do you do for programs?

Erich

L33T35T Tacoma
05-12-2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

download the free version. great program for an on-demand scan (not a scheduled nightly scan).

if you have the resources and know-how, the EASIEST way to clean out a virus is to take the hard drive out of said computer and install it in another computer and do a scan and clean that way. that way the virus isnt activly running, as some viruses guard themselves against antivirus software.

Is said computer a laptop or desktop?

Erich_870
05-12-2010, 04:26 PM
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

download the free version. great program for an on-demand scan (not a scheduled nightly scan).

if you have the resources and know-how, the EASIEST way to clean out a virus is to take the hard drive out of said computer and install it in another computer and do a scan and clean that way. that way the virus isnt activly running, as some viruses guard themselves against antivirus software.

Is said computer a laptop or desktop?

It's a desktop

Erich

L33T35T Tacoma
05-12-2010, 05:07 PM
If you have another computer of roughly the same age it should be fairly easy to remove your hard drive and install it in the other as a secondary to clean it up

Erich_870
05-12-2010, 05:20 PM
We're a one computer household at the moment. :hillbill: My wife has been monitoring several scans today, so I'll see what we have when I get home. I've not run any scans in safe mode yet, so I will download the programs you all have shared so far and do them in safe mode if needed. :confused:

Thanks for all the help so far, and keep it coming. :thumbup:

Erich

MTL_4runner
05-13-2010, 06:55 PM
Usually in a case like that I boot from the Norton CD and have it scan the drive from there. That way the virus can`t hide in RAM and should be wiped clean. Norton and Kaspersky have both worked well for me thus far.

Erich_870
05-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the replys guys. I think we've got it under control. It's been 24 hours and we have not had any increase in our HDD size. :thumbup:

Erich

Crinale
05-15-2010, 12:06 PM
yay congratulations :-P u have beaten the virus thus far

Lee
05-15-2010, 04:41 PM
http://www.eset.com/

BY FAR the best antivirus software ever made for windows. I would run nothing else. Doesn't bother you with a lot of questions, isn't syncing constantly, doesn't do intrusive scans, and won't generally slow you down over time.

it's all I run on my windows instances (xp / vista / 7 through parallels and 7 through bootcamp).